Wikiposts

WH Visa while OH on Student Visa???

Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice
Default WH Visa while OH on Student Visa???

Hello people

As me and my partner are both still in our 20's is it possible for me to go to OZ on a working holiday visa while my OH goes to OZ on a student visa? Also under which visa would it be best to put our daughter on?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:42 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WH Visa while OH on Student Visa???

You cannot get a working holiday visa if you have any dependents - so your daughter makes you ineligible for the WHV. You'll all have to travel on the Student visa.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice

Cheers for that, makes sense but just wanted to ask as we are looking at ways in which one of us can work more than 20 hrs. To be honest I think we will be able to survive on a combined 40.

We are taking enough money to pay for the course in full and pay fr the first years rent so hopefully this will take a little pressure off us on the money front. Daughter is only 2 so its while till we need to pay for school fees.

Has anyone any ideas to an ideal amount to take? Obviously the more the better
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts are you planning on going? Do you want to get a car/two cars? What type of luxouries (I can't spell) could you not live without (internet for us). Are you good at living on a budget?
We have been here for 6 months, in Adelaide, so cheaper rent than some places, we bought two cars, all new furnature (well some second hand) when we got here (including a 50inch plasma), we have phone line, internet etc and had to buy a fair few new clothes as 20kg isn't very much and I think we have spent about $20k between us (this is not including getting to oz in the first place).
Now we are both working (about 35 hours between us) we are not having to tap into our savings at all, and are still managing to treat ourselves more than we did in the UK.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Well that sounds a little more promising.

We are looking at studying on the sunshine coast, in and around the mooloolaba area. From looking at the house prices we would be looking at paying about $250 - $300/week rent (Is that about normal?)

Living on a budget should not be a problem (Well for me anyway, I know what OH can be like) Havent really thought about buying a car, was just going to rely on public transport as there isnt many places a train or bus cant get to in that area.

I guess as you bought all that stuff you had a decent amount of savings from selling the house? As we are renting at the moment by the time we get out there we will only have the money we saved for course and rent.

One question regarding house prices. After looking several times at houses to buy it looks like I wouldnt be able to get a 3 bed house for anything less than $280,000 and then I would have to pay 8-9% Interest which would be crazy repayment amounts. Is there something about the housing market in oz I dont know about? like government help etc?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gagno9
One question regarding house prices. After looking several times at houses to buy it looks like I wouldnt be able to get a 3 bed house for anything less than $280,000 and then I would have to pay 8-9% Interest which would be crazy repayment amounts. Is there something about the housing market in oz I dont know about? like government help etc?
The Sunshine Coast has one of the highest house price to earnings ratios (highish prices, low wages) in Australia....it's a distinctly 'unaffordable' market. $280k sounds very cheap to me....I know there will be places at that price, but where are they?

There is a $7k government grant for first home buyers, available to PR visa holders & citizens only though - a student visa would not be eligible straight away.