Waiting times up to 20 months

Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:07 pm
simon

Its official now, the DIMA website has now changed its waiting time for PR visas to 20 months as had been rumoured on this newsgroup.

Since we began our application the waiting times have gone from 9 months to 12 months to 15 months and now this.

Surely its not beyond the wit of these people to be able to work out how many applications they have in their system and how quickly they can deal with them.

Time for plan B.

Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:18 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

What's plan B ?

I'm thinking of starting a support group for 'limbo' people like us, physically still in the UK but emotionally already in Oz.

I need therapy...
Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:26 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Good Idea nixstuff, I and a lot of my friends would join your support group, its nice to know we are not in this alone. I didn't apply to live in limbo land, I am sure it said Australia on the application form perhaps they should issue a warning on the bottom in small print "applicants must be prepared to live an undetermined length of time in limbo land, weather and conditions much like UK" LOL

Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:03 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

The problem is essentially that time waits for no-one. Once you've found your reasons, once you've committed to doing it once and for all, it interrupts normal life. I don't know about you but I can't help but notice the bad news, the crap weather, the constant 'have you heard anything yet?' questions from friends and family.

We're actually sick of talking about it and JUST WANT TO GO. Also, depending on your particular situation, you disrupt your working life - once the seeds are sown you're stuck - imagine announcing that in 2 years you're getting a new job ? You're colleagues wouldn't think much of that would they ?

What's even more galling is that I'm sure most of us understand that the screening is totally necessary - that's the whole point of the system. Still, can't help feeling that it's just my bloody luck to get stuck in the middle of an IT initiative, being a graphics professional, and yet not qualifying cos I did a general business degree.

We just SO want to get there, get stuck in and start being part of the whole Oz experience - to work and produce and be a benefit to the economy. Oz is the future - meanwhile we're on pause, and our country of birth is on full reverse.

I'm hibernating for the next 6 months. And then PRAY IT ALL COMES GOOD. PLEASE.
Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:05 pm
ndaltonb

Hear hear, Count us in.

Maybe we can buy sun lamps and go and sit in the reception at the High Commission in London.

Alternatively we could volunteer to go in on weekends to help?

Nigel and Sally

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Good Idea nixstuff, I and a lot of my friends would join your support group, its nice to know we are not in this alone. I didn't apply to live in limbo land, I am sure it said Australia on the application form perhaps they should issue a warning on the bottom in small print "applicants must be prepared to live an undetermined length of time in limbo land, weather and conditions much like UK" LOL

Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:42 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Nigel and Sally,

you can count us for the voluntary work, we could say it was therapy!!

Susan
Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:48 pm
cb
Just Joined

cb has a spectacular aura aboutcb has a spectacular aura aboutcb has a spectacular aura about

You should point out that the 20 months only relates to Skilled PR visas submitted in the UK. Spouse visas still seem to be 6 months per the London website.
Old Feb 6th 2002, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Count me in!

I totally agree with all of the above and more.
We are about to move into a shoe box that we've had to rent for 6 months and hopefully get all our furniture into the garage!
All we want to do is start our new lives. Here- maybe we should go over to Oz on a rusty boat, then get placed into an immigration holding centre and then JUMP OFF the roof of the place. I reakon that it would be far less painfull and maybe quicker than the legal route!
Sorry for the sarcasm, but the waiting and feeling of having someone else ruling our destiny is driving us mad!
Old Feb 7th 2002, 7:28 am
Susanne

Here's a cunning plan.

I am making a simultaneaous application for a retirement visa. In this way, I will
get to Oz no matter which comes first, my PR visa or retiement age!!

Soo

Old Feb 7th 2002, 10:56 am
Dave

Surely they should prioritize migration officers. Or maybe these don't come under skilled?
Problem in waiting is they could always move the goalposts on occupations on the most wanted lists before processing those of us that have been waiting 15 months already. These lists haven't changed for ages apart from the IT fastrack.
The other worry is that Lou may not get his daughter back unless Harold can steer him on the safe and narrow. Sometimes I miss work.
Britbird - we can only dream of a shoe box. Luxury. Our paper bag is only ok when its icy, otherwise its damp and the walls fall in :-(

Old Feb 7th 2002, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Aww Dave hun - come and share our shoe box! We can whinge together then XXX
Chin up and stiff uppers!
Britbird
Old Feb 7th 2002, 8:54 pm
Redneck

The complaints seem relevant but there is another small issue to be considered.

Many want to live in Australia but does that mean they have the God given right to do
so? Isn't it Australia's right to determine who is allowed in and who is not? Hasn't
Australia got the right as an independent nation to set any term for immigration or
process applications in any time span wanted?

Face it, we don't need to allow anyone in. Don't forget that it is a privilege to be
allowed to immigrate into Australia and not a right.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 7th 2002, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

grieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the roughgrieco is a jewel in the rough
Default Some things happen for a reason

Please remember that some things happen for a reason. To all of those IT people please go to http://www.monster.com.au and under career centre choose the link ask an expert (http://content.monster.com.au/experts/). Then choose the technology jobs expert, and look at the couple (well to ALL) the messages that show the REAL IT situation.

Then you will realize why everything is slowing down.

Regards,

Grieco.
Old Feb 8th 2002, 3:23 pm
simon

That's not reallly the point. Like most western countries Australia would have a declining and ageing population if it were not for immigration. The Australian govt has decided that it needs immigrants to maintain its economy and has issued a set of criteria to be met. Unfortunately they keep moving the goal posts. Of course they can accept whoever they want but what they've done is issue an invitation to people and then withdrawn it half way through the process. People are giving up a lot to emigrate, homes , families etc. and lives have been put on hold. As i said originally surely it is not asking too much for them to be able to give accurate processing times at the time of application. If we'd known it was going to take 20 months when we applied we would have had to resign ourselves to the fact. What next, will they change the time to 25 months just as we approach the 20 month wait?

Originally posted by Redneck
The complaints seem relevant but there is another small issue to be considered.

Many want to live in Australia but does that mean they have the God given right to do
so? Isn't it Australia's right to determine who is allowed in and who is not? Hasn't
Australia got the right as an independent nation to set any term for immigration or
process applications in any time span wanted?

Face it, we don't need to allow anyone in. Don't forget that it is a privilege to be
allowed to immigrate into Australia and not a right.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 11th 2002, 9:02 pm
Redneck

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
out
    >
they
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

May be, may be not but it is essential that the country chooses the right immigrant.
People without skills needing support make the problem worse.

>
    >
    >
    >

I agree, that is not correct. However, this happens usually when Governments change.

>
    >

That is their problem.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, you are right. It is idiotic. Mind you, I have been told that there are limited
resources, particularly human resourses, in the immigration department and as soon as
the number of applications increases the waiting time increases.

The current Australian Government just does not want to spend money on immigration
and they do have a point because the majority of the population supports them.

Mind you, immigration of skilled people is not opposed by anyone. People simply got
sick and tired of the influx of people who do not integrate into Australian society
but maintain their old language and lifestyle demanding that Australia changes into
some carbon copy of their old country and Australians are expected to accept that
change of environment. Australians are spooked by the illegal immigarnts too who
arrive here by boat. Many Australians (the silent majority) is sick and tired of
multiculturism.

The Government listen to these concerns and simply cuts costs in the immigration
portfolio.

What do you expect if the Government makes it even difficult and expensive for an
Australian citizen to marry a foreign spouse and live with this spouse in Australia.
There are Australians whose legal spouse has been denied a visa, others have to wait
anywhere between 6 months to 2 years for even a judgement if a visa will be issued
for a foreign spouse.

Do you expect that a Government will treat foreigners better if they treat their own
citizens like that?