British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visitor visa 600 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visitor-visa-600-a-935787/)

Jojo16 Nov 20th 2020 6:37 pm

Visitor visa 600

Hi

just looking for some advice.

My partner is Australian and I am british. We are currently living in the uk. He got a uk passport when he arrived as his mum was born here. We now have a 3 month old son
Our plan is to move to Australia I have applied for visitor visa sub class 600 for both me and our son but there is a 5 month wait. I just wondered if there is any other route we can take that could get us there quicker?
Thanks

old.sparkles Nov 21st 2020 1:52 am

Re: Visitor visa 600

Originally Posted by Jojo16 (Post 12937907)
Hi

My partner is Australian and I am british. We are currently living in the uk. He got a uk passport when he arrived as his mum was born here. We now have a 3 month old son
Our plan is to move to Australia I have applied for visitor visa sub class 600 for both me and our son but there is a 5 month wait. I just wondered if there is any other route we can take that could get us there quicker?
Thanks

I would think your son is Australian and not eligible for a visa - you should apply for his Australian passport, and a spouse visa for yourself.

That said, only citizens and permanent residents can enter Australia at the moment, unless an exemption is granted - and there are plenty of Australians stranded around the world who are unable to return due to the limited number of flights.

Paul Hand Nov 21st 2020 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Jojo16 (Post 12937907)
Hi

Thanks

Apply for an eVisitor visa and a travel exemption. As mentioned, you can also get citizenship by descent for your son.

moneypenny20 Nov 21st 2020 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12938066)
Apply for an eVisitor visa and a travel exemption. As mentioned, you can also get citizenship by descent for your son.

Still unlikely to get them into the country any time soon. There's no reason for them to receive the exemption.

Paul Hand Nov 21st 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12938082)
Still unlikely to get them into the country any time soon. There's no reason for them to receive the exemption.

She’s the de facto partner of an Australian citizen and has an Australian citizen child (or one who is eligible to be), so all they need to do is evidence it properly and they will be granted a travel permission. They do not need any other reason. Usually takes a couple of days. Getting a flight is, of course, a different thing.

TeeTMI Nov 22nd 2020 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12938098)
She’s the de facto partner of an Australian citizen and has an Australian citizen child (or one who is eligible to be), so all they need to do is evidence it properly and they will be granted a travel permission. They do not need any other reason. Usually takes a couple of days. Getting a flight is, of course, a different thing.

Just to back up Paul's statement - if a person can show they meet the definition of being an 'immediate family member' of an Australian citizen or permanent resident then an exemption to travel is not required.