Visa Validation Trip need advice

Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

shaakq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Validation Trip need advice

Hi all

I have learned a lot from this forum and am thankfull to all... we are pllaning to make a validation trip in 2 weeks... I need ur help in answering the following questions

this is the inital plan
We will make the validation trip on for 10days... and maybe make permenent move in 2-3yrs...

should we apply for tax ID??? if we do can we apply the same day as we arrive or we we have to wait???do they give tax number same day as we apply???

should we open bank account ???move money to oz
apply for Drivers licence
any other important stuff that we should do while we are there...
oh and best VOIP phone company in OZ so i can bring the phone back with me and use it over internet back home...

If i cannot do most of the above stuff then i would rather go for a 2-3day trip instead of 10days...

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:05 pm
tl818

Default Re: Visa Validation Trip need advice

Hi,

A good link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/info/arrived_migrants.htm

Have a great trip

shaakq 寫道:

> Hi all
    > I have learned a lot from this forum and am thankfull to all... we are
    > pllaning to make a validation trip in 2 weeks... I need ur help in
    > answering the following questions
    > this is the inital plan
    > We will make the validation trip on for 10days... and maybe make
    > permenent move in 2-3yrs...
    > should we apply for tax ID??? if we do can we apply the same day as
    > we arrive or we we have to wait???do they give tax number same day as
    > we apply???
    > should we open bank account ???move money to oz
    > apply for Drivers licence
    > any other important stuff that we should do while we are there...
    > oh and best VOIP phone company in OZ so i can bring the phone back with
    > me and use it over internet back home...
    > If i cannot do most of the above stuff then i would rather go for a 2-
    > 3day trip instead of 10days...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:10 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaakq
should we apply for tax ID??? if we do can we apply the same day as we arrive or we we have to wait???do they give tax number same day as we apply???

oh and best VOIP phone company in OZ so i can bring the phone back with me and use it over internet back home...
You might be ab le to open a a bank account and move money into it but you won't be able to get a TFN or drivers licence without a permanent Aussie address.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:26 pm
Banned

esku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura aboutesku has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
You might be ab le to open a a bank account and move money into it but you won't be able to get a TFN or drivers licence without a permanent Aussie address.
Hi,
Both my wife and I have TFN's from when we were in Aussie on 457 visa 3+ years ago, will they still be valid on our return in a year or so's time?
Cheers,
Steve.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esku
Hi,
Both my wife and I have TFN's from when we were in Aussie on 457 visa 3+ years ago, will they still be valid on our return in a year or so's time?
Cheers,
Steve.
Yes. You'll just need to contact ATO with your new address, etc.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Gabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really niceGabriel is just really nice

Originally Posted by shaakq
Hi all

I have learned a lot from this forum and am thankfull to all... we are pllaning to make a validation trip in 2 weeks... I need ur help in answering the following questions

this is the inital plan
We will make the validation trip on for 10days... and maybe make permenent move in 2-3yrs...

If i cannot do most of the above stuff then i would rather go for a 2-3day trip instead of 10days...

Thanks
Before I did my validation trip last year I spoke to a person from the Australian Taxation Office and told her my situation. I wanted to make a validation trip of a few days then return to Oz for good after 3 years. She confirmed to me that I didn't have to open any Tax File, any bank account (which would unnecessarily accrue tax during the years I am away) and I just had to do nothing, just land, validate with the entry stamp, stay a few days for my pleasure, leave and return for good after a few years.
And this is what I did.

The Tax File Number (TFN) is sent to a permanent address in Australia, so as long as you don't have this address you won't be able to apply for the TFN.
And what's the use of a TFN if you don't reside in Oz? They will just add taxes on you for you to have what to pay when you return.

So rather go for a few days trip.

Good luck!
Gabriel
Old Nov 7th 2005, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

shaakq is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the response... Lets say i have home address in OZ then is it true that i can go and apply for Tax ID and Medicare and Drivers License the same day as i arrive in OZ or do i have to wait???