Visa validation

Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_TheGoose_Davies will become famous soon enough
Default Visa validation

Hi all - does anyone know what steps are required to validate your visa once it has been granted? I know I need to go to Australia within the validity period of my pcc and meds but do I just go through immigration in Oz at the airport and get my visa stamped? are there any more fees incurred? I'm surprised I wasn't given any instructions from Australia house or even in my email telling me I had been granted my visa. ... thanks
Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa validation

Originally Posted by Laura_TheGoose_Davies
I know I need to go to Australia within the validity period of my pcc and meds but do I just go through immigration in Oz at the airport and get my visa stamped?
These ARE the instructions, there is nothing else to know.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:14 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
These ARE the instructions, there is nothing else to know.
Yep, I think that you should re read your grant letter as it does contain instructions.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura_TheGoose_Davies
Hi all - does anyone know what steps are required to validate your visa once it has been granted? I know I need to go to Australia within the validity period of my pcc and meds but do I just go through immigration in Oz at the airport and get my visa stamped? are there any more fees incurred? I'm surprised I wasn't given any instructions from Australia house or even in my email telling me I had been granted my visa. ... thanks
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

toughspiders will become famous soon enoughtoughspiders will become famous soon enough

On the subject of validation I would say that the "instructions" in the Grant Letter aren't all that comprehensive. In particular we have a question around timing of validation.

It seems to be accepted wisdom that the main applicant needs to enter first. I quote from the British Expats Wiki:

The main applicant must enter Australia first (or at the same time as the rest of the family). The others must enter Australia after the main applicant and before the 'first entry date'. This is known as 'validating' the visa.

I just wonder where that information comes from - I cannot find it in the Grant Letter or on the DIAC website. We collected our labels in our passports yesterday with a visit to Australia House and the man at the counter said that as far as he knew there was no requirement for the main applicant to enter first. In his own words, "that system was a little bit antiquated".

Does anybody know? I have e-mailed DIAC twice about this on not got a clear answer on either occasion.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toughspiders
On the subject of validation I would say that the "instructions" in the Grant Letter aren't all that comprehensive. In particular we have a question around timing of validation.

It seems to be accepted wisdom that the main applicant needs to enter first. I quote from the British Expats Wiki:

The main applicant must enter Australia first (or at the same time as the rest of the family). The others must enter Australia after the main applicant and before the 'first entry date'. This is known as 'validating' the visa.

I just wonder where that information comes from - I cannot find it in the Grant Letter or on the DIAC website. We collected our labels in our passports yesterday with a visit to Australia House and the man at the counter said that as far as he knew there was no requirement for the main applicant to enter first. In his own words, "that system was a little bit antiquated".

Does anybody know? I have e-mailed DIAC twice about this on not got a clear answer on either occasion.
Generally it is printed on the visa and in the letter. Anecdotal evidence on here though suggests that sometimes it is omitted, and no-one seems to know why.

If its not on your visa sticker, or in the letter, you may be OK to enter separately. Most families come over together so it isn't an issue for them anyway.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

toughspiders will become famous soon enoughtoughspiders will become famous soon enough

Thanks Pollyana

The only thing on the visa labels is:

"CONDITIONS MIG.REGS.SCHED.8"

The only difference between my visa and my husband's is a "P" on mine (I assume Primary applicant) and an "S" on his (for secondary).

Having researched the Migration Regulations 1994 (as amended) it turns out that Schedule 2 tells you which conditions of Schedule 8 "may" apply to each visa.

In particular (for secondary applicants):

175.6 Conditions

175.611 If the applicant is outside Australia when the visa is granted:

(a) first entry must be made before a date specified by the Minister for the purpose; and

(b) if the applicant satisfies the secondary criteria for the grant of the visa, condition 8502 may be imposed

The "secondary criteria" basically means that the applicant is not the primary applicant.

Condition 8502 actually says:

8502 The holder of the visa must not enter Australia before the entry to Australia of a person specified in the visa.

So it seems that as no-one is "specifed" in the visa then as you say there is no requirement for me to enter first.

It may be an issue if my husband needs to go for a job interview (or even start work) prior to us all moving over together.