Visa subclass 461 / 457

Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

pom_in_NZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa subclass 461 / 457

Hi there,

I am a UK Citizen and currently living in NZ with residency activated 2 years ago.

In 2005/2006 I did a working holiday in Australia for a year and loved it. Now I would like to go back and live/work there (hubby not too keen atm but working on it). I have been in NZ for over 4 years now and am ready for a change.

I have two visa options:

461 Subclass - NZ family relationship (as I'm married to a NZ Citizen).
457 Subclass - Temporary Stay and sponsored by an Aus Employer (which I will have to seek as a Project Administrator).

My question is, is there a pathway to apply for PR after being on either of the above visas?

Also, I would like to find out if I would be able to get maternity pay/leave while on these visas?

If you have any pros and cons on these visas, it would be helpful to know more!

Thanks for your help

Claire
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa subclass 461 / 457

Neither are great visas and I wouldn't want to be on either. The advantages are that they are quick and cheap compared to some other visas (so long as you have the sponsor of course). I can't think of any other advantages.

Neither visa will automatically progress to a PR visa. On the 457 at least you have an employer who might one day sponsor you for a permanent visa, but it is a completely separate visa application and process and you are entirely dependent upon the good will of your employer.

You might be better looking into skilled migration, with either yourself or your OH as the main applicant. Your OH being the NZ citizen will never achieve PR in Australia either without applying for a visa. What does he do?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

An employer can sponsor a 461 holder for permanent residence, at least through Direct Entry stream. In fact, the employee on a 461 visa has a lot more bargaining power - if the employer refuses to sponsor, it's a lot more straightforward to find another employer.

I cannot see why anyone would want to be on a 457 instead of a 461, unless there is a very good reason. Neither visa is good long term, but 461 normally has more options and flexibility built in.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 25th 2013 at 1:27 am.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

The 444/461 is generally a better option than the 457. The 444/461 currently has the option for employer sponsorship to permanent residency, with some concessions through the Direct stream after 2 years with same employer/occupation.

Have you looked at whether yo may be eligible for a permanent residence visa immediately?

You might also ask an employer to consider sponsoring you earlier / immediately if eligible.

You might also look at whether you are eligible for a skilled independent visa which could provide permanent residence immediately.