Visa Stamp on Old Passport

Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa Stamp on Old Passport

Originally Posted by corgi
We did it last year when we had to validate. My hubby and son took old and new passports. But mine was in my new passport. We had no problem at all.

Also when we sell our house we will take old and new passports with us again.

But if anyone who has just returned or moved to Oz and had any problems they will of course keep us posted.
Julie

Just wanted to add that i also contacted the Australian Embassy recently as i'm in the process of renewing my OH's passport (with the visa label in). They sent me a response saying that he will just need to travel with both the old and new passport....
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

jayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nice
Talking Re: Visa Stamp on Old Passport

Last edited by jayadams; Apr 29th 2009 at 10:32 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:35 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayadams
calm down people........ may be im wrong ill informed keep the insults coming but im pretty well travelled more than most and i would firstly like to see anyone attempting to get into a country this way, brave to try (obviously australia is an exception although a friend was questioned at customs when trying to do this - this was some time ago thought) but i have travelled with many people and have seen them refused entry or the process complicated into many country's because visa's are in old passports and have not been transferred to new ones. Anyway at the beginning of the visa process there is advice given by diac to make sure you have sufficent years on your passport. anyway good luck to you all in your visa processes. im going to stick with the common sense option and make sure i have enough years on mine and save any complications best of luck to you all
What is it just a commercial, calm down!

I don't think the embassy is wrong.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:15 am
Just Joined

bonykj is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/929.pdf

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm

Change of address and/or passport details

Use this form to notify us of a change of address or passport details.

Examples:

You intend to change your residential address for more than 14 days while your application is being processed
new passport number
new name on passport
new passport.
See: Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details (105KB PDF file)

Notification of changes of circumstances

Use this form if you have applied for a visa and you wish to notify us of changes in your circumstances that have occured prior to the grant of your visa (if you applied for your visa in Australia), or before you have been immigration cleared (if you applied outside Australia).

Examples:

serious illness
marital status
engagement
a change of name
birth of a child.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:17 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem
Does the same apply if you don't have the label but are relying on the 'electronic' visa (I believe that folk from the UK don't have to have the visa stamp) and have renewed passports since the visa was granted?

Just checking as I fly out in 4 weeks!

Alistair
Hi Alistair,

As your e457 is linked to your old passport and you have not obtained a visa label, you may encounter difficulties when trying to enter Australia. It is important you advise the DIAC office that granted your visa of your new passport details before you travel, so they can update the details in their system. Make sure you carry both passports and your visa grant letter with you!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:17 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by saraliz
Hi Alistair,

As your e457 is linked to your old passport and you have not obtained a visa label, you may encounter difficulties when trying to enter Australia. It is important you advise the DIAC office that granted your visa of your new passport details before you travel, so they can update the details in their system. Make sure you carry both passports and your visa grant letter with you!
They should have a copy of visa details on their system also
Old Apr 30th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

cool_archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Visa Stamp on Old Passport

I travelled to Perth last Sep with visa on my old passport, no problems at the airport at all.
In Perth I visited DIAC office and in 5 minutes they stamped a new Visa Label on my New Passport and that too without any Fees, absolutely FREE.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:23 am
ian

Originally Posted by cool_archie
I travelled to Perth last Sep with visa on my old passport, no problems at the airport at all.
In Perth I visited DIAC office and in 5 minutes they stamped a new Visa Label on my New Passport and that too without any Fees, absolutely FREE.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Thanks for that useful info mate so the embassy is right then! As I keep on saying I'm giving up now.

Carol
Old May 1st 2009, 5:57 am
Just Joined

jayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nicejayadams is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Totally wrong.
actually not totally wrong moderator!

my statement was not clearly written my apologies! what i was referring to was the fact that when your old passport is sent back the corner is cut off the guidance notes also indicate that it is no longer a valid travel doucment and legally speaking the visa's in it are no longer. from first and second hand experience in many to most countries you will have problems getting into that country or traveling through onto another country if all your travel documents are not in your current valid passport. this is more common place outside of the EU. All i trying to do is share my practical experiences of international travel so that people do not have complications traveling as you are often relying on the individuals own knowledge of the rules at passport control!??? (this is not in anyway ment to be professional adivce and i am not liable in anyway it is my own experience and what i have learnt traveling around the world)

points to note

1 it is good to know australia have this policy in place especially if your passport expires after arrival. it is a pain when my brother in law has to renew his passport and all the visa that are in it.
2 however i would like to redirect you all back to the guidance notes for immigration and advice you should have been given by your agents over the recommended time remaining on your passport to cover your visa entitlement!
3 interesting now that i have my grant letter i would like to refer you all to the section 'evidence of your visa' and the advice given despite this ruling! especailly relating to first entry which is what i am referring to. after that as you are all saying you should rightly have no problems. so it is saying yes youu can travel with the visa with old passport take your grant letter as additional proof. alternatively the easy way to avoid possible delays is to follow diac's advice and allow sufficent years on your passport for your current visa.

all the best
kind regards

Last edited by jayadams; May 1st 2009 at 7:15 am.
Old May 1st 2009, 6:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayadams
actually not totally wrong moderator!

my statement was not clearly written my apologies! what i was referring to was the fact that when your old passport is sent back the corner is cut off the guidance notes also indicate that it is no longer a valid travel doucment and legally speaking the visa's in it are no longer. from first and second hand experience in many to most countries you will have problems getting into that country or traveling through onto another country if all your travel documents are not in your current valid passport. this is more common place outside of the EU. All i trying to do is share my practical experiences of international travel so that people do not have complications traveling as you are often relying on the individuals own knowledge of the rules at passport control!??? (this is not in anyway ment to be professional adivce and i am not liable in anyway it is my own experience and what i have learnt traveling around the world)

points to note

1 it is good to know australia have this policy in place especially if your passport expires after arrival. it is a pain when my brother in law has to renew his passport and all the visa that are in it.
2 however i would like to redirect you all back to the guidance notes for immigration and advice you should have been given by your agents over the recommended time remaining on your passport to cover your visa entitlement!
3 interesting now that i have my grant letter i would like to refer you all to the section 'evidence of your visa' and the advice given despite this ruling! especailly relating to first entry which is what i am referring to. after that as you are all saying you should rightly have no problems

all the best
kind regards
The visa is still valid even if the passport cannot be used for travel.
Many people use their original visa label for travel for five years. Its just not practical to suggest that when people apply for their visas they ensure that their passports are valid for this length of time. If you're in Australia its very easy to get a new sticker - just take both passports to the DIAC office, but this isn't essential - the visa label is only to prove quickly that you have a visa. If check-in staff are in doubt because of the two passport issue they can confirm with DIAC.

Note this only applies to visas for Australia - other countries may be different.