British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa refusal - implications for future applications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-refusal-implications-future-applications-933607/)

seawasp Jul 5th 2020 5:05 am

Visa refusal - implications for future applications

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can share their experience or advice regarding future implications of a visa refusal. My concern is that this might negatively affect my mum's future tourist visa applications.

For background, My mum was here on a tourist visa, which we extended because of Coronavirus. We were torn whether she should fly back to Europe and the thought of her being on a plane freaked me out, so we applied for another tourist visa onshore. My mum went automatically onto a Bridging Visa A. 4 weeks into the application my mum decided to fly back to Europe.

A couple of weeks later, IMMI refused the visa on the basis that she was no longer onshore.

The refusal is factually correct. She left the country and with this, of course, she was no longer onshore, or even needed the visa. I know that i should have called IMMI to enquire as soon as she left the country and it is totally my fault, but now her visa was refused and I am so worried of how this might affect her ability to come over to Australia o a tourist visa

I still have time to put in an appeal, but I am not even sure how i could appeal or on what basis.

Is there anything i could do to remove the 'refusal' element of the visa?

Really grateful for any advice.

Pollyana Jul 5th 2020 2:17 pm

Re: Visa refusal - implications for future applications

Originally Posted by seawasp (Post 12876731)
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can share their experience or advice regarding future implications of a visa refusal. My concern is that this might negatively affect my mum's future tourist visa applications.

For background, My mum was here on a tourist visa, which we extended because of Coronavirus. We were torn whether she should fly back to Europe and the thought of her being on a plane freaked me out, so we applied for another tourist visa onshore. My mum went automatically onto a Bridging Visa A. 4 weeks into the application my mum decided to fly back to Europe.

A couple of weeks later, IMMI refused the visa on the basis that she was no longer onshore.

The refusal is factually correct. She left the country and with this, of course, she was no longer onshore, or even needed the visa. I know that i should have called IMMI to enquire as soon as she left the country and it is totally my fault, but now her visa was refused and I am so worried of how this might affect her ability to come over to Australia o a tourist visa

I still have time to put in an appeal, but I am not even sure how i could appeal or on what basis.

To the best of my knowledge she cannot appeal,not least because the refusal was correct, she had left the country.

Judging by what I have been told in the past by agents, it should not affect another application as long as you explain the reason for refusal. It would be different if she was refused for a fraudulent application, dodgy paperwork etc but this is simply that she changed her mind and left the country.

Paul Hand Jul 6th 2020 6:32 am

Originally Posted by seawasp (Post 12876731)
Hi everyone

This shouldn’t be an issue, just remember that the refusal must be declared in future applications. For others - the correct approach would have been to withdraw the application when it was no longer required.

seawasp Jul 6th 2020 7:43 am

Thank you Paul Hand

I guess there is no point trying to put in an appeal on the basis of not having done my homework in the first place. I wonder whether there are any circumstances in which i could explain that COVID has put such emotional trauma on us, that we forgot to withdraw the visa.

Paul Hand Jul 6th 2020 9:07 am

Originally Posted by seawasp (Post 12877263)
Thank you Paul Hand

I guess there is no point trying to put in an appeal on the basis of not having done my homework in the first place. I wonder whether there are any circumstances in which i could explain that COVID has put such emotional trauma on us, that we forgot to withdraw the visa.

I really don't think an appeal is warranted in this situation. Just declare the refusal on future applications and, if required, explain the circumstances. It is not a huge issue.