Visa Question

Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Pigilene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Question

Hello all,

I just added this here as I saw 'Queensland', I apologize if I've done the classic 'post before reading'. I'm trying to read as much as I can, although some pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated

I've been in contact with a migration lawyer in Queensland and he came back yesterday with the news that sponsorship is my best option.

My profession is in schedule 2, I am an English (as a foreign/second) language teacher which I've been doing for 11 years in various countries.

Does 'sponsorship' mean by the employer or by the territory/government? The few English teaching jobs I've seen so far want the under 30 year old work visa and do not offer sponsorship.

What is the possibility of coming in on this visa and turning it into permanent residency?

I know age is a factor as I'll be 44 in March, but I'd like to join my brother and his family in Queensland, after my first visit over Christmas I totally understand why he emigrated.

I've been told that I can be sponsored upto the age of 50, but what happens then? Do I have to leave?

Another option is retraining, studying at an Australian university to be a secondary school teacher which is on schedule 1. The more I think about the more I like this option as weirdly teenagers are my favourite ages to teach.

I'd like to know, what is the possibility of studying and then gaining employment and permanent residency?

Either I could come in on a sponsorship visa and work and study, or on a student visa.

I asked the lawyer these questions but he didn't answer.

I'm in the progress of investigating all options, including updating my CV and contacting universities to see if the experience I have already in teaching can be credited to any course I may do.

I did a skills test for points online, and I have 50, Is the minimum 60?

The only way I could boost it is by taking an IELTS test and I could potentially get 70. Should I do it? Are points still requited for other kinds of visas? Where can I find out more information about the points system?

I don't understand why having family doesn't seem to count toward anything, various websites and people I've spoken to all say it should - any ideas?

Thank you very much indeed - any links to other posts or websites - would be much appreciated - I think I'm in panic mode.

Michelle

Last edited by Pigilene; Jan 10th 2016 at 6:20 am. Reason: updating info
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Question

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum

I've moved your post to its own thread so it will be more visible and increase the likelihood of getting responses.

Have you checked the state lists to see if any of them are sponsoring your occupation or did the agent tell you of any? You can find the lists with Google's help - just enter state sponsorship QLD (or NT, WA, SA, VIC, TAS, ACT or NSW).

You do need a minimum of 60 points to be invited to apply for a state sponsored visa - there are points for sponsorship which can be included in the total.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you would need to ask the migration agent whether he meant sponsorship by a state or employer - they could have meant either. I have had a look at the skilled occuoation list and your occupation is on the CSOL only but the only state that might sponosr is South Australia and only then if you meet their special conditions which may include having a job offer. This might be the best place to start as this would be the 190 visa which is permanent.

You would need to get at least 60 points for this skilled migrant visa and yes most people will take IELTS to top up their points.

I think it is just too late for you to pursue the secondary teaching route as a path into Australia. By the time you have finished you will be over 45 I presume so no points for age and at this stage I believe it will be impossible for you to pass the points test. It is rare that studying in Australia will lead to a permanent resident visa, but in your case this will be particularly so because of age and age points.

If you could find a willing employer to sponsor you, then it would be great if you could persuade them into sponsoring for a permanent visa, but can be hard to find anyone willing and it sounds like you have already looked too. You would need to get the permanent employer visa before you are 50 otherwise it won't happen. There are some cases when an employer sponsored visa can be obtained after the age of 50 but I do not believe these will apply in your case.

Employers can be more agreeable to sponsoring for the temporary visa, but then you are stuck with the uncertainty of being on a temporary visa. It will not turn permanent over time, you cannot apply for "PR" just because a certain number of years in the country and if you lose the job you will have 90 days to find another employer sponsor or you will need to leave the country. There is no age limit on the temporary employer sponsored visa.

To be honest, I cannot feel hopeful for you. Of the options mentioned, I would suggest state sponsorship by South Australia would be the one to pursue first. But you would need to find an orgnaisation that would be willing to make you a job offer, subject to you securing your own permanent visa. With the job offer in hand, you would seek state sponsorship. You seem to have lots of experience and maybe would be an attractive prospect for an employer. That is where I would start anyway.

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Dear Old Sparkles,
Thank you for moving the post. Much better idea. Ok I will look, so annoying my job is getting in the way of my research!
Thanks again,
Michelle
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Dear Bermudashorts,
Thank you SO much for taking the time to reply. You've given me lots of food for thought and a reality check, maybe Australia is just a pipe dream.
I'm going to give it my best shot and try South Australia. At least now I won't be putting all my eggs in one basket, and it's important to have a plan b and c.
I think the advice you give re secondary school teacher is sound, oh well.
Nothing ventured nothing gained
Thank you again,
Kind regards,
Michelle