Visa Queries - Legal Profession

Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Queries - Legal Profession

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research and have come up with a bit of a problem.

Currently, I work as a paralegal in the UK and have yet to find a training contract (which would enable me to qualify as a solicitor in this country). Therefore, I've decided to give it a go at qualifying in Australia as it appears to be easier.

I've had a look into Visa's and this is where the problem lies. There are basically two potential options which are available to me:

Option 1 - skilled worker visa
Fortunately, I meet the 65 points criteria but unfortunately my job (i.e. paralegal) is not in the list of the specified professions. As I am not a solicitor yet here it would appear as though this option is closed to me.

Option 2 - working holiday visa
This is the cheap and easier option but unfortunately it limits working for each employer for 6 months. I doubt that anyone would be willing to employ me as a paralegal for just 6 months unless it was on a temporary basis.

You can therefore see my problem. Has anyone else been in my position? Is there any way around these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:07 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Queries - Legal Profession

Originally Posted by El Supremo
Hi guys,

Currently, I work as a paralegal in the UK and have yet to find a training contract (which would enable me to qualify as a solicitor in this country). Therefore, I've decided to give it a go at qualifying in Australia as it appears to be easier.

I've had a look into Visa's and this is where the problem lies. There are basically two potential options which are available to me:

Fortunately, I meet the 65 points criteria but unfortunately my job (i.e. paralegal) is not in the list of the specified professions. As I am not a solicitor yet here it would appear as though this option is closed to me.

This is the cheap and easier option but unfortunately it limits working for each employer for 6 months. I doubt that anyone would be willing to employ me as a paralegal for just 6 months unless it was on a temporary basis.

You can therefore see my problem. Has anyone else been in my position? Is there any way around these problems?

Your profession is special, in a way that there is no skills assessment as such, you have to be fully qualified to Aussie standards and admitted to practicing the law - then you are considered as having had passed the skills assessment for migration purposes. I am not sure you can avoid going to the uni again, meaning a student visa and/or a temp worker visa to gain requisite work experience (unless you can claim a two year study exemption). in all, no shortcuts such as a WHV that is basically designed to support basic living arrangements and not much else.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

I think you will have to persevere with finding a training contract and qualifying in UK. There are generally not ways around the migration criteria and few options available for trainees in any profession.

The WHV might be good if you fancy a gap year or two and by the time you are back perhaps things will have picked up in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Hi guys,

Friend of mine who came over on a de facto visa and then his relationship broke down managed to get an occupational trainee visa as a trainee solicitor
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/sponsored/otv/-

He was working for a firm as a paralegal and completed his studies while working for them. It was very hard work but he did it and was admitted in Qld in the two years. He had an English Law Degree.

Might be worth looking at. My firm is always looking for good paralegals and we have lots of English people working for us
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:36 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you will have to persevere with finding a training contract and qualifying in UK. There are generally not ways around the migration criteria and few options available for trainees in any profession.

The WHV might be good if you fancy a gap year or two and by the time you are back perhaps things will have picked up in the UK.
Respectfully disagree. A fully qualified lawyer would have to requalify again, by taking gap courses and passing exams again. UK/US legal system being relatively close means lesser gap to cover, but my point is that home country qualification in this area means practically zilch, most you can get out of it is educational credit toward Aussie law degree. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts here, worse than medical profession in this regard.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Respectfully disagree. A fully qualified lawyer would have to requalify again, by taking gap courses and passing exams again. UK/US legal system being relatively close means lesser gap to cover, but my point is that home country qualification in this area means practically zilch, most you can get out of it is educational credit toward Aussie law degree. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts here, worse than medical profession in this regard.
To be honest NJ my point was not really about how to qualify as a lawyer, more about how the Austrlaian visa system is not really geared up towards providing visas for trainees.

I have never heard of anyone getting the occupational trainee visa before Bonnie mentioned it on this thread.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

To be honest NJ my point was not really about how to qualify as a lawyer, more about how the Austrlaian visa system is not really geared up towards providing visas for trainees.

I have never heard of anyone getting the occupational trainee visa before Bonnie mentioned it on this thread.
I think that's right - very few people have heard of it. Obviously you still need to get a sponsor though.

I think the best way to achieve that would be to come over on a WHV (if you qualify) and then look for a job as a paralegal in a regional practice. I think that a lot of regional firms struggle to get good staff as a lot of people want the bright lights (and salaries of course) of a major city. That is certainly the case here in Toowoomba anyway.....

Once you have impressed as a paralegal, then approach them about a occupational trainee Visa. I believe that my friend is now tied in to work with his sponsoring firm for a few years but he seems happy
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
I think that's right - very few people have heard of it. Obviously you still need to get a sponsor though.
Oh I have definitely heard about this visa, just not come across anyone that managed to get it before now.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:30 am

Ah, I was looking at it from a whole different angle, how being equally qualified lawyer or a doctor you are in a disadvantage visa-wise, compared to lets say same-fully-qualified engineer or an IT something or other.

occupational trainee thing - it came up a few weeks ago I remember, in a context that noone heard of it being granted before, good thing we now have a working example
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Not quite true - lawyers from countries like UK, can requalify in Australia by doing bridging study and experience, not "starting from scratch" as you suggest.

However it's generally very tough to qualify for skilled migration from overseas as a lawyer, unless you're NZ qualified. Otherwise most of those overseas qualified lawyers admitted in Australia have been transferred by a large company or law firm to work on a temporary visa and then got their Australian admission while in the country. Or they migrated on a family basis, spouse etc, or are Australian citizens who've spent a long time overseas.

Again - it's a lot easier for NZ citizens who can move to Australia easily and get the necessary exams and experience in country (if they're not already NZ qualified) to get admitted to the profession and get permanent residence.