Visa options.. Please help!

Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa options.. Please help!

Originally Posted by nexsuperne
Get a tourist visa and then change it to a bridging visa when you get out there. 15-16 years to get a parent visa, but as long as you can support them, then its all good. I have to do this with my MIL and FIL. I was advised by my migration agent to do it this way, otherwise I would have to wait until their visas has been done before I got mine. In fairness, my in-laws are in their 70's, so could both be in a box in 16 years time.
Ypu can't just change to a bridging visa, you have to apply for another visa and then DIBP may grant you a bridging visa.

The friend cannot apply for last remaining relative (even assuming she qualifies for it in other ways) while the mother is on a bridgng visa. The mother will need her visa granted first. So even if the mother applied onshore and was granted a bridging visa that doesn't help the friend.

Isn't yours a general skills visa? Rather different scenario I'm fraid.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 14th 2013 at 11:05 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Get a tourist visa and then change it to a bridging visa when you get out there. 15-16 years to get a parent visa, but as long as you can support them, then its all good. I have to do this with my MIL and FIL. I was advised by my migration agent to do it this way, otherwise I would have to wait until their visas has been done before I got mine. In fairness, my in-laws are in their 70's, so could both be in a box in 16 years time.
So what visa are you applying for ?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Could she apply onshore for the last remaining relative ?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hairart
So what visa are you applying for ?
Previous posts say a 189 which is general skills migration.

Your friend really needs to look into this more herself. Most important question is - where do her husband's family live? Are they in the UK, Aus or elsewhere? If they are in the UK Remaining Relative may not be an option anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/115.aspx

No, she must be offshore when she applies and offshore when its granted.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have misunderstood something.

The parent has already applied for her visa onshore, so she is now in Australia, presumably on a bridging visa and is waiting out the 15 years.

OP's friends are looking into options. In my view, they don't have any though because they have said they do not have skills and they are too old to retrain at this point. They also would not qualify for the last remaining relative visa, because the mother is not PR yet and also because one half of the couple has a brother not in Australia.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There is an onshore version of the last remaining relative visa and they could apply for it, but there is no point because it would be quickly established that they do not meet the criteria.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There is an onshore version of the last remaining relative visa and they could apply for it, but there is no point because it would be quickly established that they do not meet the criteria.
Looks like she's running out of options
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looks like she's running out of options
Unfortunately there is not a visa option for everyone that wants one and in this case, no I don't think that your friend has any. Other than visits of course
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's a pity the UK wasn't more like Australia !!!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a pity the UK wasn't more like Australia !!!
Not sure what that means. It is actually quite hard for anyone outside EU zone to get to UK. Even the partner of a British citizen will have a much harder time getting to UK than a partner of an Australian trying to move to Australia.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mmmm but there are so many in the UK that can't even speak English
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm but there are so many in the UK that can't even speak English
Much the same as here then
Old Nov 15th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Much the same as here then
That one made me think. I can honestly say that I've never met anybody here in Australia who couldn't speak English, not a one. Plenty who may prefer to speak in Serbian/Croat/Macedonian etc, but they can all speak English when its called for.

When I lived in Manchester there was a sizeable percentage of the Chinese and Bangladesh communities who couldn't speak any English at all.

I'm obviously comparing apples with oranges as Manchester and Wollongong are not really comparable cities in terms of population makeup.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:06 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by TheCreature
That one made me think. I can honestly say that I've never met anybody here in Australia who couldn't speak English, not a one. Plenty who may prefer to speak in Serbian/Croat/Macedonian etc, but they can all speak English when its called for.

When I lived in Manchester there was a sizeable percentage of the Chinese and Bangladesh communities who couldn't speak any English at all.

I'm obviously comparing apples with oranges as Manchester and Wollongong are not really comparable cities in terms of population makeup.
Try some of the Brisbane cab drivers. One had to get me to sit in the front and wave my hands for right or left as he didn't know the words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.