Visa for my mum aged 52yrs

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

morgan6220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Visa for my mum aged 52yrs

Hi all

Could someone please advise me on visas for my mum. I am 26 years old and considering going to perth to work under a two year sponsership as I am a qualified nurse from the UK.

I was hoping my mum could come out with me, she is 52 years old and a widow she has no living family in the UK. What are the options for her regarding visas please help???????? she is not financially dependent on me.

Advise appreciated.[/B]
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for my mum aged 52yrs

I assume by what you say the visa you are going on is the 457 employer sponsored visa. if so this is a temp visa so your mum cannot apply to join you on a parent visa.
Unless she has a skill that employers also need and get herself sponsored that way, then her only option would be a long stay visitors visa. These can be obtained for visits of 6-12 months, but she cannot work and cannot "live" in Oz. She must intend to return to the UK and show ties there. In between such visas she will need to spend at least 3 months in the UK.

If you stay and get PR then after you are settled (normally by being in Oz 2 years) and she passes the balance of family test then she could consider the parent visas available.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:13 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Have a look at a Long Stay Visitor Visa. It doesn't allow for residency, but you can extend a visit past the normal 3 months and up to 12 months.

My MIL had one in 2007 / 8.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

My mum had a 12 month visitor visa.......she left after 11 months, returned before the 12 months was up and was able to stay for another year. Soon effect getting nearly 2 years from a one year visa. Not exactly "allowed" but it worked for us and if you are only here for 2 years anyway........
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your help, I should of mentioned providing I enjoyed Perth I would hope to stay long term after my 2 year sponsership.

Would you therefore recommend I not take the 2 year sponsership and apply from the uk for permanent residency with my Mum??? based on points system I have heard this is a very long process however would we then both be guaranteed permanent residency? if successful what are the chances of this????
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morgan6220
Hi everyone

Many thanks for all your help, I should of mentioned providing I enjoyed Perth I would hope to stay long term after my 2 year sponsership.

Would you therefore recommend I not take the 2 year sponsership and apply from the uk for permanent residency with my Mum??? based on points system I have heard this is a very long process however would we then both be guaranteed permanent residency? if successful what are the chances of this????
No guarantees anywhere. Even if you were granted PR, you would have to wait two years before you could sponsor her on a parent visa. The only way you could get PR for her is if you could prove she was dependent on you totally and from the little you've said, that doesn't seem viable.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your response, would my mum not be eligible for PR? do you know what the restrictions are to apply for PR?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your response, would my mum not be eligible for PR? do you know what the restrictions are to apply for PR?
I have no idea what her skills/experience are. Check out the DIAC website and have her go through the Wizard down on the left hand side. That will tell you if she's eligible.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No guarantees anywhere. Even if you were granted PR, you would have to wait two years before you could sponsor her on a parent visa. The only way you could get PR for her is if you could prove she was dependent on you totally and from the little you've said, that doesn't seem viable.
If she's from the UK you'd almost certainly never be able to prove dependency - under retirement age she can work, and over retirement age she is eligible for the State Pension.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got any new information, I think other people have already provided all the facts, but will sum up.

So firstly one does not apply for "PR" as a status, the Australian system is built entirely around visas and everyone has to qualify and apply for a visa. To be a PR, your mum would need to qualify for one of the permanent visas in the first place.

Your mum cannot be on any visa application that you make, she needs to apply for her own visa.

If you want her to move at the same time as you, then at 52 she is too old for skilled migration (even if she is skilled) so she would need employer sponsorship, which also becomes harder after age 50.

The other option, as somebody mentioned is that she comes on long term tourist visas, but obviously this is very restrictive and also risky, tourist visas are intended for tourists, not for people wanting to move to Australia.

If you are comfortable with the delay (and to be honest, I think there is a big chance you have no option), then you would get a PR visa, move to Australia and live there for a period of ~ 2 years and then you could sponsor your mother for the parent visa. The parent visa would take another year or two and is very expensive, I can't remember how much maybe $40k.