British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa Medical Check - what’s included? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-medical-check-what%E2%80%99s-included-944126/)

ashley207 May 26th 2022 6:10 am

Visa Medical Check - what’s included?

Morning,

Our agent contacted us to suggest completing our medicals and police checks as it seems that the applicants with those completed are getting checked over first. I’ve just booked my husband, myself and the kids in for our medicals for just over a weeks time. I’ve tried to look for information on what to expect, but everything I’ve found has been very vague. Can anyone give me a bit more of an insight so that I can help prepare them and know myself what to expect?

I also suffer from asthma and hayfever, and my daughter has an under-active thyroid. Do you know what further tests they will carry out if any for these?

Thanks,

Ashley

old.sparkles May 26th 2022 8:09 am

Re: Visa Medical Check - what’s included?

Originally Posted by ashley207 (Post 13117715)
Morning,

Our agent contacted us to suggest completing our medicals and police checks as it seems that the applicants with those completed are getting checked over first. I’ve just booked my husband, myself and the kids in for our medicals for just over a weeks time. I’ve tried to look for information on what to expect, but everything I’ve found has been very vague. Can anyone give me a bit more of an insight so that I can help prepare them and know myself what to expect?

I also suffer from asthma and hayfever, and my daughter has an under-active thyroid. Do you know what further tests they will carry out if any for these?

Thanks,

Ashley

Not sure if this is any help - https://www.bridge-clinic.com/austra...sa-applicants/

We had our medicals here. Both asthmatic but no issues - don't recall any additional testing. Young Spark is on the spectrum and we had to get a private report but other than that, all good.

ETA - afternoon / evening :) Australia is anything from 7 to 9 hours ahead of the UK at this time of year :)

goldchoccycoin May 28th 2022 3:40 am

Hi - I had a medical some time ago so not sure how useful this is;

- Arrived - sent to collect urine sample in container.
-Going through previous medical issues/injuries etc as I had listed on form 26. Just previous operations or significant illness/injury. I'm also asthmatic and mentioned it but no issues.
-Asked to do some movements to determine any limitations - touching toes, back and neck twisting side to side (i.e. look left, look right etc.), pulling against the Doctors hands, raising my arms in front, to the side and over my head.
-lying on the examination bed, having stomach and lower abdomen prodded (still fully clothed, just pulled up t-shirt)
-had heart and lungs listened to with stethoscope while breathing in-and-out.

And that was it! - I was not even asked about breast check or pap smear. I did not have to strip off at all (even though I'd worn my best undies!!). It was quick and entirely painless.

From other posters commenting over the years, the kids will be in with you for their examinations and by all accounts it's even less 'invasive' (I didn't find it invasive at all but apparently kids is quite cursory). Chest X-Ray was vaguely uncomfortable as you get squished between the x-ray plate and the machine (standing up) but totally fine.

​​​​​​​Good luck.

ashley207 May 30th 2022 6:09 am

Thank you to you both! That’s really helpful.

Last thing for us to do and then it’s just a waiting game 😁

Ashley