Wikiposts

Visa help - Student can't find help

Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:05 am
markireland

Default Visa help - Student can't find help

Hey all,

Hope someone can help us. My partner and myself are looking to move to Perth in WA. Neither of us have trades/skills or listed skills - I work as a television production manager and my partner works in a call centre.

We have found a 2 year diploma course in WA on hairdressing and we would hope my partner could use this as a path to PR - Jason's 24 and I'm 26.

Is it possible for Jason to apply (we know he can work 20 hours a week) with me listed as his same sex partner?

Would I be allowed work full time while he studies full time?

Upon his completion of the course would he be able to apply for PR with me ?

Are we really just dreaming, or is there another way to get out to OZ.

Any help or advice or personal stories more than welcome.

Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice
Default Re: Visa help - Student can't find help

Your planning on what we are doing at the moment.

We are doing horticulture in WA for 2yrs diploma and then willl apply for Extension visa or PR if thats open to us, if we have the required 900hrs experiance.

The both of you can only work 20hrs a week each max.

After the pathway D shut down this is the only option open to us now.

Also you need to prove you have been in a relationship for 12 months, if your married then they will want document otherwise they will want other proof of length of your relationship.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

just seen the same sex relationship bit and had a look at the student visa and its says this.

Your spouse is the person you are married to, or in a de facto relationship with. A de facto relationship applies if you have been living with a person of the opposite sex for at least 12 months, and you have a genuine and exclusive relationship with them.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...ly/index.htm#a

No idea what happens in your circumstances, I would ask an agent who deals with this kind of area.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:24 pm
markireland

Originally Posted by lee28
just seen the same sex relationship bit and had a look at the student visa and its says this.

Your spouse is the person you are married to, or in a de facto relationship with. A de facto relationship applies if you have been living with a person of the opposite sex for at least 12 months, and you have a genuine and exclusive relationship with them.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/stud...ly/index.htm#a

No idea what happens in your circumstances, I would ask an agent who deals with this kind of area.
Hey lee,

Thanks for the post - I have looked up the link you sent me - don't really think it's too hopeful. It would appear we both might have to study.

How did you find a course, did you go through TAFE or another college?

Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

southern-stars will become famous soon enough

Hello
we recently had our student visa granted with the same P.R in mind. I would say that I suspect from the many threads on here and reading thru the DIMA info that getting P.R with Hairdressing would be a lot harder in 2 years due to the large amount of people using this route. With regard same sex partner I can not see how they could possibly discriminate. I would contact a migration agent like George Lombard (he is on the members list at bottom of page) good luck its worth the stress!! Lee
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I had noticed that for this visa it does not mention same sex relationships, but other visa classes it does. I would contact a migration agent if I were you.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markireland
Hey lee,

Thanks for the post - I have looked up the link you sent me - don't really think it's too hopeful. It would appear we both might have to study.

How did you find a course, did you go through TAFE or another college?
I basically went through the course lists

http://www.eti.wa.edu.au/component/o...ook/Itemid,43/

and choose a course that related to a career on the SOL list and one I fancied doing as a change in my career and done it that way.

Dont think there will be many people doing the horticulture course as a way for PR and most are going for Bricklaying or hairdressing on the east coast.

Also my family are in Perth so we wont be isolated.

Also this is not a guaranteed route for PR so the risk is fairly high but we are willing to take that chance.

Also stefan from study options got us our placement on the course and it was free.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:50 am
markireland

and choose a course that related to a career on the SOL list and one I fancied doing as a change in my career and done it that way.

Dont think there will be many people doing the horticulture course as a way for PR and most are going for Bricklaying or hairdressing on the east coast.

Also this is not a guaranteed route for PR so the risk is fairly high but we are willing to take that chance.

Also stefan from study options got us our placement on the course and it was free.
Hey guys - thank you all for your advice - I have contacted study options in the uk - they are extremely helpful!!! Will keep you updated on what we decide to do - but we're defo moving to perth injuly 08 -

Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

yeh study options are great and nice and fast!

Keep us updated!

Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I would seriously consider consulting a professional education agent and migration agent. The whole "Study and Stay" strategy needs to be planned carefully or you could spend an awful lot of money and find yourself with no options at the end of it.

A good education agent will not charge you professional fees (they make their money from college commissions) so you won't be out of pocket and you'll be sure that you're on the correct course.

Good luck!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AHamm
I would seriously consider consulting a professional education agent and migration agent. The whole "Study and Stay" strategy needs to be planned carefully or you could spend an awful lot of money and find yourself with no options at the end of it.

A good education agent will not charge you professional fees (they make their money from college commissions) so you won't be out of pocket and you'll be sure that you're on the correct course.

Good luck!
Yeh Agreed, just to make sure.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the education agent industry well but in other areas there have been issues with commission-remunerated advice being somewhat less than objective.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I've come across that too, JAJ, but there really are good ones around, who act in the best interests of their clients, not their pockets! Best thing, as with so many industries, is to go off recommendations.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I've come across that too, JAJ, but there really are good ones around, who act in the best interests of their clients, not their pockets! Best thing, as with so many industries, is to go off recommendations.
Yep, and hopefully with a big influx of people on this site using this route in there will be more people being able to give hopefully good recomendations soon. I have certainly been given terrible advice by one education agent who I won't name, but if anyone wants to PM me for the details in future I will be happy to pass them on. I know they have also given other people duff advice as well.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

hi lee

i am also trying to get to perth as have family there as well.
i have no skills so was also thinking of going studying route.
did you have to use an education agent? if so who?
hope you dont mind this would be useful
thanks