British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-help-please-927366/)

LJ27 Aug 21st 2019 9:59 am

Visa help please

Hi there, myelf, my husband and two daughters are looking to make the move to Oz next year. I was born there and have dual nationality. I'm aware that my daughter's can obtain citizenship through decent which just leaves my husband's visa to think about. I've read up on the partner visa but believe it to be quite costly. As he is a metal machinist to trade, he is on the skills shortage list. We wondered if he could go over initially on the TSS visa then apply for PR after the four years? Does anyone have any advice if this is the easiest most cost effective way of getting there? Any help is much appreciated xx

BritInParis Aug 21st 2019 11:51 am

Re: Visa help please

The short answer, for me at least, is to buy once, cry once. Yes, the partner visa is expensive, but the short term pain to long term gain ratio means it’s worth it. Your husband will be given PR from the get-go so you avoid all the anxiety about having his status tied to his employment or a particular employer and after four years he’ll be a citizen himself. If you wish to move next year then your husband should apply as soon as possible.

Pollyana Aug 22nd 2019 1:24 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12725659)
The short answer, for me at least, is to buy once, cry once. Yes, the partner visa is expensive, but the short term pain to long term gain ratio means it’s worth it. Your husband will be given PR from the get-go so you avoid all the anxiety about having his status tied to his employment or a particular employer and after four years he’ll be a citizen himself. If you wish to move next year then your husband should apply as soon as possible.

Definitely agree.
Financially, although the spouse visa is expensive, its a one off and will leave him with PR.
If he goes on the 482 he will have the uncertainty of being on a temp visa, and he will have to hope that he can apply for PR a few years down the line. Who know what the cost will be then? Or whether his skill will even be on the list still. He would need to factor in the skills assessment and visa cost,who knows what they could be by then.
Spouse Visa would make the most sense by far.

old.sparkles Aug 22nd 2019 1:56 am

Moved to Immigration and Visa section as not everyone visits the general section

Paul Hand Aug 22nd 2019 7:30 am

I agree with the above posts too. One shot certainty is important, but also if you factor in all the costs of TSS to permanent visa over the time it’s going to take, you aren’t going to be saving material (if any) money, particularly given visa cost inflation!

LJ27 Aug 22nd 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12725659)

Thank you,

I think you're right. It does make more sense. We're just being a bit impatient and looking for the quickest and cheapest way to go. We're trying hard to save for the move but are relying on the sale of our house to give us some money to go over with. The cost of the partner visa would be affordable if our house was sold first but we'd have nowhere to stay while the visa was being processed in the meantime. I'm hoping it won't take too long to process since we've been married 3 years and have two children. Might just have to do a bit more saving and accept well have to wait longer for our move.
Thanks for the advice ☺️

BritInParis Aug 22nd 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by LJ27 (Post 12726067)
Thank you,

I think you're right. It does make more sense. We're just being a bit impatient and looking for the quickest and cheapest way to go. We're trying hard to save for the move but are relying on the sale of our house to give us some money to go over with. The cost of the partner visa would be affordable if our house was sold first but we'd have nowhere to stay while the visa was being processed in the meantime. I'm hoping it won't take too long to process since we've been married 3 years and have two children. Might just have to do a bit more saving and accept well have to wait longer for our move.
Thanks for the advice ☺️

The strength of your relationship rarely has any influence on the processing time of your application. There’s an annual cap so depending on the limit and number of applicants in any given year you are effectively joining the back of a queue, the length of which is determined by those two factors. You could be waiting two weeks or two years for a decision so the earlier the application the better.

TeeTMI Aug 22nd 2019 10:56 pm

You might also consider if your husband might be eligible for one of the other Skilled visa options. The occupation Metal Machinist is currently an option for the 189 and 190 visas.

LJ27 Aug 27th 2019 7:58 pm

Thank you all for your advice. We've started preparing. My Australian passport needs renewed and I need to get the children their citizenship and passports first then onto the partner visa. I've downloaded and printed a copy of the visa to slowly fill out in the meantime and gather documents needed to send along with. X

nahini26 Sep 3rd 2019 11:13 am

Hi LJ27,

Easiest way to apply for a student or bridging Visa to Aus.

It is required to meet minimum criteria requirements. And in terms of Cost its around the 5k-10K ball park.

Hope that helps

Pollyana Sep 3rd 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by nahini26 (Post 12730873)
Hi LJ27,

Easiest way to apply for a student or bridging Visa to Aus.

It is required to meet minimum criteria requirements. And in terms of Cost its around the 5k-10K ball park.

Hope that helps

That reply is totally gibberish I'm afraid.
You cannot apply for a bridging visa to get to Australia. That is NOT how bridging visas work at all.
And the cost of what exactly is 5k-10K?

If you are going to give advice on here please make sure it is clear and correct.