British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa Help - how can we get to Australia? Business Analyst (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-help-how-can-we-get-australia-business-analyst-937721/)

AmyL Mar 20th 2021 9:25 pm

Visa Help - how can we get to Australia? Business Analyst

Hi everyone,

We're wanting to apply to move with permanent residency on my husband's skills. However, he's a Business Analyst (261111) and seemingly not desirable. We're wanting to move to Queensland and they're not sponsoring Business Analysts anymore, so our only option is 189, I think? Unfortunately I don't have have any skills so we're stuck on 85 points. We're wanting to buy as soon as possible and have a sizeable deposit, but it is my understanding that we can't do so on a temporary visa without paying stupid amounts of tax, plus we have 2 children and would have to pay school fees on a temporary visa.

My husband is self-employed, has worked with the same company for almost 10 years, and will continue to do so when we're in Australia.

Is it likely that a temporary visa will be our only option? Will we be stuck with renting until we can get PR? Do we have to wait 3 full years to apply for PR if we go with temporary visas?

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated, thank you!

old.sparkles Mar 20th 2021 11:07 pm

Re: Visa Help - how can we get to Australia? Business Analyst

Originally Posted by AmyL (Post 12985841)
Hi everyone,

We're wanting to apply to move with permanent residency on my husband's skills. However, he's a Business Analyst (261111) and seemingly not desirable. We're wanting to move to Queensland and they're not sponsoring Business Analysts anymore, so our only option is 189, I think? Unfortunately I don't have have any skills so we're stuck on 85 points. We're wanting to buy as soon as possible and have a sizeable deposit, but it is my understanding that we can't do so on a temporary visa without paying stupid amounts of tax, plus we have 2 children and would have to pay school fees on a temporary visa.

My husband is self-employed, has worked with the same company for almost 10 years, and will continue to do so when we're in Australia.

Is it likely that a temporary visa will be our only option? Will we be stuck with renting until we can get PR? Do we have to wait 3 full years to apply for PR if we go with temporary visas?

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated, thank you!

The 189 is a permanent visa. 261111 is the code for ICT business analyst, and he will need to have his skills assessed by ACS - https://www.acs.org.au/

SanDiegogirl Mar 20th 2021 11:25 pm

If he is going to work for same company in Australia isn't there an intra company transfer like other countries have?

okonumiyaki Mar 21st 2021 1:32 pm

If the company he works for has an Australian office that he is going to be working for, then they can sponsor him for a 186 or 187 visa, which are permanent.

quoll Mar 22nd 2021 5:59 am

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki (Post 12986016)
If the company he works for has an Australian office that he is going to be working for, then they can sponsor him for a 186 or 187 visa, which are permanent.

Wouldnt they need to prove that they cant find an Australian to do the job first?

davey6693 Mar 22nd 2021 6:05 am

Would agree a 186 would likely be the fastest way if they have Australian offices. It's a permanent visa allowing you to live and work where you want. You do still need the skills assessment done for it same as old.sparkles indicated for the 189.
If not, 85 points isn't the worst score I've seen for a 189. Big problem is that the number of people they're inviting is low at the moment, and they can (and do) change their strategies often.

okonumiyaki Mar 22nd 2021 6:14 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12986265)
Wouldnt they need to prove that they cant find an Australian to do the job first?

Yes, but if they want him badly enough, they can write the job description to make it happen...

spouse of scouse Mar 22nd 2021 6:28 am

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki (Post 12986268)
Yes, but if they want him badly enough, they can write the job description to make it happen...

Do you mean write the job description so it appears that no Australian could do the job, even if that's not true? That's advocating fraud and is not something that's permitted on this site.

okonumiyaki Mar 22nd 2021 6:35 am

Nit really. Say that he is a BA with 8+ years experience in a specific field. There are likely few or no Aussies who would apply for the role if the JD says that. But if the firm is willing to retrain an experienced BA into the specific field, or accept a BA from that field with very little experience and develop them as a BA, then much more likely to get local applicants. So it depends if the firm really wants/ needs the experience of Mr AmyL, or is happy to take a bit of a hit while they train up someone new. I don't see that as fraud. Obviously if the firm is doing something that is quite common (banking say) then there is more likely to be a pool of local BA with that experience, so even the 8+ years with banking experience would get local applicants

spouse of scouse Mar 22nd 2021 6:48 am

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki (Post 12986275)
Nit really. Say that he is a BA with 8+ years experience in a specific field. There are likely few or no Aussies who would apply for the role if the JD says that. But if the firm is willing to retrain an experienced BA into the specific field, or accept a BA from that field with very little experience and develop them as a BA, then much more likely to get local applicants. So it depends if the firm really wants/ needs the experience of Mr AmyL, or is happy to take a bit of a hit while they train up someone new. I don't see that as fraud. Obviously if the firm is doing something that is quite common (banking say) then there is more likely to be a pool of local BA with that experience, so even the 8+ years with banking experience would get local applicants

I don't think any legitimate job description would ask for exactly 8 years experience. Maybe specify at least 3 years experience, or at least 5 years experience etc, but not exactly 8 years.

It's not up to me, you or any company to guess how many Australians would have the required experience in the relevant field, or how many would apply. The job has to be advertised in accordance with the rules, including labour market testing.

AmyL Mar 22nd 2021 1:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately there isn't an Australian office or an Australian leg of the company. My husband would need to register as self employed I imagine once we move and work as a contractor for the UK company.

I do think it'll need to be 189 on 85 points, or 190 if they ever start sponsoring people again. I just really hope they don't remove Business Analyst from the skills list!

TeeTMI Mar 23rd 2021 10:47 pm

Due to COVID-19 at the current time the States/Territories have a reduced quota of places and are generally speaking prioritising COVID-19 related occupations and people currently living in their state.
I would recommend watch-this-space to see how things open up as we move froward - there are a considerable number of people currently waiting for this.
Whilst it involves some risk depending upon your circumstances/aims some people are preparing documents towards being ready to apply once things start to open - others more risk averse are waiting to see if there are any changes in occupation / policy that might negatively impact them. Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict the future moving forward at this time.