British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-help-930673/)

alexhill123 Jan 28th 2020 8:02 am

Visa Help

Hello ,

So a while ago i wrote a post saying that i was trying to get a visa to go work abroad in Australia. Applying for jobs without any visa seems to be pointless - the chances of sponsorship see to be at like 1% of jobs which is useless really. I waited for the new skilled visa to be released and it didn't match my job so that was another way lost. I'm stuck now really as what to do? Jobs wont accept anyone without a Visa and no skilled work is available atm!!!

Would it be beneficial to get a working holiday Visa for a year and go over to Australia? Could I apply for all jobs over there? Could I if possible get a job over there doing what I want to do then get a sponsorship or a further visa??

Pollyana Jan 28th 2020 8:57 am

Re: Visa Help

Originally Posted by alexhill123 (Post 12797129)
Hello ,

So a while ago i wrote a post saying that i was trying to get a visa to go work abroad in Australia. Applying for jobs without any visa seems to be pointless - the chances of sponsorship see to be at like 1% of jobs which is useless really. I waited for the new skilled visa to be released and it didn't match my job so that was another way lost. I'm stuck now really as what to do? Jobs wont accept anyone without a Visa and no skilled work is available atm!!!

Would it be beneficial to get a working holiday Visa for a year and go over to Australia? Could I apply for all jobs over there? Could I if possible get a job over there doing what I want to do then get a sponsorship or a further visa??

If you meet all the requirements to get a WHV then you can certainly come to Australia and apply for jobs once here. However in order to get sponsorship, and a visa to work here for longer, the skill still needs to be on the lists, same as if you were offshore. So if your skill does not qualify you for a visa whilst offshore, coming heer won't change things.

verystormy Jan 29th 2020 4:36 am

First,sponsored visas require you to be appropriately qualified AND experienced. This means showing three years experience in most cases.

Second, yes, you can get a working holiday visa. But it is what it says on the tin. A holiday. It is not impossible, but unlikely that you would get work in a proffession as a new grad. Employers are aware you are limited to working for them for six months and there are plenty of Australian new grads fighting for their first jobs.

SanDiegogirl Jan 29th 2020 4:53 am

Originally Posted by alexhill123 (Post 12797129)
Hello ,

What is your profession/job skill ? In an earlier post you said your profession was 'water'. What does that mean? What type of jobs have you been applying for?

alexhill123 Jan 29th 2020 7:38 am

Hi Thanks for all the feedback

Verystormy/SanDiegoGirl - I have been currently working for a water company back in my native country for over 7 years they put me through uni while i also work so i already have experience on my side ( 7 + years to be precise). I have experience in telemetry, water treatment, waste water treatment, electrical engineering and computer networking and have 3 diplomas also and numerous high school qualifications.

I have been applying for anything water related which i feel i suit and would match with the qualifications and experience i have. I'm not applying for stuff just for the sake of it.

Thanks

Alex

Pollyana Jan 30th 2020 4:46 am

Originally Posted by alexhill123 (Post 12797761)
Hi Thanks for all the feedback

Verystormy/SanDiegoGirl - I have been currently working for a water company back in my native country for over 7 years they put me through uni while i also work so i already have experience on my side ( 7 + years to be precise). I have experience in telemetry, water treatment, waste water treatment, electrical engineering and computer networking and have 3 diplomas also and numerous high school qualifications.

I have been applying for anything water related which i feel i suit and would match with the qualifications and experience i have. I'm not applying for stuff just for the sake of it.

Thanks

Alex

Is your skill actually on a list as being in demand?

alexhill123 Jan 30th 2020 12:37 pm

No! that appears to be the issue if my skill isn't on demand and applying for jobs is looking really slim (sponsorship) then is my best bet a working holiday visa (WHM) go over and see if i can get a role over there ? as i said i have the experience and qualifications just need the opportunity!!!!

Pollyana Jan 30th 2020 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by alexhill123 (Post 12798514)
No! that appears to be the issue if my skill isn't on demand and applying for jobs is looking really slim (sponsorship) then is my best bet a working holiday visa (WHM) go over and see if i can get a role over there ? as i said i have the experience and qualifications just need the opportunity!!!!

To get sponsorship though your skill still needs to be on the relevant list. If it isn't then the best you can do is a WHV , which limits the time you can spend wqith any one employer.