Visa granted but need passport advise

Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Default Visa granted but need passport advise

Hi everyone

Finally the wait is over and the visa has been granted!!

I recently got married and have my new passport which I know has to be certified and has to be sent to aus embassy London so electronic visa can be switched over....but I went on there website and the list of people who can certify documents is very small and they charge a small fortune!!! Anyways..... I know this has to be done so i'm prepared to pay the stupid amount for them to certify it....

But... my partners passport runs out early next year a few months after going to aus to get them stamped (we're only going on a holiday) so he needs to apply for a new passport before we fly out. So my question is.... has anyone been in this sitaution and know if his new passport also needs to be certified and sent to the embassy or can he just rock up to the airport with both new and old passport, visa grant letter etc and be ok...

I really don't want to be paying for another certified document if we don't need too... passports cost enough on there own without the added cost of paying a solicitor £80+ just to certify it... so if any body who has experienced this please comment below. Much appreciated! x
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa granted but need passport advise

You can apply for a new passport up to nine months before the old one expires so you could get his new one, let DIAC know, they will re issue the visa grant under the new passport number and then send them off to AHC. Otherwise get the visas in the current passports and then travel with both old and new - no problem whatsoever. Once here, you can take the passports into a DIAC office and get a new stamp in the new passport free of charge, whilst you wait.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can apply for a new passport up to nine months before the old one expires so you could get his new one, let DIAC know, they will re issue the visa grant under the new passport number and then send them off to AHC. Otherwise get the visas in the current passports and then travel with both old and new - no problem whatsoever. Once here, you can take the passports into a DIAC office and get a new stamp in the new passport free of charge, whilst you wait.
Hi Moneypenny - thanks for the quick response...

What is AHC? and with the second option of taking passports to DIAC office whilst in Aus can the same be done for my passport as my surname has changed? x
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming you're in the UK - AHC is Australian High Commission in London, that's where you send the passports for sticker inclusion. I meant to add that you'd have to wait to get the initial sticker until you'd got your husbands new passport as London don't 'restick'.

Yes, if you wait until you get over here you could do yours as well - you'd have to take your birth and marriage certificate as well.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you mean by certifying your passport. You just send it to Australia house, they put the stamp in and send it back to you.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

I'm assuming you're in the UK - AHC is Australian High Commission in London, that's where you send the passports for sticker inclusion. I meant to add that you'd have to wait to get the initial sticker until you'd got your husbands new passport as London don't 'restick'.

Yes, if you wait until you get over here you could do yours as well - you'd have to take your birth and marriage certificate as well.

Yup i'm in the UK... arr right thanks for that was wondering what it stood for :-p

Hmmm I wonder if it be easier to send both mine and husbands new passport off to AHC then instead of informing DIAC in Aus about his passport. That way the electronic visa can be switched at the same time???

From speaking to AHC a month or so ago they said I needed to send a certified copy of the new passport and also wedding certificate to them before going to Aus if not it could slows the process down at airport or could potentially stop you entering the country.....my only worry is I do somehting totally worng on one or both passports and get denied entry!? It's all sooo bloomin confusing.....
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't know what you mean by certifying your passport. You just send it to Australia house, they put the stamp in and send it back to you.
No - it's changed....

When my sister emigrated 5 or so years ago she had to send her passport off to be stamped..... and it got returned to her....

Now.... they have electronic visas which are attached to your passport so no need to send passport off as it's already in there....

This is why im confused over my partners passport and if i need to send a certified copy to them as well!?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

It's not changed totally. It's always (well since computers became normal) been held electronically but you used to 'have' to get the stamp now you don't 'have' to. However it's a very good idea to do so as some places, including Medicare don't seem to understand electronic visas and still expect to see a sticker in a passport

Ok, so don't worry about it for now. Travel with old passports until you get new ones, then carry both because the electronic visa will be under the old passport number and airline officials can get confused Then when here get the stickers put in, apart from being useful, they're nice to look at.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BonnieH
No - it's changed....

When my sister emigrated 5 or so years ago she had to send her passport off to be stamped..... and it got returned to her....

Now.... they have electronic visas which are attached to your passport so no need to send passport off as it's already in there....

This is why im confused over my partners passport and if i need to send a certified copy to them as well!?
Visas have been electronic for ages. You can still just post your passport off to get the stamp in and it is a good idea too.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

It's not changed totally. It's always (well since computers became normal) been held electronically but you used to 'have' to get the stamp now you don't 'have' to. However it's a very good idea to do so as some places, including Medicare don't seem to understand electronic visas and still expect to see a sticker in a passport

Ok, so don't worry about it for now. Travel with old passports until you get new ones, then carry both because the electronic visa will be under the old passport number and airline officials can get confused Then when here get the stickers put in, apart from being useful, they're nice to look at.
Medicare activated hubby's new medicare card without having a sticker here on the Gold Coast a year ago. They must be getting used to the new system.

Hopefully elsewhere too.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Medicare activated hubby's new medicare card without having a sticker here on the Gold Coast a year ago. They must be getting used to the new system.

Hopefully elsewhere too.
About time too.