Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Visa Evidencing and leaving Australia immediately

Visa Evidencing and leaving Australia immediately

Old Nov 25th 2013, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

sabinec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Evidencing and leaving Australia immediately

Hi,

I was recently given a 1 year RRV. As we still need to begin applying for my partner's visa (minimum 5 month processing time apparently) and we need to sell our business & home, i don't think we can fully migrate by November 2014.

My questions:
1. Can I/we enter Australia, once my partner gets his visa, evidence our visas, open bank accounts etc and leave immediately (2 weeks later)?
2. If we go in September/October next year (and our RRV & partner visa is valid until Nov 14, what do we need to arrange in Australia so we can return again after Nov 14?)

thanks for any help!

Sabine
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:08 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Evidencing and leaving Australia immediately

Originally Posted by sabinec View Post
Hi,

I was recently given a 1 year RRV. As we still need to begin applying for my partner's visa (minimum 5 month processing time apparently) and we need to sell our business & home, i don't think we can fully migrate by November 2014.

My questions:
1. Can I/we enter Australia, once my partner gets his visa, evidence our visas, open bank accounts etc and leave immediately (2 weeks later)?
2. If we go in September/October next year (and our RRV & partner visa is valid until Nov 14, what do we need to arrange in Australia so we can return again after Nov 14?)

thanks for any help!

Sabine
I think you need to look at selling up now so that you are ready to move before Nov 2014 as you may not be lucky enough to get a second RRV.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need another RRV if you want to enter Australia after your current RRV expires. Normally - depending on the reasons you got a one year one this time round - you might be pushing your luck looking for another discretionary RRV. However (and bear in mind I don't know much about partner visas), I think that your partner will be granted a visa with validity of a couple of years at least, five if you and he have been together long enough to get a permanent one straight away. The partner visa books says

"The partner category visa that you are granted will have a multiple re-entry facility, which means that you
can leave, and return to, Australia as many times as you wish within a specified period.

A temporary Partner visa (subclasses 309 and 820) allows you to travel until a decision is made on
your permanent Partner visa.

A permanent Partner visa (subclasses 100 and 801) allows you to travel for up to 5 years from date
of grant".

So your partner would seem to be OK and I think you would be likely to get another discretionary (one year) RRV based on your links to him (and presumably whatever your other links were that got you your current RRV).

But there is a risk attached to all this. As old.sparkles says, you would be much safer starting making preparations now with a view to going and staying before your current RRV expires.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

sabinec is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you both for replying - much appreciated.
Packing boxes as we speak ;-)