Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Which Visa to enter Australia - Visitor or Student? Please Help!

Wikiposts

Which Visa to enter Australia - Visitor or Student? Please Help!

Old Aug 11th 2002, 9:34 am
Karen

Default Which Visa to enter Australia - Visitor or Student? Please Help!

I am planning on doing a 1 1/2 year long diploma course in Australia next year which
will begin in September. My plan is to enter Australia in July and travel for 2 to 3
months before my course starts.

Can anyone please tell me whether I will be allowed to enter Australia on a student
visa if I will not be starting my studies until 2 to 3 months after I arrive or
whether I will have to enter on a tourist visa and then change to a student visa. I
don't know how this kind of thing works.

Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:37 am
Slipstream

Default Re: Which Visa to enter Australia - Visitor or Student? Please Help!

Karen this depends on where you come from visitor visas sometimes have "non
conversion stamps " attached meaning you cant upgrade or change from within the
country. Ask your school they will be expert in this matter!

"Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > I am planning on doing a 1 1/2 year long diploma course in Australia next year
    > which will begin in September. My plan is to enter Australia in July and travel
    > for 2 to 3 months before my course starts.
    > Can anyone please tell me whether I will be allowed to enter Australia on a student
    > visa if I will not be starting my studies until 2 to 3 months after I arrive or
    > whether I will have to enter on a tourist visa and then change to a student visa.
    > I don't know how this kind of thing works.
    > Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

rajarajaraja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Karen:
I am planning on doing a 1 1/2 year long diploma course in Australia next year which
will begin in September. My plan is to enter Australia in July and travel for 2 to 3
months before my course starts.

Can anyone please tell me whether I will be allowed to enter Australia on a student
visa if I will not be starting my studies until 2 to 3 months after I arrive or
whether I will have to enter on a tourist visa and then change to a student visa. I
don't know how this kind of thing works.

Thanks for your help.
Yes you can enter Australia on a student visa eventhough the school starts 2/3 months later..... you can mention in the application/ immi officer that you want to get settled before you can start your studies like apartment rentals.... you will be fine
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:31 pm
Karen

I am from the UK so hopefully there won't be a "non conversion stamp" attachment when
I apply for my visa, although I will speak to the application officer and see if I
can get the visa to start 3 months earlier as rajarajaraja said.

Thanks for your replies.

rajarajaraja <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Karen:
    > > I am planning on doing a 1 1/2 year long diploma course in Australia next year
    > > which will begin in September. My plan is to enter Australia in July and travel
    > > for 2 to 3 months before my course starts.
    > >
    > > Can anyone please tell me whether I will be allowed to enter Australia on a
    > > student visa if I will not be starting my studies until 2 to 3 months after I
    > > arrive or whether I will have to enter on a tourist visa and then change to a
    > > student visa. I don't know how this kind of thing works.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > Yes you can enter Australia on a student visa eventhough the school starts 2/3
    > months later..... you can mention in the application/ immi officer that you want
    > to get settled before you can start your studies like apartment rentals.... you
    > will be fine