Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

visa application fees and cost of living in Perth.

visa application fees and cost of living in Perth.

Old Jan 10th 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

john82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa application fees and cost of living in Perth.

Thank you all for your thoughts, I will be on to the several agents for quotes.

My wife is a qualified massage therapist so I hope that will be enough.

thanks again
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

PLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nice

Hi John, you can get your self assessed as a plasterer (even without qualifications) and apply so bear it in mind.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks mate, yeah I have found this out recently and I have decided to go down this route, and hopefully gain sponsorship. are you out in Aus now, how are you getting on? Is the work good, I know its harder isnt it. Whats the salary like for plasterers, you can read so many different things when researching it but the general feeling is about $30 per hour is that bout right?
Sorry for all the questions, your the first plasterer I have spoken to thats aiming for WA.

Regards John
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

PLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nice

Hi, I am still in the Uk - have a look at my signature for progress so far. I am not up to date on wages sorry but I doubt that they work harder than us!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

So do you have any work lined up, or any idea of when you and your family are off, is it to Perth?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

6991samantha is an unknown quantity at this point

we are thinking of getting an agent anyone recommend a good one.... I have an NCFE locksmith qualification and am registered with the National Locksmiths association but have only just started out, I am ex RAF and am an airport firefighter who as done his locksmith qualification. im 29 years old 30 in june and need to get this underway to gain the extra 5 points before I turn 30 in june, my partner cant be the main visa applicant as she has been a flight attendant for 15 years so no trade on sol, anyone know what I need to do if I have no experience yet, i.e will the TRA assessment suffice or will I need to get at least 12 months experience any info would be great... I think an agent is the best way to go they seem to know the ins and outs.. thanks guys. we are also pretty much prepared to go anywhere in Australia, we have friends from one side to the other...
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi 6991samatha,

I am in a similar position, being a time served plasterer with no such qualifications. I have just instructed the visa-unit to help us, the guy is called John Mumford and they specialize in assisting applicants who dont meet the age, experience and qualification criteria. They also specialize in employment sponsorship if thats a route your thinking of.

Hope this helps
regards
John
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi John, I am in a position similar to a lot of people - have lodged an application, been granted state sponsorship but not on the critical skills list (csl). The way I see it is that I could be waiting till the end of 2012, however might get some good news when the states release their state migration plans and priorities change when the csl is removed - only other option is to find an employer willing to sponsor me which I may go to Oz to find should the next set of changes go my way.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

6991samantha is an unknown quantity at this point

hi John thanks for that info, would you mid if I took the details of the agent, I may call them up next week see what they say, thanks alot...
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Bindo is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also do some research on the cost of living in Perth and cost of rentals. We had a look at some rental agencies asking 350 - 450 Oz dollars per week which we think is quite steep but seems to be average. Obviously the further out from the city you live the cheaper it will be but it depends where the work is and how far you want to travel.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PLASTERERFROMWALES
Hi, I am still in the Uk - have a look at my signature for progress so far. I am not up to date on wages sorry but I doubt that they work harder than us!

Average working week is 40 hours for a tradie - well with the company my husband works for it is. He starts at 6.30 am. It is no picnic and they work incredibly hard.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

steviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nicesteviethornton is just really nice

hi what agents have you been speaking to?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Yes they do work very hard my hubby does 46 or so hours a week at the moment he is an Electrician, we pay $400 per week for a rental and looking around that is about average for the suburb we are in. Cost of living I would say is a bit more expensive than the UK and gas,electric and especially broadband is more expensive than the UK. We are not really a lot better off financially but the lifestyle more than makes up for it. A friend of ours is a Plasterer and has been here 3 years and he is earning very good money, just dont expect to earn the money immediately