British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa Advice - Sponsored Work Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-advice-sponsored-work-visa-917664/)

emasonhome Sep 25th 2018 4:31 pm

Visa Advice - Sponsored Work Visa

Hi,

I'm looking to find employment and gain a TSS visa (1-5 years max is the current plan).

My husband would be considered as a dependent (we can financially support ourselves), until he finds employment and also applies for a work visa.

Can anyone advise how easy this typically is to get accepted and how long the process normally takes from receiving a job offer to being in-country and starting work?

Thanks!

scot47 Sep 25th 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Visa Advice - Sponsored Work Visa

How many countries are you inquiring about ? Seriously, you have to narrow doen the search ! And say something about your marketable skills in the labour market. If you are independently wealthy and can support yourselves why are you emirarting ?

Pollyana Sep 25th 2018 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by emasonhome (Post 12568053)
Hi,

I'm looking to find employment and gain a TSS visa (1-5 years max is the current plan).

My husband would be considered as a dependent (we can financially support ourselves), until he finds employment and also applies for a work visa.

Can anyone advise how easy this typically is to get accepted and how long the process normally takes from receiving a job offer to being in-country and starting work?

Thanks!

The main issue is usually not the time taken to get the visa gramted, but the time taken to find a sponsor. What field are you looking in?

Your husband would not require a separate work visa, he would be a dependent on your visa and that gives him full working rights.

emasonhome Sep 28th 2018 11:11 am

In terms of the role I'm looking for, I'm looking to work in Project Management. I have over 8 years experience, across People Management Consultancy, Video Production and more recently in the Automotive Engineering sector and I am qualified to APMP and Prince2, as well as having an unrelated Bachelors Degree.

I'm really trying to understand which countries will realistically have any employment opportunities, and to understand how long a search people have typically experienced when trying to emigrate.

verystormy Sep 29th 2018 5:05 am

First, have you checked your eligibility forma visa? Is your occupation eligible?

Second, the employer also has to be eligible. Not all are.

Third, the individual role has to meet eligibility criteria.

Fourth, and this is a big one, not every employer will sponsor even though they are eligible. Many now won't because of costs and processing times. Visa processing for TSS visas are now taking many months.

Fifth, you use the word emigrate. You aren't emigrating on a TSS. It is a temporary work permit with no automatic path to anything else.

Lastly, have you read about the pitfalls of such visas? For example, are you aware that partners of visa holders can struggle to get work as employers are justifiably cautious about employing someone whose right to stay in the country isn't in their own hands.

emasonhome Sep 29th 2018 12:43 pm

Many thanks for your insights.

Looking at the STSOL list there are a couple of descriptions that closely match (for both of us), however I am looking to get more advice and guidance in this area. Do you have any suggestions on how best I could get this? I am not really getting anywhere with the visa consultants I have approached so far.

Also, I didn't realise that the visa processing times were quite so long and therefore putting off sponsorship. I'll do a little more investigation here to fully understand the impact this may have on our plans.

Regarding your final comment, I wasn't aware that my partners visa may cause problems in finding work. We do have the option of one of us initially getting sponsored employment and going out, with the other person staying in the UK until they get sponsored employment, and therefore a visa in their own right. I think both options have their risks and difficulties.

Lots of food for thought and further research needed, I think.

Pollyana Sep 29th 2018 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by emasonhome (Post 12570092)
Many thanks for your insights.

Looking at the STSOL list there are a couple of descriptions that closely match (for both of us), however I am looking to get more advice and guidance in this area. Do you have any suggestions on how best I could get this? I am not really getting anywhere with the visa consultants I have approached so far.

Also, I didn't realise that the visa processing times were quite so long and therefore putting off sponsorship. I'll do a little more investigation here to fully understand the impact this may have on our plans.

Regarding your final comment, I wasn't aware that my partners visa may cause problems in finding work. We do have the option of one of us initially getting sponsored employment and going out, with the other person staying in the UK until they get sponsored employment, and therefore a visa in their own right. I think both options have their risks and difficulties.

Lots of food for thought and further research needed, I think.

Make sure you talk to registered migration agents, not just visa consulants. There are several that post on here and they have a good reputation.

verystormy Sep 30th 2018 5:55 am

I would second Pollyanas advice. Speak to one of the registered agents such as Go Matilda. You will need to pay for this.

Do not assume you will get sponsorship. It is hard to get and requires the company to prove they couldn't get someone locally and many don't want to wait months to fill a role along with the uncertainty of even if a visa will be granted after waiting months.

verystormy Sep 30th 2018 5:56 am

I would second Pollyanas advice. Speak to one of the registered agents such as Go Matilda. You will need to pay for this.

Do not assume you will get sponsorship. It is hard to get and requires the company to prove they couldn't get someone locally and many don't want to wait months to fill a role along with the uncertainty of even if a visa will be granted after waiting months.