British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa 475 work limitations? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-475-work-limitations-754217/)

samishah Apr 8th 2012 2:17 pm

Visa 475 work limitations?

So the rules for Visa Subclass 475 (which we've gotten and are moving to WA through soon) are quite clear on the whole living thing. We have to live in a regional WA area (outside Perth) for two years and work for 12 months.

My question is, do we have to work in regional WA for the FIRST 12 months OR any 12 months in the 3 year visa period? Like, can we get jobs in Perth during the first few months until we can find something worthwhile in - say - Mandurah? The idea being, there are tons of job openings in Perth, so avail those and earn enough to get by monthly, before taking something good in Mandurah?

I might be a tad convoluted in my question, hope it is coming across clearly.

I tried looking for a place to submit my query on the immigration website and can't find anything.

Bermudashorts Apr 9th 2012 3:13 am

Re: Visa 475 work limitations?

Your visa only permits work in regional Australia, it is not a question of first 12 months or any 12 months. Whilst you are on this visa you cannot work in Perth or any other metro area. The relevance of the 12 months comes in when you come to apply for the next stage, then you will need to demonstrate that you have this much regional work experience at least, it does not mean you can work in metro area for the rest of the time.

samishah Apr 9th 2012 3:21 am

Oh okay, that makes sense then. Thanks so much! Just wanted to avoid doing anything stupid.

One more quick question, then I'll stop: Do you have to work in the profession you got assessed for, or any full time 35 hours a week job?

Bermudashorts Apr 9th 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by samishah (Post 9995632)
Oh okay, that makes sense then. Thanks so much! Just wanted to avoid doing anything stupid.

One more quick question, then I'll stop: Do you have to work in the profession you got assessed for, or any full time 35 hours a week job?

You can work in any profession and it still counts towards the 12 months you need to clock up for the next stage visa.

samishah Apr 9th 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks Bermudashorts! Your encyclopedic knowledge leaves me in your debt!

samishah Jul 30th 2012 8:56 am

Have another query:

So I am now based in Northam but have gotten offers for freelance work (graphic design). However, the client is based in Perth. On my 475 Visa, if my abn, tfn and bank account, plus residence etc are all based in Northam, can I work freelance for clients in the Perth CBD area?

mrsgreenstar76 Jul 30th 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by samishah (Post 10200627)
Have another query:

So I am now based in Northam but have gotten offers for freelance work (graphic design). However, the client is based in Perth. On my 475 Visa, if my abn, tfn and bank account, plus residence etc are all based in Northam, can I work freelance for clients in the Perth CBD area?

No. You cannot work in Perth or the surrounding areas whilst on this visa.

Bermudashorts Jul 30th 2012 10:45 am

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10200695)
No. You cannot work in Perth or the surrounding areas for the first two years.

They cannot work in Perth for the duration of being on this visa, not just not for the first two years.

mrsgreenstar76 Jul 30th 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10200768)
They cannot work in Perth for the duration of being on this visa, not just not for the first two years.

Yep, you're quite right. I was thinking of them applying for the next one after the two years. Thanks for the correction (I've edited it now. :thumbup:).

I might wake up at some point today! :rofl: