Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Visa 461 Breakup and new partner visitor visa

Visa 461 Breakup and new partner visitor visa

Old May 19th 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

mostafa0020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa 461 Breakup and new partner visitor visa

Hi all,

I think my story isn't new , tho different maybe, to list few points as hereunder:
1- I got married to a kiwi girl and got a 461 visa.
2- Few months later, we got divorced (it happens!).
3- Didn't inform DIBP about anything (simply, I forgot to!).
4- Did a short visit to Australia after that, for a week time, with 461 visa.
5- I moved overseas where I got remarried (it happens as well!)
6- After about 3 years of 461, I got a job in Australia and keen to move.

Questions:
1- My current wife will apply for a tourist visa, should she mention in the e600 visa application that she is going to visit her husband (myself) who has a temporary residency visa in Australia from his ex-marriage?.

2- Would that cause any issues with my current visa as I didn't inform DIBP of the breakup and my remarriage.

3- Can she mention that she will get financial support out of my employment offer in Australia? attach it to the application along with our bank statements? marriage certificate too?

Please advise.
Old May 19th 2018, 7:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa 461 Breakup and new partner visitor visa

Originally Posted by mostafa0020
Hi all,

I think my story isn't new , tho different maybe, to list few points as hereunder:
1- I got married to a kiwi girl and got a 461 visa.
2- Few months later, we got divorced (it happens!).
3- Didn't inform DIBP about anything (simply, I forgot to!).
4- Did a short visit to Australia after that, for a week time, with 461 visa.
5- I moved overseas where I got remarried (it happens as well!)
6- After about 3 years of 461, I got a job in Australia and keen to move.

Questions:
1- My current wife will apply for a tourist visa, should she mention in the e600 visa application that she is going to visit her husband (myself) who has a temporary residency visa in Australia from his ex-marriage?.

2- Would that cause any issues with my current visa as I didn't inform DIBP of the breakup and my remarriage.

3- Can she mention that she will get financial support out of my employment offer in Australia? attach it to the application along with our bank statements? marriage certificate too?

Please advise.
You say your new wife is coming to Australia to visit you. So what visa are you currently holding? If you are no longer with your New Zealand citizen partner you can't still be on a 461.
Old May 19th 2018, 8:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just because to didn't tell DOHA of your divorce, that doesn't mean that the 461 you were granted through your wife is still valid - it has been invalid since the day the divorce was finalised. As Polly says, you need to tell us what visa you're currently on if you're in Australia.
Old May 19th 2018, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

mostafa0020 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am overseas, still on 461. it is valid till 2021.
Old May 19th 2018, 9:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was mistaken before, you're right, a 461 does remain valid for 5 years even if you divorce.
Where I think you'll come unstuck is that you are required as a condition of the visa to inform DOHA of any change is your marital status, and if you divorce and remarry the 461 visa is no longer valid.
Old May 19th 2018, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just because to didn't tell DOHA of your divorce, that doesn't mean that the 461 you were granted through your wife is still valid - it has been invalid since the day the divorce was finalised. As Polly says, you need to tell us what visa you're currently on if you're in Australia.
This is not actually the case. The 461 is valid for 5 years even if the relationship breaks down during that period. A 461 can even be rolled over after the relationship has ended as long as the holder does not enter into a new relationship.

The main issue for OP will be what happens when the 461 does expire, as he will need a new visa at that point and he won’t be eligible for a further 461 as he is in a new relationship.

Old May 20th 2018, 4:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would be careful unless you have followed all the rules of the visa, one of which is
You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...#tab-content-1

As you are talking of moving back to Australia and working here you need to remember as you have remarried your 461 cannot be renewed, so you will need to leave Australia before 2021, unless you can qualify for and apply for a different visa in the meantime.
As for your new wife's tourist visa, she should just answer all questions honestly.
Old May 22nd 2018, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

I did try and post a response here a couple of days ago, but the forum appears to have eaten it.

It is correct that the 461 remains valid even when the relationship with the Kiwi partner breaks down. It can even be rolled over if the holder does not enter a new relationship. As the OP is now in a new relationship, as mentioned above, he is not eligible for a new 461.

It would be worth the OP contacting an RMA to see what long term pathways may be available to him.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 19th 2018 at 11:54 pm. Reason: Please place in BE sig.