British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Which visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-431870/)

jazzys Mar 3rd 2007 7:48 am

Which visa?

Hi, I am writing this as I need some answers for when my mates wife rings me up to ask where she should start this whole thing off.

I am currently awaiting my visa 136 Modl and she thinks I know everything, as it happens my wife thinks I know nowt but thats another story!

She and her hubby are looking into emigrating, he has always had his own business (double glazing) and she is a mature student studying to be a social worker. They are both around the just under 40 year old mark and have three kids.

Can anyone give me any idea whether they would be eligible for ANY type of permanent residence visa?

Cheers

grahampaula Mar 3rd 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Which visa?

You might get some answers from here www.immi.gov.au and you could always get them to ring an agent, as I believe they dont charge for advice.

WS Mar 3rd 2007 1:54 pm

I would suggest to them that they ring an agent for a free initial chat to assess their options.

liamcnaught Mar 3rd 2007 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 4476894)
Hi, I am writing this as I need some answers for when my mates wife rings me up to ask where she should start this whole thing off.

I am currently awaiting my visa 136 Modl and she thinks I know everything, as it happens my wife thinks I know nowt but thats another story!

She and her hubby are looking into emigrating, he has always had his own business (double glazing) and she is a mature student studying to be a social worker. They are both around the just under 40 year old mark and have three kids.

Can anyone give me any idea whether they would be eligible for ANY type of permanent residence visa?

Cheers

As above, yeh def contact an agent as they have the experience and will give all the correct answers. Also there is the option to review different types of visas online.

cheers

Lia

jazzys Mar 3rd 2007 4:42 pm

Can anyone recommend an agent for them to ring and get an initial assessment?

Many thanks

grahampaula Mar 3rd 2007 10:33 pm

We used www.1stcontact.co.uk

JAJ Mar 3rd 2007 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 4476894)

Cheers

Download and read migration booklet 7:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/index.htm

This explains business skill migration. Bear in mind this is generally provisional and will only lead to permanent residence if you set up a business in Australia and meet specific requirements. If you have older children you must also consider dependency issues.

You will need professional assistance. However, you do need to make sure the agent you select understands business migration as not all agents do.

jazzys Mar 4th 2007 5:38 am

Thanks for the replies, I have had a quick look through booklet 7.

Would an applicant still be accepted on a business skills visa if at some point they had been declared bankrupt in the UK?

Thanks

JAJ Mar 4th 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 4479604)
Thanks for the replies, I have had a quick look through booklet 7.

Would an applicant still be accepted on a business skills visa if at some point they had been declared bankrupt in the UK?

One of the requirements for most business skill visas is that the applicant "has had an overall successful business career." Bankruptcy could definitely cause a problem, so get professional assistance to see what flexibility is there.

jazzys Mar 4th 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks JAJ, I was thinking the only other route may have been to see if my friend could continue her degree over there. Would that allow her and her husband and 3 children in?

Or is there an option where you can buy your way in?

Cheers

JAJ Mar 4th 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 4481053)
Thanks JAJ, I was thinking the only other route may have been to see if my friend could continue her degree over there. Would that allow her and her husband and 3 children in?

Not necessarily, sorry. An Australian qualification is not enough for permanent residence, as thousands have already found out the hard way.

And I doubt you could use a student visa to study for a foreign degree. It would be necessary to transfer to an Australian course, and where a qualification is incomplete, a lot of credit is always lost in translation to another country's system.

Or is there an option where you can buy your way in?
Investor visa (explained in booklet 7) is the closest option. But bankruptcy might be a problem here too.