British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   vetassess practical skills assessment refrigeration engineer. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/vetassess-practical-skills-assessment-refrigeration-engineer-505894/)

571090 Jan 13th 2008 5:03 pm

vetassess practical skills assessment refrigeration engineer.

hi can anybody help me , i have passed the first part of vetassess , and now i have to undertake a practical skills assessment , has anybody done it and whats it like . regards , karl.

chris96 Feb 10th 2008 3:49 pm

Re: vetassess practical skills assessment refrigeration engineer.

I would like to know the answer to this one

Come on guy's

Chris

tempaire1 Feb 11th 2008 12:25 pm

i also have been told to that i can proceed to the pratical assesment and i am assuming this is new to alot if its just splits and vrf you do i would be a bit concerned, brushing up on refrigeration skills i would think would be benificial as vetassess are a bit light on what to expect but along the lines of commercial/industrial fridge and ac i expect pack/chillers maybe casecade or ammonia, a broad base of experiance is what i would look for.

any ideas.

what i have done is get in touch with local training centre given them the competency profile assessment and asked for advice. dare i say it that the same would apply to migrants entering the uk...... no laughing. just trying to be practical.

chris96 Feb 11th 2008 3:29 pm

Have you got your practical booked and when for if so?

Chris

tempaire1 Feb 11th 2008 5:24 pm

competency profile assessment received today. practical application form faxed and sent in post today will now have to wait. the form says april 7th but no confirmation of exact time and location. just be patient i suppose.

chris96 Feb 11th 2008 6:32 pm

Good luck mate, let me know how it goes.:thumbsup:

Chris

tempaire1 Feb 26th 2008 11:06 am

practical skills assessment received today 07/04/08 at north west college of london 7.30am a lay in.

571090 Feb 27th 2008 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by tempaire1 (Post 5984829)
practical skills assessment received today 07/04/08 at north west college of london 7.30am a lay in.

ditto , just got my dates as well , exactly the same as yours , have they told you what tools to take , if we know this we will have a good idea what the assessment is about , did vetassess say how long the assessment is ie , 1 or 2 days , regards . karl.

tempaire1 Feb 29th 2008 5:03 pm

no did not say how long but i took my course there when it was just called willsden college they had a work shop in there just small semi hermetics rigged up and a cold room not sure what it is like now, there was no a/c most courses did not side on vrv,vrf then only a/c applications most was on practical refrigeration all the dirty stuff was fun with the meggar.good luck 571090

571090 Feb 29th 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by tempaire1 (Post 5999947)
no did not say how long but i took my course there when it was just called willsden college they had a work shop in there just small semi hermetics rigged up and a cold room not sure what it is like now, there was no a/c most courses did not side on vrv,vrf then only a/c applications most was on practical refrigeration all the dirty stuff was fun with the meggar.good luck 571090

i think you are probably right , all being well it will be good old refrigeration , i think they will concentrate on refrigeration handling , pumpdown , setting up a tev valve [ maybe ] and possibly wiring up a compressor electrics , i have sent you a pm regarding vetassess , we probably are the first refrigeration engineers to go on this assessment, regards , karl.

Brownie Mar 1st 2008 10:42 am

Good luck to those who are taken there practical skills in April. I have only just finished the first part this morning and missed the dead line for April.
I also went to college there and we have a young guy at work that goes there so i will ask him what set up they have there as it was over eight years since i was there.
As i say good luck,

571090 Mar 2nd 2008 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Brownie (Post 6003109)
Good luck to those who are taken there practical skills in April. I have only just finished the first part this morning and missed the dead line for April.
I also went to college there and we have a young guy at work that goes there so i will ask him what set up they have there as it was over eight years since i was there.
As i say good luck,

cheers all help is much appreciated , all being well it should be pretty straight forward , but i am not holding out . regards . karl.

tempaire1 Mar 2nd 2008 6:58 pm

karl looking at the electrical practical the fridge side maybe similar ie provide each person with a work station with a bundle of bits build/install it into a working model, leave work station and do a written test/interview and then return to find the fault that has been provided on your work station and explain your route to the problem with a assesor asking tech questions, this could quite easily be carried out in this facility.

Brownie Mar 3rd 2008 4:37 pm

Had a word with the apprentice today and the set up at the College of North West London is still five or six small semi hermetics and a small cold room maybe two. There is a couple of small splits which they use to pipe up for installs no longer then a two meter run with a few bends which are needed. There is a small area for brazing. There is no large VRV’s etc on site, hope this helps you guys out specially being the first to carry out the practical assessment.

It would be interesting to hear what was involved when you guys complete the practical assessment in April.

571090 Mar 3rd 2008 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brownie (Post 6011495)
Had a word with the apprentice today and the set up at the College of North West London is still five or six small semi hermetics and a small cold room maybe two. There is a couple of small splits which they use to pipe up for installs no longer then a two meter run with a few bends which are needed. There is a small area for brazing. There is no large VRV’s etc on site, hope this helps you guys out specially being the first to carry out the practical assessment.

It would be interesting to hear what was involved when you guys complete the practical assessment in April.

good man , cheers for that , i think you are right we probably are the first engineers to do this assessment , once i have done it i will post all the info regarding it , so the next lot have a good idea what its about , do you know of any decent accomodation near the college also is there parking at the college , once again thanks, regards , karl.

tempaire1 Mar 3rd 2008 6:32 pm

you can park outside ok from what i can remember, where to stay well it is willsden choose wisely i am sure they is accomodation like travel lodge locally.

Brownie Mar 3rd 2008 6:58 pm

As tempaire said i also think you can park outside the college. Not to sure about decent accomodation off hand. I am sure there must be something close as Wembly is only down the road.

chris96 Mar 3rd 2008 7:04 pm

Karl,

I've lost your number, give me ring tomorrow mate

Chris.

571090 Mar 3rd 2008 9:06 pm

thanks chaps , i will look into a good digs , i can only assume from the statement that wilsden is not the best place in the world . regards karl .
ps will give you a bell in morning chris.

FlyingPicketts Mar 4th 2008 6:13 am

Originally Posted by 571090 (Post 6012711)
thanks chaps , i will look into a good digs , i can only assume from the statement that wilsden is not the best place in the world . regards karl .
ps will give you a bell in morning chris.

Yeah I went there and the area is a dump! Don't take a van full of tools and park around there!! I think Willesden has a tube station nearby....try and stay outside of the area and commute in. Good luck to all.
Phil

571090 Mar 4th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingPicketts (Post 6013997)
Yeah I went there and the area is a dump! Don't take a van full of tools and park around there!! I think Willesden has a tube station nearby....try and stay outside of the area and commute in. Good luck to all.
Phil

cheers phil and all the others for the advice , lets hope it all goes well for everyone whos going on it , regards . karl.

tempaire1 Apr 4th 2008 6:43 am

good luck to all those taking practical on monday 7th april

Brownie Apr 13th 2008 9:19 am

So Guys, How was it?
What sort of tasks did you have to do?
Was there many people there?:eek:

tempaire1 Apr 13th 2008 8:24 pm

hi to all, just waiting for the results to come through so you can apprieciate that not many would want to put anything on the forum as yet but i would have liked some info so just brushing over the day. on arrival registration then taken to work shop was given varying assignments to do on 5 work stations 5 attended with 1 assessor and 2 assistants they just want you to show competancy if you do ac install/splits dont bother more so fridge set up
would learn how to test compr 1 & 3 phase and be able to draw star/delta the rest is straight forward proceedures pressure test de-hydration charging and logging of superheat low/high pressure settings and such like, note aussies do not use bar or psig so would get use to using kpa (psig x 6.89)
will not say anymore do not want to tempt fate but if you know what you are doing you will be fine, you do get asked loads of questions if they feel you are stuggling as some found out. to all the guys who went well done.

571090 Apr 13th 2008 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Brownie (Post 6200937)
So Guys, How was it?
What sort of tasks did you have to do?
Was there many people there?:eek:

for god sake dont use a haksaw to cut tube , use a junior , agreed tempaire.

tempaire1 Apr 14th 2008 2:47 pm

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.

well i could add to the list hammer, ting, thingy, and dont forget the knife and fork, take extra food theres always someone who pleads poverty ha,ha,ha i had to come out with that one, and go to the gym if you need to carry tools, long walk, now i am crying, last of all a fire exstinguisher and some ear plugs.

Brownie Apr 14th 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks tempaire1 for the info hope it went ok for you all. Just waiting to here when i will be doing it, think the next one is around June.
At least i have a rough idea what i will be doing now.

Fingers crossed guys

571090 Apr 15th 2008 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Brownie (Post 6207747)
Thanks tempaire1 for the info hope it went ok for you all. Just waiting to here when i will be doing it, think the next one is around June.
At least i have a rough idea what i will be doing now.

Fingers crossed guys

you will be fine mate , but if you mainly work on air con then you need to brush up on your fridge side , semi hermetics , rotalock valves , solonoid valves etc , the examiner will make you feel relaxed , in honesty after the first hour i started to enjoy the assessment , i think tempaire will agree with me .
if you know what you are doing you will be fine , but you must be hot on your health and safety and also demonstrate good working practice , our assessor was old school [ he knew what he was talking about ] not a jumped up college boy , he explained the tasks in laymans terms , that in itself made you feel more at ease about the assessment , like tempaire said before we dont want to jump the gun and say we passed it easy because things like this have a nasty habit of biting you on the arse , regards.karl.

tempaire1 Apr 15th 2008 5:27 pm

totally agree karl,but am looking at post daily thinking by some chance results will come early just done medicals, company would like me to start aug everything a rush but good fun, did they say they would email results as well could not remember please remind if so.also did you get your new employee ha ha.

571090 Apr 15th 2008 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by tempaire1 (Post 6213059)
totally agree karl,but am looking at post daily thinking by some chance results will come early just done medicals, company would like me to start aug everything a rush but good fun, did they say they would email results as well could not remember please remind if so.also did you get your new employee ha ha.

hi boss , i think they said that they would email us when the results come through , i think it will probably be the back end of next week before we hear anything [ fingers crossed ] i am going to the middle east next week to recrute engineers , fancy coming , regarding the medical did they ask you to cough , regards.
karl.

tempaire1 Apr 15th 2008 10:50 pm

with something that big i had to cough twice, the blighter cound not speak french either whats the world coming to, middle east well i would read up on that before i went you never know whats the weathers like and the cost of living if you know what i mean.

tempaire1 Apr 15th 2008 10:52 pm

and thanks for the info just wait again i suppose.
cheers H

tempaire1 Apr 26th 2008 9:39 am

hi all

its sat 26th april and just got successful outcome from vetassess pratical how did you all do
regards harry

ps. can move on now.

Brownie Apr 26th 2008 7:02 pm

Well done mate:thumbup:

tempaire1 Apr 27th 2008 6:08 am

thanks brownie.

good luck to the rest of you guys, i am in the london region so over seas post might be delayed for a day or two so i would not worry i thought all that went with the exception of one put in a good account of themselves and proved that they are good enough.

enjoy the moment.

regards harry

Radlam Aug 1st 2008 8:56 am

Can anyone that has done this practical, please provide some more info on what is involved?