British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Vetassess for Plumbers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/vetassess-plumbers-544557/)

john& becky Jun 22nd 2008 7:34 pm

Vetassess for Plumbers

Hi all,

Can anyone who has been through the Vetassess for General Plumber tell me if I need to be competent in ALL areas of the Competency Groups? I am a partner in a plumbing and heating business so I'm fairly sure I'm competent but there is a section on Irrigation. I presume this is sprinkler systems but its not something I have ever come across, do I just put "sometimes" like I've done with other stuff and hope it doesnt come up or do you think I need to research it more thoroughly? The only other thing I have any concerns with is welding PE pipe, will this come up and should I practice in the meantime? We use push fit or compression fittings for Blue pipe. And if I put "never" does that mean I automatically fail the paper assessment and dont get through to the practical?

Decided to try and get through at least the Vetassess without an agent as I had nearly all of the TRA stuff in place and it seems quite similar documentation, certified docs, certificates etc.
Any advice appreciated.

John

OZERJON Jun 22nd 2008 7:51 pm

Re: Vetassess for Plumbers

hi john

I know exactly where your coming from as a lot of the competency groups don't match exactly what we do. I filled out the paper based assesment and got a positive out come and I to have limited experience with irregation. I think as long as you can tick the vast majority of the box's you should be ok. We used an immigration agent who did all of this. She was very good and thourough and made sure every cert was in place before my paperbased was sent off.

all the best

john

john& becky Jun 22nd 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks for the input, when you actually did the practical was there some random checks involved or did they cover every point on the assessment? If its a one day written and one day practical they could cover a fair bit, but surely not all and if its all crammed in to one day there must be a fair % not touched on?

OZERJON Jun 22nd 2008 8:04 pm

hi there

my practical is on the 14th july so i'm in the dark as much as you. The practical is only for 1 day with technical interviews throughout the day.

cheers
john

john& becky Jun 22nd 2008 8:27 pm

Well if you dont mind I would love to discuss it with you once you have been and got it over with!

Like EVERYONE on here I'm sure, I have an overwhelming feeling that I cant wait for it all to be sorted but know I have to be patient for probably another year or so. Its exciting but depressing.

SimonG Jun 22nd 2008 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by john& becky (Post 6492806)
Well if you dont mind I would love to discuss it with you once you have been and got it over with!

Like EVERYONE on here I'm sure, I have an overwhelming feeling that I cant wait for it all to be sorted but know I have to be patient for probably another year or so. Its exciting but depressing.

Now then, I'm going through an agent and he was unsure about me not having gas and roofing experience. I explained around this and it looks good so far.

He also sent me a practical guide for the skills assessment.

General plumber
������ Fabricate a simulated water service, using the specification and drawings
provided, using use of various jointing methods (including silver brazing,
compression and polyethylene/polybutylene) and various tools (including
silver brazing equipment, flaring tools, crimping equipment and testing
equipment). Test the completed water service with a hydrostatic water tester
������ Install discharge pipes and unventilated branch drain using
specification sand
drawings.
o install hand basin
o a discharge pipe from a basin
o a discharge pipe from a shower
o a suspended unvented branch drain
o a riser and pan adaptor for an 'S' trap WC
������ Gas option:
o fabricate and install gas piping system
o install a short section of DN 20 galvanised steel pipe
o install a short section of DN 20 copper tube
o installation (gas piping only) of an instantaneous HWS
o install a branch for future installation of a hydronic heater
������ Roof option:
o fabricate simulated box gutter
o cut and join sheet metal
o assemble prefabricated rectangular/round downpipe pop into the box
gutter
o secure and seal fabricated joints

And also a list of tools to take with you....

Adjustable square
Cordless drill and bits
Cutters L & R
Flaring tool
Hacksaw and blades
Hammer
Handsaw
Multi grips
Pop riveter
Power leads
Power saw
Safety equipment, e.g. safety goggles, ear muffs, eye protection, etc
Screwdriver set
Shifter silicon gun and silicon
Spirit level 900mm
String lines
Tube benders
Pipe vice
Pipe threading dies

All good fun.

But from what I have heard from other people there is nothing on the assessment that should put anybody off who has served their time.

Simon.

john& becky Jun 22nd 2008 9:30 pm

So are you telling me I need to buy dies and a pipe vice? lol, not something i use on a day to day basis, all pushfit solvent weld and end feed for me.

SimonG Jun 23rd 2008 7:03 am

Originally Posted by john& becky (Post 6492927)
So are you telling me I need to buy dies and a pipe vice? lol, not something i use on a day to day basis, all pushfit solvent weld and end feed for me.

Snap, same for me. Should know more in a few weeks as people go through the July assessments. I'm targetting the October assessments.

Simon.

john& becky Jun 23rd 2008 7:18 pm

October for me too hopefully, the form is ready, just gathering the evidence and getting it certified. I have a lot of Statutory declarations from the TRA application but not sure if they are acceptable.