British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Vetassess occupation consultation service? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/vetassess-occupation-consultation-service-906571/)

TomH1 Dec 6th 2017 7:31 am

Vetassess occupation consultation service?

Hello All

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used the VETASSESS occupation consultation service and whether the found it worth the money?

I've been looking for an occupation to apply for a 189 visa, without boring everyone to death on my life story, I have a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and work as an in house civil engineer for a house builder. The full design work is carried out by consultants but someone has to be here to appoint a consultant, outline what we want, check their designs, take them through the construction process solving all the little issues that inevitable come up. It also involves a lot of other things like getting quotes and designs for new services/making agreements with local authorities/NHBC conditions/Tree officers, all sorts really, but it's not something really straightforward to define like being a maths teacher for example.

I had been thinking of applying under "Civil Engineering Technician 312212" As I'm sure I've got a highly relevant qualification, the job description information I've been able to find is pretty brief and a bit confusing, I've been thinking about using the Vetassess consultation service to try to find out what exactly they're looking for under that description and if I'd be able to make a convincing argument for myself, but it's more than 200 dollars for a 30 minute phone chat, Babestation doesn't charge those kind of rates, I was hoping there's someone out there who could advise me if it's a service that'd help me out or just money down the drain?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.:regular_smile:

old.sparkles Dec 6th 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Vetassess occupation consultation service?

Originally Posted by TomH1 (Post 12394710)
Hello All

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used the VETASSESS occupation consultation service and whether the found it worth the money?

I've been looking for an occupation to apply for a 189 visa, without boring everyone to death on my life story, I have a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and work as an in house civil engineer for a house builder. The full design work is carried out by consultants but someone has to be here to appoint a consultant, outline what we want, check their designs, take them through the construction process solving all the little issues that inevitable come up. It also involves a lot of other things like getting quotes and designs for new services/making agreements with local authorities/NHBC conditions/Tree officers, all sorts really, but it's not something really straightforward to define like being a maths teacher for example.

I had been thinking of applying under "Civil Engineering Technician 312212" As I'm sure I've got a highly relevant qualification, the job description information I've been able to find is pretty brief and a bit confusing, I've been thinking about using the Vetassess consultation service to try to find out what exactly they're looking for under that description and if I'd be able to make a convincing argument for myself, but it's more than 200 dollars for a 30 minute phone chat, Babestation doesn't charge those kind of rates, I was hoping there's someone out there who could advise me if it's a service that'd help me out or just money down the drain?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.:regular_smile:

Is there a reason why you are not applying as a civil engineer? That assessment is based on degree only I think, which is straight forward if recognised under the Washington, Sydney or Dublin accord. Assessment would be Engineers Australia and occupation is on the list for 189 visa, occupation code 233211.

TomH1 Dec 7th 2017 7:46 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12395118)
Is there a reason why you are not applying as a civil engineer? That assessment is based on degree only I think, which is straight forward if recognised under the Washington, Sydney or Dublin accord. Assessment would be Engineers Australia and occupation is on the list for 189 visa, occupation code 233211.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look into that and see if it's assessed on degree only because it may be an option. Gnerally when people say "Civil Engineer" they are thinking of a designing engineer, which isn't what I've been doing.

Cheers

old.sparkles Dec 7th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by TomH1 (Post 12395269)
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look into that and see if it's assessed on degree only because it may be an option. Gnerally when people say "Civil Engineer" they are thinking of a designing engineer, which isn't what I've been doing.

Cheers

There is a booklet available to help applicants, and if the degree is recognised under one of the accords, there is no request to upload work references, just a resume.

Richard_Gregan Dec 8th 2017 10:01 am

It's worth checking Engineers Australia's website and their 'guidelines for applicants'. Your Bachelor of Engineering may qualify under the Washington Accord, but if it's anything less than 4 years then it's unlikely. You can contact your university and ask them if it is Washington Accord. Engineering Council UK is also a good place to look up qualifications.

Regards,

Richard