Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

VETASSESS: Christian names wrong way round on degree...

Wikiposts

VETASSESS: Christian names wrong way round on degree...

Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:01 am
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice
Default VETASSESS: Christian names wrong way round on degree...

Okay so we're at Stage 1 and about to submit OH's qualifications to VETASSESS.

Trouble is, on her birth certificate she's known as Alison Sarah, whereas her degree certificate says Sarah Alison.

What should we send to VETASSESS as evidence that the degree certificate belongs to her?

Thanks for all your help - top forum!

Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VETASSESS: Christian names wrong way round on degree...

Is the mistake on the certificate due to the unversity making an error? If so, I'm wondering if, when you ask for your transcript, you ask them to make it clear on the letter what her name is and that they made a mistake - or get them to issue another certificate.

I'm not an expert and this is just a suggestion!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:19 am
Chief Innovation Officer

stormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nicestormywhether is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Is the mistake on the certificate due to the unversity making an error? If so, I'm wondering if, when you ask for your transcript, you ask them to make it clear on the letter what her name is and that they made a mistake - or get them to issue another certificate.

I'm not an expert and this is just a suggestion!
No, no mistake - I believe that's how she registered on the course.

It's an odd one. The transcripts will only reflect what is on the degree certificate.

We could go down the 'get a reissue of the degree certificate' route but there's quite a lot of time involved. Our solicitor recommended a statutory notification to elaborate on the swapping over of Christian names. But he didn't know anything about the emigration process, and was merely stating a generalisation.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stormywhether
No, no mistake - I believe that's how she registered on the course.

It's an odd one. The transcripts will only reflect what is on the degree certificate.

We could go down the 'get a reissue of the degree certificate' route but there's quite a lot of time involved. Our solicitor recommended a statutory notification to elaborate on the swapping over of Christian names. But he didn't know anything about the emigration process, and was merely stating a generalisation.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I think your solicitor is probably right! A stat dec sounds sensible.

I have dealt with Vetassess and they have been nothing but helpful and fair. If I were you, I'd either email or phone them and ask their advice. (Phone after 9.30am - their time, though as they have a team meeting first thing)

If it is simply the case of someone using a slightly different name to that which they were given - ie reversing their first and second names, they will be able to tell you what proof to provide. I know quite few people who use their second name, so I'm sure they have had this happen before.

Again, I'm not in any way qualified to give advice and Vetassess will be able to give you the best advice.

Good luck.