British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Vetassess (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/vetassess-358342/)

Flutterby Mar 1st 2006 9:41 am

Vetassess

Yet another Vetassess question I'm afraid, I am just about to send off my online form and I have a few queries.

Length of semesters, do they mean actual teaching (which for me was 12 weeks) or going up to the end of exams and assignment deadlines?

Hours per week, do they mean actual contact time (eg lectures and seminars) which can seem quite minimal or total study time (including personal study time which you are supposed to do to get the qualification)?

Is this information essential to getting the assessment? I know that New Zealand has a definitive list of UK institutions which it will accept qualifications from, is Vetassess the same?

I have emailed Vetassess this morning as well but thought that someone on here may have done theirs recently and could let me know what they did.

Flutterby

Glenn Newton Mar 1st 2006 11:28 am

Re: Vetassess

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Yet another Vetassess question I'm afraid, I am just about to send off my online form and I have a few queries.

Length of semesters, do they mean actual teaching (which for me was 12 weeks) or going up to the end of exams and assignment deadlines?

Hours per week, do they mean actual contact time (eg lectures and seminars) which can seem quite minimal or total study time (including personal study time which you are supposed to do to get the qualification)?

Is this information essential to getting the assessment? I know that New Zealand has a definitive list of UK institutions which it will accept qualifications from, is Vetassess the same?

I have emailed Vetassess this morning as well but thought that someone on here may have done theirs recently and could let me know what they did.

Flutterby

Answering your questions in your order...

Teaching time, but also including up to end of exams if not to large a gap between the end of the teachingtime and the exam. 12 weeks seems short for a semester. The standard in Australia is 18 weeks. But a "term" is 12 weeks in Australia, so maybe your course was over 3 terms to a year rather than 2 semesters to a year?

Teaching contact time (lectures, seminars, tutorials, demonstrations).

Yes. Vetassess is guided by the Country Education profile for the UK prepared by the National Office of Overseas Qualifications (NOOSR) in the Australian Department of Education, Science and Technology (DEST). But it is not necessarily an entirely black and white issue.

Flutterby Mar 1st 2006 11:39 am

Thanks Glenn

12 weeks would be the actual teaching time for a semester and is pretty standard here I think as my husband is a lecturer and his students have 12 weeks of scheduled seminars/lectures per semester (2 semesters per year) at 2 hours contact time per module. Normally only 3 modules taken per semester.

I would imagine that at least 6 weeks would be added on for assignment deadlines and exam timetables. I will look at what the University I went to is doing now to get the info as they have not changed since I was there.

I thought that this would be the easy bit!!

Flutterby

jonjon Mar 1st 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks Glenn

12 weeks would be the actual teaching time for a semester and is pretty standard here I think as my husband is a lecturer and his students have 12 weeks of scheduled seminars/lectures per semester (2 semesters per year) at 2 hours contact time per module. Normally only 3 modules taken per semester.

I would imagine that at least 6 weeks would be added on for assignment deadlines and exam timetables. I will look at what the University I went to is doing now to get the info as they have not changed since I was there.

Flutterby

have Pm you send me your email address and i will send you a sample copy of my app form

CathnPaul Mar 1st 2006 2:45 pm

Thanks Glenn

Flutterby

Hi F, I just rung my old uni and asked them... they broke it down for me. Took two mins. Good luck with vetassess

Flutterby Mar 1st 2006 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Hi F, I just rung my old uni and asked them... they broke it down for me. Took two mins. Good luck with vetassess

Thanks, I was trying to avoid doing this as their admin is so horrendous! But will probably end up having to do this I think.

CathnPaul Mar 1st 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks, I was trying to avoid doing this as their admin is so horrendous! But will probably end up having to do this I think.

Have you had a look at the course on the website?? thats if they have one. It normally gives the semester breakdown as well as the course outline... well in some instances.