Using an Agent

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

hayleyandian is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Using an Agent

I've been lurking the forum for a while now, gathering info etc. We are hoping to send an EOI for the 190 visa, but wondered if anyone had any advice on using an agent. What are the benefits of using an agent? If you've used an agent, is there any you can recommend and what are their rough costs? if doing it yourself how easy was it to arrange the ietls test, or to get your skills tested through VETASSESS etc? Even after submitting an EOI and getting 60 points are you guaranteed of getting and invite? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using an Agent

Originally Posted by hayleyandian
I've been lurking the forum for a while now, gathering info etc. We are hoping to send an EOI for the 190 visa, but wondered if anyone had any advice on using an agent. What are the benefits of using an agent? If you've used an agent, is there any you can recommend and what are their rough costs? if doing it yourself how easy was it to arrange the ietls test, or to get your skills tested through VETASSESS etc? Even after submitting an EOI and getting 60 points are you guaranteed of getting and invite? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi hayleyandian,

Before you can submit an EoI, you will need to get your skills assessed. If you are a UK passport holder, you do not need IELTS unless you need it for either your skills assessment or points. I did both of these myself, but then used an agent to help with lodging the application as I was finding juggling work, home and everything on my own a bit much and didn't want to miss anything. But if everything is straightforward there is no reason you cannot do it yourself. I think typical costs quoted are aroound £2K for agents fees then all the other costs on top. Even with an agent, you still have to do a lot of the work yourselves. Also, if you are planning on applying for the 190, once you have state sponsorship, the visa invitation follows once DIAC have been informed

Good luck.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:08 am
Just Joined

KenGood is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm told that you can save a lot of money by doing it all yourself and all the information is available from the immigration department. I have a few members of my family now living in Australia
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi hayleyandian,

Before you can submit an EoI, you will need to get your skills assessed. If you are a UK passport holder, you do not need IELTS unless you need it for either your skills assessment or points. I did both of these myself, but then used an agent to help with lodging the application as I was finding juggling work, home and everything on my own a bit much and didn't want to miss anything. But if everything is straightforward there is no reason you cannot do it yourself. I think typical costs quoted are aroound £2K for agents fees then all the other costs on top. Even with an agent, you still have to do a lot of the work yourselves. Also, if you are planning on applying for the 190, once you have state sponsorship, the visa invitation follows once DIAC have been informed

Good luck.
Hi, Thanks for this, yes, we need the points so will need to do the ielts test, which is now booked. My partner turns 40 in april so need to try and push to do everything before then, but i think it's going to be impossible. How hard is it to get your skills assessed? Did it take you a long time? Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:51 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for this, yes, we need the points so will need to do the ielts test, which is now booked. My partner turns 40 in april so need to try and push to do everything before then, but i think it's going to be impossible. How hard is it to get your skills assessed? Did it take you a long time? Thanks
Mine did - decided to try Vic Uni and the whole thing took 7 or 8 months - and it's not recognised for licensing

Not sure on vetassess - but don't think they're that long. I also did IELTS for the points - twice as I needed 8.0's and missed by 0.5 on first one (did it straight after a night shift which was not a good idea ) I'm also the wrong side of 40 but with IELTS and sponsorship had enough points (just 60)
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Mine did - decided to try Vic Uni and the whole thing took 7 or 8 months - and it's not recognised for licensing

Not sure on vetassess - but don't think they're that long. I also did IELTS for the points - twice as I needed 8.0's and missed by 0.5 on first one (did it straight after a night shift which was not a good idea ) I'm also the wrong side of 40 but with IELTS and sponsorship had enough points (just 60)
It's good to hear you still managed to get the visa with just getting 60 points, I think we might just about get the 60 after he turns 40. Did yours take long from start to finish? I see you havent got long for the move! We're still debating on using an agent, we are just not sure if there are any benefits. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:29 pm

It's good to hear you still managed to get the visa with just getting 60 points, I think we might just about get the 60 after he turns 40. Did yours take long from start to finish? I see you havent got long for the move! We're still debating on using an agent, we are just not sure if there are any benefits. Thanks for your help!
From start to finish it was a while - waiting for references and the skills assessment were quite long but everyone's case is different and you never know what hiccups you'll encounter. In addition to the skills assessment that took way too long, my son's medicals were referred and I needed to get additional reports, and we suffered a burglary and had passports stolen so had to get new before a visa could be issued. At the end of day, it takes as long as it takes, and if you worry about timelines, you drive yourself loopy. Take each step as it comes, and try not to worry too much
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:49 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

... we are just not sure if there are any benefits.

Here's a couple for starters.

=> Peace of mind and a less stressful process, assuming you choose wisely.

=> Less likely to make a mistake in strategy or the application process that causes a delay in the granting of your visa, or (at worst) leads to your application being refused and monies paid to DIAC being wasted.

Bottom line (apart from costs) is how you feel about going for it with no professional support, but with assistance from others on forums such as this. Some are happy to do their own research. Others want the comfort of third party support.

Good luck, however you decide to proceed!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. We've decided to go with an agent, didn't want to risk getting it wrong. We've been quoted 5x £300 instalments so think this is a manageable for us.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:45 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. We've decided to go with an agent, didn't want to risk getting it wrong. We've been quoted 5x £300 instalments so think this is a manageable for us.
If you can afford it, then it can certainly help, i used one for the visa, but no for a skills assessment, using an agent was invaluable to me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

SunnyD1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Hayleyandian

Can I be really cheeky and ask which agent your using - as one agent that I was thinking of going with has said that it will cost all in all( regarding her fees) about £4000. which appears to be quite expensive? especially given that I dont really seem to be a complex case?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

macatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to allmacatack007 is a name known to all

Hi hayleyandian.
Can I also be cheeky and ask for the details of the agent you decided on.
Pete
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunnyD1982
Hey Hayleyandian

Can I be really cheeky and ask which agent your using - as one agent that I was thinking of going with has said that it will cost all in all( regarding her fees) about £4000. which appears to be quite expensive? especially given that I dont really seem to be a complex case?
If you mean GBP4k just for the agent fees then it is rather costly, if that incudes the visa application fee then it is in the ballpark.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:08 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hayleyandian

What is your intended visa subclass please?

Best regards.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:13 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hayleyandian

I used Go Matilda and I've now been here six years, like I stated if you can afford it, invaluable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.