Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Urgent help and advice needed regarding 457 custody and residency

Urgent help and advice needed regarding 457 custody and residency

Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:38 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgent help and advice needed regarding 457 custody and residency

Right going to put all of this down as I don't know the right answer. I'll start from the beginning, please bear with me it's quite long...

BFF arrived here, alone, 2.5years ago on 457 visa. Met bloke 15 months ago and got pregnant immediately He was on a spouse visa, but, separated from said spouse, who then cancelled his visa. He was then visaless.... So she had him added to her visa, as de facto. The bought a house together... (her money paid the v. hefty deposit over $200K)

Baby born 6 months ago, he became violent and manipulative, she has been trying to get him out of the house, but he refused to leave. So she left and stayed with friends. Relationship on and off and on and off again, but never for more than a week or two before he started his old game plan again.
Anyway he moved out of the house and then decided that he would move back in again because 'it's half mine'!

I was there, he woke the baby in middle of night banging about in spare room (getting ready to leave to watch world cup) she was mad, went to get baby and shouted at him for waking baby. End Result, he hit her AGAIN, I called police, he left to watch match, before they arrive.
Statements are taken. Mediation was booked for Tuesday and now AVO issued with court scheduled for today Tuesday's mediation.... he says he want baby to stay in Aus until he's 18 and accused BFF of not putting through PR app to prevent this.... (possibly true). Then today went to court and pleaded NOT GUILTY to charge despite admitting to police that he DID hit her.

So question is.... Would it be legal for her to resign from job, have visa cancelled (his too) and leave country, forcing him back to the UK as well. There's no order for baby to stay at the moment would it be legal for her to leave NOW and should she before she's trapped her for an eternity????

We're clear about the property, thankfully, but it seems to me that his aim is to make her as miserable as possible.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help and advice needed regarding 457 custody and residency

She doesn't need to jack in her job and cancel the visa. She can simply inform DIAC that the relationship has broken down, that he is no longer her de facto partner and he will lose his visa and be sent back to the UK after which she and the child can do as they please.

That's how I'd do it anyway. She has the detailed proof of his violence, there should be no problem with him losing his visa.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:26 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Are you absolutely sure that this can be done?

Somebody told her that the baby couldn't have a different emigration status to the father??? It's possibly not true, but if everyone agrees, I'll tell her and it will be done tomorrow.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally

Somebody told her that the baby couldn't have a different emigration status to the father??? It's possibly not true, but if everyone agrees, I'll tell her and it will be done tomorrow.
She's on a Temp visa and had the baby here so the baby is hers but is British (presumably). As far as I'm aware the migration status of the father is irrelevant but perhaps in the circumstances her best move would be to have a consultation with a reputable migration expert who will tell her exactly what she can and can't do. Most of the good ones will do a fifteen minute free first consultation so if she works out the questions she needs to ask and avoids 'chat' she may get all the info she needs from that one conversation. Try George Lombard or Alan Collett or Ian Harrop - all their details are in their public profiles on here.

At the end of the day she holds all the cards, he doesn't hold any.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The baby at present will be on a 457, like the mother. If the mother goes for PR the baby will presumably be on that application but the father won't if the relationship has broken down.
If the father goes for PR he can put his child on his application, but not his ex-partner.

Where it will get complicated is if one parent is here, one is in the UK, and there is a conflict over custoy of the child. I would echo Moneypenny's suggestion of getting advice from a registered agent.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:03 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I so, so wish I could help you with this one, but I really have no idea about the visa side of things

It doesn't matter if he does accuse your friend of not putting him on the application...she has evidence of his violence towards her & it's her visa - why on earth would she include him???

Definitely get hold of someone like George Lombard asap, as I am sure there are ways & means of getting this guy's visa cancelled, especially since he now has a "record".

Very best wishes to your friend

Last edited by JenniGee; Jun 16th 2010 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

What is that with these men who get off on hitting women ? How brave and tough they are [not] !

The fact he has hit her and she has a baby should make it very easy to get a court order keeping him out of the house. The lady in question also needs a lawyer to protect her house and assets also.

The nasty prick will get him comeuppance soon.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Jun 17th 2010 at 6:57 am.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Right going to put all of this down as I don't know the right answer. I'll start from the beginning, please bear with me it's quite long...

BFF arrived here, alone, 2.5years ago on 457 visa. Met bloke 15 months ago and got pregnant immediately He was on a spouse visa, but, separated from said spouse, who then cancelled his visa. He was then visaless.... So she had him added to her visa, as de facto. The bought a house together... (her money paid the v. hefty deposit over $200K)

Baby born 6 months ago, he became violent and manipulative, she has been trying to get him out of the house, but he refused to leave. So she left and stayed with friends. Relationship on and off and on and off again, but never for more than a week or two before he started his old game plan again.
Anyway he moved out of the house and then decided that he would move back in again because 'it's half mine'!

I was there, he woke the baby in middle of night banging about in spare room (getting ready to leave to watch world cup) she was mad, went to get baby and shouted at him for waking baby. End Result, he hit her AGAIN, I called police, he left to watch match, before they arrive.
Statements are taken. Mediation was booked for Tuesday and now AVO issued with court scheduled for today Tuesday's mediation.... he says he want baby to stay in Aus until he's 18 and accused BFF of not putting through PR app to prevent this.... (possibly true). Then today went to court and pleaded NOT GUILTY to charge despite admitting to police that he DID hit her.

So question is.... Would it be legal for her to resign from job, have visa cancelled (his too) and leave country, forcing him back to the UK as well. There's no order for baby to stay at the moment would it be legal for her to leave NOW and should she before she's trapped her for an eternity????

We're clear about the property, thankfully, but it seems to me that his aim is to make her as miserable as possible.
Your friend really does need professional help. Either direct her to one of the agents mentioned in one of Moneypenny's posts or have her speak to one of the free immigration advice organisations in this post.

Hope she gets it all sorted out in the end.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I so, so wish I could help you with this one, but I really have no idea about the visa side of things

It doesn't matter if he does accuse your friend of not putting him on the application...she has evidence of his violence towards her & it's her visa - why on earth would she include him???

Definitely get hold of someone like George Lombard asap, as I am sure there are ways & means of getting this guy's visa cancelled, especially since he now has a "record".

Very best wishes to your friend
With all due respect, he doesn't have a "record". He has not been convicted of a crime, so therefore is still innocent in the eyes of the law and DIAC.

The OP's friend needs to contact a reputable agent who can help her sort the visa situation.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:37 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
With all due respect, he doesn't have a "record". He has not been convicted of a crime, so therefore is still innocent in the eyes of the law and DIAC.

The OP's friend needs to contact a reputable agent who can help her sort the visa situation.
That's probably true..I guess I meant "record" in terms of having had the Police called out & that he had admitted the assault to them.

I hope the lady gets advice soon
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Section 78 of the Migration Act ... baby gets visas from both parents, normally.

But do get some professional assistance.