update and an urgent question

Old Feb 13th 2001, 2:20 pm
PolloDiablo

Hi,

We have arrived safely and are currently looking for a job. If you would like to read
about what we went through to get the visa and what we've been doing in NZ so far check
http://www.zovenaar.f2s.com.

There are quite a lot of job ads in the newspaper that suit my experience and
qualifications. However, as soon as I mention I have a 6 month workvisa and will be issued
a full PR visa upon getting a job offer, the prospect employer invariably backs out. I
have explained it's really a very simple procedure and all they have to do is confirm
their joboffer, but it seems they don't want to do that. My question is: do I have to tell
the employer? Will they be contacted by NZIS? Usually the employer just asks if I'm
eligible to work in NZ which I am (I have a workvisa). What if I don't tell them it's
temporary and send the joboffer to NZIS? Can I be issued a PR visa without the employer
knowing I didn't have one before I applied for a job with them (I'd 'fess up after signing
the contract ofcourse).

Thanks in advance, PolloDiablo

We have very limited newsgroup access because our ISP's newsserver is malfunctioning, it
only updates once a week or so, please send any replies to [email protected] Sorry
about not being able to maintain the FAQ.

Old Mar 16th 2001, 10:00 pm
Karl Johnson

Hi My husband has just been over to NZ (works in IT) to look at jobs. The first
question was always to confirm he had NZ PR. Luckily for him it is automatic as he is
now an Australian PR, so he had no problems and starts a great job next week (offered
almost as soon as he left the interview, and a second offer at the end of an
interview), so it seems getting the job is easy, but our impression is that they
don't want to have to deal with immigration at all.

New Zealand also seems to be much more accepting of foreign experience than Oz. If
you can get around the visa mentioning, I'm sure you will be successful, but I know
that my husband did actually show his passport to his new employers to confirm his
residency status- I'm not sure as to the rules regarding this

Hope it works out for you Jean

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 17th 2001, 5:35 am
PolloDiablo

<snip about employers not willing to hire people on temp working visa>

[usenetquote2]> > My question is: do I have to tell the employer? Will they be contacted by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > NZIS? Usually the employer just asks if I'm eligible to work in NZ which I am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (I have a workvisa). What if I don't tell them it's temporary and send the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > joboffer to NZIS?[/usenetquote2]

Karl Johnson wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That was our impression, too. There was a newspaper story about an Indian couple with
excellent qualifications and experience, but they weren't ever being invited to an
interview. They lived in a bare house, slept on the floor. All they had was a
computer to write job applications with. Now their savings account is empty and they
are returning to India very disappointed.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It did, I have found a job. The employer did ask and I was honest in telling I did
not have PR but would get one once I got a job offer. He was so enthusiastic about my
qualifications and experience that he decided to go ahead with it anyway. He has
never before helped someone get a PR but is happy to help me.

PolloDiablo