Unsure of where to start!

Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure of where to start!

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Absolute rubbish. If an engineer is without work in the eastern states during the current infrastructure boom then the problem is with the engineer, not the economy.

Why do you continually put your struggles in Perth as an Australia wide issue?

I am a bit confused (not very hard lol) If an engineer was looking and applying for work and that said engineer could not find work not from lack of trying but because there are say 100's of other people applying for that type of work then surely that is down to either the economy or that there is a huge over skill in engineers? My DH is working in Africa at the moment and he said he has never worked with so many Australians since leaving Aus and all have said it is because of lack of work in their areas of expertise, saying that there are also a lot of Irish, Spanish and Italians as well on site...my DH for the first time is the only English guy currently on site for his company lol.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
I am a bit confused (not very hard lol) If an engineer was looking and applying for work and that said engineer could not find work not from lack of trying but because there are say 100's of other people applying for that type of work then surely that is down to either the economy or that there is a huge over skill in engineers? My DH is working in Africa at the moment and he said he has never worked with so many Australians since leaving Aus and all have said it is because of lack of work in their areas of expertise, saying that there are also a lot of Irish, Spanish and Italians as well on site...my DH for the first time is the only English guy currently on site for his company lol.
Do differentiate between activities (or lack there of) on the west coast and the activities (the abundance of) on the east coast before you make sweeping assumtions about a whole continent.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:54 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Ward1980, are you eligible for a visa, and have you used the points calculator? If not - there is no point speculating on where you are going to live and whether to buy or rent.

Securing the visa is where you start.

It is not a quick process and for some people it takes years. The sooner you start, the better. If you haven't started yet - your 17 year old and quite possibly your 15 year old will have graduated high school by the time this comes to fruition and you actually get here.
Years? The days of visa decisions for skilled trades taking years is gone. Think 6-8 months total now.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do differentiate between activities (or lack there of) on the west coast and the activities (the abundance of) on the east coast before you make sweeping assumtions about a whole continent.

It must be harder than it was in the "boom" times for a lot of Engineers who were working in the "fly in fly out" projects no matter which part of Australia you lived as a lot of those projects have either been completed are on hold or not starting for a while, those said Engineers of whom where many are surely be applying for work where they can, even in the Eastern States of Australia there must surely be more now applying for "local" work than in the past? The Australians who are currently working on the same project as my DH are from Victoria and NSW, as I did mention this is not just an Australian "thing" a lot of countries in Europe are having workers look further afield than they might of in the past, this will change in time as it has in the past.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
It must be harder than it was in the "boom" times for a lot of Engineers who were working in the "fly in fly out" projects no matter which part of Australia you lived as a lot of those projects have either been completed are on hold or not starting for a while, those said Engineers of whom where many are surely be applying for work where they can, even in the Eastern States of Australia there must surely be more now applying for "local" work than in the past? The Australians who are currently working on the same project as my DH are from Victoria and NSW, as I did mention this is not just an Australian "thing" a lot of countries in Europe are having workers look further afield than they might of in the past, this will change in time as it has in the past.
Perth is a very transient city and many end up in Perth for the boom time salaries. Not just because its a job. Its also recources based.

If you don't give a hoot about working in mining, oil & gas, etc there's plenty of work in a wide variety of engineering sectors.

http://www.engineeringjobs.com.au/engineering-industry-salary-information
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth is a very transient city and many end up in Perth for the boom time salaries. Not just because its a job. Its also recources based.

If you don't give a hoot about working in mining, oil & gas, etc there's plenty of work in a wide variety of engineering sectors.

Engineering Jobs Australia
I know about Perth, we knew of a few people who did work in the Natural Resources industry etc but the majority of our friends worked in Perth and the suburbs, some of the work was indirectly linked to the natural resource boom which naturally happens but you must know that a heck of a lot Easterner's worked in the WA's north west, they did come for the money but also a lot said there was not that type of work in their own states, some still did fly in fly out from East to West but quite a few moved their families over, my DH close friend (from Sydney) said he would not of moved his family over to WA if he could of found his type of work in his State (he is now currently in the UAE...and loving it my the sounds of it). Agencies all over the globe advertise jobs but it does not always mean they are "actually real", they might be "just gathering candidates" for up and coming projects or keeping names of files....how do I know this? well my friends daughter is actually doing that job as we speak in Victoria.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 12:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved this to the Immi Forum. All relevant information can be found here. Let's try not to get personal or take the thread off topic please and thank you.