Wikiposts

Unregistered advice - dangerous!!

Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:27 am
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all
Smile Re: Unregistered advice - dangerous!!

Hi Buzzy Bee
In the beginning a person contacted me privately because their very future was in the balance based on ill-advice gathered from non-migration agents in this forum. They have showed me advice that they had been provided in this forum by someone who was trying to help them but, unfortunately that person, through their inexperience and lack of knowledge, gave them incorrect advice on studying and incorrect advice on the visa outcomes open to them in the future. The person has actually already paid out money and is just so thankful that I was around to help them out of the visa-pit they were about to jump into. Their future was about to be completely ruined and they were about to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to essentially get nowhere. Please consider how it is that I may have happened across this forum in the first place.
I know that I am not making friends with a lot of people in this forum. I guess I am not here to make friends. Sometimes I think you have to be cruel to be kind. I am happy to lose face on this forum if it means that visa applicants get the right advice, something that they deserve.
I will take your suggestion and have a look at how George and Alan post on this forum. I have never been very good at emulating other's people's methods but I will give it a shot.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:35 am
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all

Hi Chris and Farideh
Sorry to hear that. Maybe I have struck a raw nerve with you.
You win some, you lose some. I'm happy with that.
If I was the last agent standing then I would not need referrals.
Liana
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unregistered advice - dangerous!!

Originally Posted by LIANA J ALLAN
Hi Chris and Farideh
Sorry to hear that. Maybe I have struck a raw nerve with you.
You win some, you lose some. I'm happy with that.
If I was the last agent standing then I would not need referrals.
Liana
I dont need the like of you to get me visa, as we never had to use agent to come to Australia.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Buzzy Bee
In the beginning a person contacted me privately because their very future was in the balance based on ill-advice gathered from non-migration agents in this forum. They have showed me advice that they had been provided in this forum by someone who was trying to help them but, unfortunately that person, through their inexperience and lack of knowledge, gave them incorrect advice on studying and incorrect advice on the visa outcomes open to them in the future. The person has actually already paid out money and is just so thankful that I was around to help them out of the visa-pit they were about to jump into. Their future was about to be completely ruined and they were about to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to essentially get nowhere. Please consider how it is that I may have happened across this forum in the first place.

Liana
Perhaps I could respectfully suggest that if you see what you believe to be incorrect advice being posted, feel free to correct it.

And if you think someone is touting for business as an unregistered migration agent then feel free to bring it to the attention of moderators.

If you spend time on the forum you will see that most of the information given by more experienced members (agents or otherwise) is fairly generic - along the lines of read XXX booklet, look at form 111 or contact YYY agent. And that does not constitute immigration assistance by any reasonable definition of the term.

As George says some people do give well meaning (but wrong) advice but that is almost universally corrected by experienced members.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:45 am
Banned

Chris
Well done. Maybe spare a thought for those people who are currently having their matters heard in the federal court and high court of Australia. They are desperate to get in. Their cases are not straight forward and they have been using an agent since the very beginning, DIAC, MRT, Minister etc. They have spent thousands of dollars on solicitors and barristers. These are the people that really need an agent. I am pleased for you that you managed to do it yourselves. Not everyone has the same set of circumstances or good fortune. Congratulations.
Liana
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Chris
Well done. Maybe spare a thought for those people who are currently having their matters heard in the federal court and high court of Australia. They are desperate to get in. Their cases are not straight forward and they have been using an agent since the very beginning, DIAC, MRT, Minister etc. They have spent thousands of dollars on solicitors and barristers. These are the people that really need an agent. I am pleased for you that you managed to do it yourselves. Not everyone has the same set of circumstances or good fortune. Congratulations.
Liana
funny, you thought it was Chris, I take that as insult.

F
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

EXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Probably not the first

Your posting did not sit very well with the entire ethos of this forum, a free forum for everybody going through the Australian immigration process to share their mutual experiences.

That is not in question

It is also the advice of posters on this forum that causes many applications to succeed. Incidentally, I am not aware of a single immigration application that has failed as a result of an applicant taking advice from this forum.

It's not the truth (see above).

There is no system in place for you to charge for advice through this forum anyway.

I am yet to be convinced of that. I recommend you review the way that posters such as George Lombard and Alan Collett present themselves on the forum. Emulating their posting style would cause you to alienate less of us. Commencing sensationalist threads of the nature of this one doesn't do you any favours either.

Buzzy
Having only this morning found the ex-pats site (oH Thank you, God) and shared all of your comments and rants I feel a little more confident in sitting out the processing of our application - Lodged Temporary/Permanent Spouse Visa March 2007 onshore.
Not only DIAC is in dire straits. Despite paying rather a large amount of dosh to one of the agents absolutely NOTHING has ever been carried out by them.

I have talked to DIAC once myself despite the dire warnings of my AGENT (who warned me that my file would immediately go to the bottom of the mountain) to see if my son and I might be allowed to work. This is due to extreme financial hardship from over 8 mths of waiting with no ability to work.WHILE waiting for the assessment to be made we are currently still on an 820B . I explained that my spouse/new husband had recently undergone emergency surgery for cancer and we now have astronomical medical fees.

No-one in the agency suggested Form 1005 (changes to conditions of Bridging Visa) - which DIAC promptly lost for 7 weeks. Previously they had lost my two children's medicals (advised by my agent to have done in the UK and sent via Australia House to Sydney). And yes, to a previous poster - it is FAR FAR CHEAPER in Australia. The Health Centre we were sent to here in Sydney was not so different from Dunkirk or the Fall of Saigon (this we attended in September) with the poor staff massively fighting with every nation and tongue - 90% I was told asking non-medical information.

DIAC appeared not to know that the agent had requested PRIORITY due to my husband's condition. "So?" - was the response.The same again for the missing and twice paid for medicals.

I have learned that there is a site:austimeline.com I never knew about.Also that the officers have certain duties. Also that it is VITAL to have an "assertive agent". That it can mean a successful or failed application.

It is one thing having the wrong advice. I think it is almost as dangerous (and particularly disheartening when one is feeling extremely vulnerable) to have NO ADVICE or ANY action one's behalf. And I cannot tell you how galling it is looking at their bill.

Thank you all of you in your different way.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:01 pm
Banned

Hi Exit16
You poor thing!!
If you believe that your agent has not done any work for the money that you have paid them (or very little) then you can contact the MARA www.themara.com.au and make a complaint. You can download the complaint form from their website.
It is important that your agent acts in your best interests every step of the way.
Liana
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:34 pm
Banned

Hi Exit 16
Sorry, I forgot to add a couple of things which may help you draft your complaint:
Here are some tips for making your complaint:
1/ Be 100% sure that 'no work has been done' before stating that to the MARA. Agents are required by law to make file notes of work done, phonecalls and emails. Please be sure that the agent will have no evidence of work done on your case.
2/ Is there any reason why your agent would have wanted your son not to work? For example, how old is he? Work rights for people over the age of 18 years may lead to a show of non-dependancy (for example).
3/ Perhaps there was a reason that your agent did not want your son to work. Could that be the case or am I just stabbing in the dark? Best to cover yourself if you put this one to the MARA.
4/ Were you in the UK at the time that you completed your medicals? Was your plan always to apply for an onshore partner visa? The agent may have had a reason for you to apply for your medicals in the UK at that time.
5/ What service was included in the service agreement that you signed and which services were not provided? This will give you the basic grounds for your complaint.
6/ When you look at the bill of your migration agent please compare this to the average charges of a migration agent. These are listed on the MARA website www.themara.com.au. If your bill is much larger than the average fees then you can note this in your complaint.
7/ Show that you have tried to resolve the complaint with the agent first. Are they aware that you are dissatisfied?
Covering these points will help you to help the MARA understand your complaint reasonings.
I hope that this is helpful.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

In the beginning a person contacted me privately because their very future was in the balance based on ill-advice gathered from non-migration agents in this forum. They have showed me advice that they had been provided in this forum by someone who was trying to help them but, unfortunately that person, through their inexperience and lack of knowledge, gave them incorrect advice on studying and incorrect advice on the visa outcomes open to them in the future.
Any person, who takes information given by one person on an immigration forum, without getting follow up opinions form trusted users, *plus* verification from an official source, is an idiot. It's that simple. That is a very good reason for people to read more than they post and for people to not ask or receive immigration advice in private message or email. When it is out on the boards, it can be corrected.
Any person who does not research their immigration thoroughly before sending off scads of money or making commitments halfway round the world, is asking for trouble.

If someone has direct, individual questions about their own case, they should get the answers from a paid professional if they can't figure it out on their own.
If that person asks the question on a public discussion group, they should know they are likely to get what they paid for. That doesn't detract from the personal experiences of others; one does need to know when to apply 'experience' vs 'paid help'.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:38 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EXIT16
Having only this morning found the ex-pats site (oH Thank you, God) and shared all of your comments and rants I feel a little more confident in sitting out the processing of our application - Lodged Temporary/Permanent Spouse Visa March 2007 onshore.
Not only DIAC is in dire straits. Despite paying rather a large amount of dosh to one of the agents absolutely NOTHING has ever been carried out by them.

I have talked to DIAC once myself despite the dire warnings of my AGENT (who warned me that my file would immediately go to the bottom of the mountain) to see if my son and I might be allowed to work. This is due to extreme financial hardship from over 8 mths of waiting with no ability to work.WHILE waiting for the assessment to be made we are currently still on an 820B . I explained that my spouse/new husband had recently undergone emergency surgery for cancer and we now have astronomical medical fees.

No-one in the agency suggested Form 1005 (changes to conditions of Bridging Visa) - which DIAC promptly lost for 7 weeks. Previously they had lost my two children's medicals (advised by my agent to have done in the UK and sent via Australia House to Sydney). And yes, to a previous poster - it is FAR FAR CHEAPER in Australia. The Health Centre we were sent to here in Sydney was not so different from Dunkirk or the Fall of Saigon (this we attended in September) with the poor staff massively fighting with every nation and tongue - 90% I was told asking non-medical information.

DIAC appeared not to know that the agent had requested PRIORITY due to my husband's condition. "So?" - was the response.The same again for the missing and twice paid for medicals.

I have learned that there is a site:austimeline.com I never knew about.Also that the officers have certain duties. Also that it is VITAL to have an "assertive agent". That it can mean a successful or failed application.

It is one thing having the wrong advice. I think it is almost as dangerous (and particularly disheartening when one is feeling extremely vulnerable) to have NO ADVICE or ANY action one's behalf. And I cannot tell you how galling it is looking at their bill.

Thank you all of you in your different way.
Hi Exit16,

It's very difficult to comment without knowing all the facts but generally an onshore spouse visa is granted in Sydney within 1-3 months and can be granted more or less instantaneously if you've had the foresight to make an appointment with residence at the Lee St office, so irrespective of the abilities of your agent it sounds as though there are some problems with the application.

Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion of course, please feel free to call me on 97990085.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 10th 2007, 3:11 pm
Banned

Hi George
Good idea. I think it would be good for Exit 16 to obtain a second opinion from George.
Liana
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:39 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

I think if one followed this forum over time it would be generally pretty clear that George et al are MARA agents who give good advice, people can compare, research etc.

Knowing this I am not sure what the reason is for sudden warnings when direct clarification of any incorrect advice would be better, privately or publicly.

I am aware from e.g. student visa advice from some MARA agents not on this fourm is wildly inaccurate. As a good MARA agent told me once it would be good if MARA and DIAC actually evaluated the ongoing knowledge of MARA agents over time via interview etc.. The said agent thinks some or many MARA agents have not learnt much since cramming for their exam.....

Last edited by balkanghost; Dec 11th 2007 at 12:42 am.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:26 am
Just Joined

mistyxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everyone.
Seems I have created a hornets nest. I guess my posting did not sit very well with those people on here that see themselves as quazi-migration advisers or people who wish to offer unregistered advice from offshore so as to avoid being regulated by Australian laws. I am a straight shooter and an avid defender and advocator of migration agents and the migration agent's code of conduct. This is in the best interests of the visa applicant, the person who relies upon advice (large and small snippets) which will affect their future. It is usually the small pieces of reckless advice by ill-informed do-gooders which causes applications to fail. Whilst this might not be what people want to hear, it is the truth and something that I believe applicants should be aware of.
From now on, as a show of my integrity good faith to the migration agent profession, I am happy to refer people to George Lombard and Alan Collet (and other registered agents on this forum). This way, my postings will not be seen as 'drumming up business'. Please be aware that not once have I ever charged anyone for any advice given in or out of this forum. I am sure members who have come in contact with me through this forum will vouch for this.
I guess my stance is that I work in the best interest of migration agents and in the best interest of the visa applicant.
Please note that I am not an accredited specialist at immigration law. I know fellow migration agents who are. They are like walking immigration encyclopaedias and I go to them for second opionions on difficult matters.

I think you have been misinterpreted I my self was wondering what you meant at first but i understand were you are coming from now.
may be you should have phased your heading a little better like aiming it towards unregistered agents trying to make a quick buck and not caring for the clients they are representing.

I'm glad there is some one out there who is watching closely so to stop these type of people and hope fully this thread will do what you aimed it to do

for the most part on BE I see well meaning people offer advice and support to people going through the same situation there are the odd fools you want to offend and incite arguments but they are usually shot down and make a hasty retreat. so i hope this site last for a long time as i have found it invaluable in the visa process. hopefully better now we have some one watching and keeping money grabbers away.

Misty

Last edited by mistyxx; Dec 11th 2007 at 1:31 am.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:19 am
Just Joined

EXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant futureEXIT16 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Exit16,

It's very difficult to comment without knowing all the facts but generally an onshore spouse visa is granted in Sydney within 1-3 months and can be granted more or less instantaneously if you've had the foresight to make an appointment with residence at the Lee St office, so irrespective of the abilities of your agent it sounds as though there are some problems with the application.

Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion of course, please feel free to call me on 97990085.

Cheers,

George Lombard
This is what is great about a forum - the variety and breadth of information, from subjective to objective. I have drawn some averages if information has conflicted and not been drawn by too impassioned posting.If you have paid a qualified professional to advise you, you assume the answer will be correct (to a certain expected degree). However, finding out later it was not, who do you trust to ask again, and how do you find out unless by seeking others' experiences? In the case of Immigration being in conflict, say, with what your agent might tell you? Presumably we research the lengthy and life changing process of such an application, and in most of this there is a strong bias (by the government web site)towards using an agent. We assured throughout that one false move and the whole thing will be rejected.Therefore, I MUST HAVE AN AGENT AS WE WILL NEVER GET THROUGH THIS IN ONE PIECE! becomes the driving influence. It really is terrific now to read of all those who have persisted quietly and steadily on their own. HATS OFF TO YOU ALL.Will just keep reading - its fascinating and keeps the scariness of this all at bay. Also seeking work at totally the wrong time of the year!!!!!

"BUT IT'S ALL GOOD" - as my new Aussie friends all say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.