University Lecturers and Skill Assessment

Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation University Lecturers and Skill Assessment

Hi folks,
Does anyone have any idea regarding the society in charge for university lecturers skill assessment. (Area of IT)

Thanks for your comments in advance.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:41 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University Lecturers and Skill Assessment

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any idea regarding the society in charge for university lecturers skill assessment. (Area of IT)

Thanks for your comments in advance.
I am a university lecturer. I got a job with a uni first, and they sponsored me for PR. That is the easiest way to go. But they have to show that they could not recruit from within Australia first.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Shoz,
May I ask what your speciality and experience?

Rgrds,

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I am a university lecturer. I got a job with a uni first, and they sponsored me for PR. That is the easiest way to go. But they have to show that they could not recruit from within Australia first.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:38 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Thank you Shoz,
May I ask what your speciality and experience?

Rgrds,
I work in 'human factors' a vague name for applied cognitive psychologist in my case...sort of. A PhD is pretty much a requirement for most tenured Uni positions.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:42 pm
A Pharma-IT Expert

manmis is an unknown quantity at this point

Le not me feel misguided by the title of the topic.

Let me introduce myself as a Pharmacy Postgraduate from The Maharaja Sayajirao University of baroda, India (Ranked first grade by Australia).

I am presently serving at APMC College of pharmaceutical Education and Research, Himatnagar, India.

I have filed my application for Qualification Assessment with VETASSESS on 15Oct05.

Hope to arrive in Adelaide next year.

can you help me on my doubts?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dear Shoz,
Thank you for information! Hope to see you there.

Dear another friend,
I could not understand what you need exactly.

I work in 'human factors' a vague name for applied cognitive psychologist in my case...sort of. A PhD is pretty much a requirement for most tenured Uni positions.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:10 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Barbi, Shoz,

The reason that Shoz needed to be sponsored by the employer is that university lecturers aren't on the skilled occupation list even though the disciplines they teach might be. This is particularly frustrating for people lecturing in IT as ACS will certainly approve you if your IT work experience is in that capacity.

Note also that since 2 April this year there isn't any scope for labour market testing for employer nominated visas.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi George

Where ACS comes accross IT lecturing at a University and it is the most recent experience, I think they classify as Computing Professionals NEC 2231-79

Although there is the obvious classification of the experience as University Lecturer2421-11 there is nothing against claiming experience comes under more than 1 ASCO coding. Thus a claim that recent experience as a University Lecturer comes under 2231-79, with a successful ACS assessment from the relevant body responsible for the 2231-79 coding, stating that they recognise the recent experience under 2231-79, surely this would make it difficult for DIMIA to classify soley as 2421-11 and refuse the application. ?

Not had practical experience with such a case so one of my assumptions along the way may be wrong.

Tony

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Barbi, Shoz,

The reason that Shoz needed to be sponsored by the employer is that university lecturers aren't on the skilled occupation list even though the disciplines they teach might be. This is particularly frustrating for people lecturing in IT as ACS will certainly approve you if your IT work experience is in that capacity.

Note also that since 2 April this year there isn't any scope for labour market testing for employer nominated visas.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:21 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi George

Where ACS comes accross IT lecturing at a University and it is the most recent experience, I think they classify as Computing Professionals NEC 2231-79

Although there is the obvious classification of the experience as University Lecturer2421-11 there is nothing against claiming experience comes under more than 1 ASCO coding. Thus a claim that recent experience as a University Lecturer comes under 2231-79, with a successful ACS assessment from the relevant body responsible for the 2231-79 coding, stating that they recognise the recent experience under 2231-79, surely this would make it difficult for DIMIA to classify soley as 2421-11 and refuse the application. ?

Not had practical experience with such a case so one of my assumptions along the way may be wrong.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I think you're misinterpreting ASCO, which is an exclusive classification for statistical purposes. In the case of lecturers, sometimes they're doing research in their field for 20 hours a week and you can get them up that way (ie argue they've got a second occupation), otherwise there's no chance. This was a controversial exclusion from SOL from the very beginning and I'd expect all case officers to be aware of it, particularly as lecturers are on the ENSOL. We had a client earlier this year whose first application had failed for this reason.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tony,

I think you're misinterpreting ASCO, which is an exclusive classification for statistical purposes. In the case of lecturers, sometimes they're doing research in their field for 20 hours a week and you can get them up that way (ie argue they've got a second occupation), otherwise there's no chance. This was a controversial exclusion from SOL from the very beginning and I'd expect all case officers to be aware of it, particularly as lecturers are on the ENSOL. We had a client earlier this year whose first application had failed for this reason.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

I was specifically thinking of IT lecturers, who have had their lecturing experience assessed as relevant IT experience for the purposes of a specific skills assessment for the purpose of migration to Australia and where the ACS have classified that experience as 2231-79 (Computing Professionals NEC) after being Gazetted by DIMIA as the Relevant Assessing body for that ASCO code.

Anyway, as I said I had not actually handled such a case so I'll get in touch with the DIMIA policy makers in Central Office and get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. I will post when I get something.

Tony
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:48 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi George

I was specifically thinking of IT lecturers, who have had their lecturing experience assessed as relevant IT experience for the purposes of a specific skills assessment for the purpose of migration to Australia and where the ACS have classified that experience as 2231-79 (Computing Professionals NEC) after being Gazetted by DIMIA as the Relevant Assessing body for that ASCO code.

Anyway, as I said I had not actually handled such a case so I'll get in touch with the DIMIA policy makers in Central Office and get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. I will post when I get something.

Tony
Hi Tony,

You'll be following a well-trodden route, this has been raised by the MIA at senior levels in the past. There's no doubt about them deliberately excluding all university lecturers under the SOL and I don't think the discipline makes a difference. If Central Office tells you different please give me the name of the officer as they'll have some explaining to do for our client, who wasted a lot of money doing his own first application.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

OK

We'll see what they say. Did the ACS approval for your client state that the period as University Lecturer was recognised for their assessment and also give the coding of Computing Professional NEC, assuming University Lecturer was their last/current position ?

Hi Tony,

You'll be following a well-trodden route, this has been raised by the MIA at senior levels in the past. There's no doubt about them deliberately excluding all university lecturers under the SOL and I don't think the discipline makes a difference. If Central Office tells you different please give me the name of the officer as they'll have some explaining to do for our client, who wasted a lot of money doing his own first application.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tony,

Cheers,

George Lombard

George

I just sent off the Email to Central Office and then searched the MIA forum and found a couple of threads. Looks like DIMIA have sorted this one - here is a response to the very question from Central Office dated late July 2005 - I will pm you the DIMIA officer's name:

"The current procedures advice manual (PAM) provides that work as a
University lecturer cannot be regarded as skilled work experience as
University Lecturer (ASCO 2421-11) is NOT on the SOL.

However from 1 November 2005, the PAM will be amended to reflect change to the above policy. This will mean that provided a person is undertaking
work in a skilled occupation that is on the SOL, this will be acceptable
for Skilled Migration purposes. Therefore, a person's nominated occupation
can be Computing Professional nec ( on the basis that they are an ICT
lecturer) and their skilled work experience can be as an IT lecturer on the
basis that this is skilled work experience as a computing professional nec.

Due to the delay in publishing the PAM, this policy will take effect from 1
August 2005.

Thank you for your query."

Regards

Tony
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:12 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Hi Tony,

Yes, I saw Katherine's message but I don't know if the change she mentioned was actually included in the PAMS so I've emailed her for confirmation.

Interestingly, in the MIA forums I found a particularly pertinent post by an Anthony Coates - I think you and he might have more than a little in common.

Anyway, Mr Coates said the following:

"I assume your client is lecturing at a University in which case it would be hard to argue Calssification under 2231-79. The ACS assessment will probably not help as the ACS may not assess the Lecturing experience as Recognised Skilled IT Experience as they list the periods of recognised experience in their assessment approval.

ICT Lecturing outside of Universities would be easier classified as Vocational Education Teachers 2422-11 and likely to be considered as closely related to any nominated occupation where the ACS is the relevant asessing body. However, any experience requirement of ACS may have to be met through other IT experience than lecturing/teaching."

So I guess the question now is whether Katherine managed to get the change into the PAM or not :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tony,

Yes, I saw Katherine's message but I don't know if the change she mentioned was actually included in the PAMS so I've emailed her for confirmation.

Interestingly, in the MIA forums I found a particularly pertinent post by an Anthony Coates - I think you and he might have more than a little in common.

Anyway, Mr Coates said the following:

"I assume your client is lecturing at a University in which case it would be hard to argue Calssification under 2231-79. The ACS assessment will probably not help as the ACS may not assess the Lecturing experience as Recognised Skilled IT Experience as they list the periods of recognised experience in their assessment approval.

ICT Lecturing outside of Universities would be easier classified as Vocational Education Teachers 2422-11 and likely to be considered as closely related to any nominated occupation where the ACS is the relevant asessing body. However, any experience requirement of ACS may have to be met through other IT experience than lecturing/teaching."

So I guess the question now is whether Katherine managed to get the change into the PAM or not :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

Yes, we have common DNA, but that's all. That post was from over a year ago and reflected the policy of DIMIA at that time.

Whether it is in the PAMS or not, it is DIMIA policy from 01 August 2005. End of story.

Tony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.