British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   A UK SPARKY ( ELECTRICIAN) NEEDS AN OZ JOB!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/uk-sparky-electrician-needs-oz-job-581528/)

aselectrical1973 Jan 3rd 2009 2:01 pm

A UK SPARKY ( ELECTRICIAN) NEEDS AN OZ JOB!!

Hi,
I live with my wife and our children in Bristol, UK. I have been in the electrical trade since leaving college in 1992!

I have my own business at present but have been wanting for some time to move to Australia.

Friends of ours emigrated in October 2008, to Little Mountain, Caloundra and have said they made the right move.

I am now trying to find out how I can get the " BALL ROLLING" & ideally a work sponsor ( though I hear these are not always easy to get). Are there any websites out there that show Australian sponsors and what they are actually looking for? Or, somewhere where i can put my details down etc & Australian employers look at ?

Any help/advice would be extremely grateful! :thumbsup:

Many thanks

Andy

tony3030 Jan 13th 2009 8:24 am

Re: A UK SPARKY ( ELECTRICIAN) NEEDS AN OZ JOB!!

Originally Posted by aselectrical1973 (Post 7122351)
Hi,
I live with my wife and our children in Bristol, UK. I have been in the electrical trade since leaving college in 1992!

I have my own business at present but have been wanting for some time to move to Australia.

Friends of ours emigrated in October 2008, to Little Mountain, Caloundra and have said they made the right move.

I am now trying to find out how I can get the " BALL ROLLING" & ideally a work sponsor ( though I hear these are not always easy to get). Are there any websites out there that show Australian sponsors and what they are actually looking for? Or, somewhere where i can put my details down etc & Australian employers look at ?

Many thanks

Andy

hows it going mate, i think you can post a cv on skills2oz.com they deal with poms who want to move. but its a long road to getting a license (in nsw anyway). basically:

1)as many refs as possible
2)alot of evidence of your own buisness
3)when you get here you HAVE to go back to college for about a year and take about 5/6 corses.
4)and a bit of other bullshit

dont want to put you off but i never found this out till i got here, let me know if u need more info.

The_Pom_From_Aus Jan 14th 2009 8:00 pm

aselectrical1973;

Tony3030, is correct when he says its a long rd, its as simple as that.

from the UK you make your application, i would recommend ARTC its easier in the long run i can explain why if you like, or you apply to the new training agency Vatassess this is new & a nightmare for people, there are things that are NOT clear for applicants.

when you do the ARTC application make sure your applying for the Electrical Mechanic NOT the electrical Fitter, the latter one can or may be classed as a Restricted electrician meaning you may not be allowed to work on any 1 or 3 phase gear at all some states may only allow you to do Panel wiring some also may not allow you to actually sit the A class license. So Mechanic is the one to go for if you need help how to apply to convince the people which certificate they give you then PM me on here.

Nozzys Jan 15th 2009 6:46 am

Hi Mate, I have lived in brisbane now for 15 months, and found work as a spark in three weeks.....But things have changed, the other guys are right getting your licence is a ball ache budget about $2000 dollars for courses exam etc and a minimum time frame of 6 months(dependant on where u do it) sparkies are finmding it tough here at moment th company i work for has layed off guys and we get about a dozen sparkies a week chasing jobs as well as agencies! i wrote to companies from uk, rang and emailed but none were intersted til i got here, the agencies werent intersted til i got a licence!.I dont want to put you off just giving you cold hard facts of how i see it in Brissy area. If you need further help please dont hesitate to contact me.
good luck
Steve.

Originally Posted by aselectrical1973 (Post 7122351)
Hi,

Many thanks

Andy

Les Mighalls Jan 17th 2009 10:36 am

I did a quick search on seek.com.au and came up with 1169 jobs for sparkies.

Best to use the keyword of 'electrician' though. :p

http://seek.com.au/jobsearch/index.a...archfrom=quick