Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

UK passport holders - use of SmartGate to enter Australia

UK passport holders - use of SmartGate to enter Australia

Old May 11th 2014, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK passport holders - use of SmartGate to enter Australia

Hi,

Has anyone else seen this announcement from the Assistant Minister for Immigation and Border Protection, Michaelia Cash last week?

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...4/mc214147.htm

Hidden in the text, it mentions that US passport holders will join UK and NZ passport holders in permanent eligiblity to use the SmartGate system to enter Australia.

Minister Cash also took the opportunity at the WCO IT Conference to announce that SmartGate use will be permanently extended to all eligible US citizens arriving at any one of Australia's eight major international airports.

In November 2012, Customs and Border Protection began a trial allowing US ePassport holders to use SmartGate when arriving at one of Australia's eight major international airports.

'Today, the US will become the third nation to be granted permanent eligibility to use SmartGate, along with New Zealand and the UK,' Minister Cash said.

'This is a fantastic, tangible outcome in managing traveller growth across Australia's eight major international airports. No doubt, travellers into Australia will be pleased to face shorter queues at our airports.'
unquote

This must have passed me by, as I have dutifully queued up with the throng of people in the 'rest of the world' queue several times upon arrival at Melbourne.

Does anyone else have experience of using the SmartGate system to enter Australia on a British passport?
Old May 11th 2014, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport holders - use of SmartGate to enter Australia

Was hoping to last trip but DD is under 16 so need to queue with her
Old May 11th 2014, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I had noticed that UK had been added to one of the queues at Sydney airport last couple of trips in march and April. Didn't make any difference to anything.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:43 pm
uk soon to be in oz

deanoleeds is an unknown quantity at this point

i used it in november when i was there, got through customs in no time and well before everyone else off my plane.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know this however I didn't have a ePassport last time I went to Australia. I'm about to renew my passport so I'll give it a whirl next time. Apparently the Swiss can use it too

https://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-s...1smartgate.htm

Who can use SmartGate?
To be eligible to use SmartGate you must be 16 years or older and hold a valid ePassport from one of the following countries:

Australia (this does not apply to Australian citizens travelling on military orders)
New Zealand (this does not apply to New Zealand citizens travelling on military orders)
United States of America (Global Entry Program members)
United Kingdom
Switzerland.