Uk passport/Australian citizen

Old Mar 23rd 2019, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Uk passport/Australian citizen

As stated I have a UK passport good for a few years yet. Been a Citizen since 2014. Got RRVs years ago which are probably run out for travel now. Is it recommended I get an OZ passport to get back in hassle free or is the system sharp enough to put two and two together, see I’m a citizen and let me through on the UK passport. Never been questioned last time 2017. But the RRV May have still been current then. Experiences anyone?
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport/Australian citizen

Any visa you had was cancelled when you became a citizen, including any RRV. Australian Citizens are required to use an Australian passport to travel in and out of Australia. You should get an Australian passport.

The main issue you will have without one is that airlines will not let you board a plane to Australia without either a visa or an Australian passport, as you have neither they can refuse to fly you. This is because they can be fined and required to take unauthorised passengers back.

Of course as a citizen you you should not be refused entry but the airlines can still refuse to fly you. If you do not have a passport they can verify your status by calling Canberra to check or they may accept a citizenship certificate as proof, but they do not have to do either.

immigration in Australia will also no doubt give you a warning too. Surprised you didn’t have any issues in 2017 though. What airline was it and from which country?

Just get a passport and save yourself the hassle. We have both passports and sometimes it can help. We are travelling to India later in the year and the visa is cheaper with our Australian passport than the uk one.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I thought the only reason we didn’t have issues was that we had relevant RRVs and were citizens. Basically we have travelled twice as such without as much as a raised eyebrow. With Qantas and Emirates. For the cost I may as well cover my arse as they say. But thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn’t have had RRVs anymore I guess you were lucky. It happens, people show relatives or out of date passports and don’t get stopped. But as you say not worth the risk of missing a flight.

Although the Aussie passport was more expensive and more hassle than renewing our UK one from overseas......go figure
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot have an RRV and be a citizen. If you were a citizen in 2017, then you did not have an RRV. Australian citizens cannot have an Australian visa.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Sorry. I was not making the point,I had an RRV. It was just we had to get them previously as we travelled before citizenship but as they last five years I assumed they were in action after citizenship. Should have realised they meant nothing after gaining citizenship. And then being a citizen I thought that when they looked up my passport it told them as much.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:12 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge View Post
Sorry. I was not making the point,I had an RRV. It was just we had to get them previously as we travelled before citizenship but as they last five years I assumed they were in action after citizenship. Should have realised they meant nothing after gaining citizenship. And then being a citizen I thought that when they looked up my passport it told them as much.
Sounds like you are one of the cases where the immigration computer system has not uodated correctly. It happens, we've had a couple of other posters over the years with similar situations,

Fact is though that your PR visa and any RRV will have been cancelled on the day of your citizenship ceremony. You need to get an Aussie passport and you need to use that to enter and leave Australia. Even if there has been a computer error eventually you will be refused boarding. Save yourself the trouble and get a passport now,
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 1:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You should've obtained an Australian passport as soon as you became a citizen if you wanted to leave and re-enter Australia as any visa you previously held became null and void in law.

From a practical point of view however, as you have discovered, your RRV isn't actually cancelled on the system and therefore you can travel in and out on your British passport until such time your passport or RRV expires. If your RRV has now expired then you will need an Australian passport to travel as you will be refused boarding on the return flight without one or a valid visa which you will no longer have.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Sounds like you are one of the cases where the immigration computer system has not uodated correctly. It happens, we've had a couple of other posters over the years with similar situations,

Fact is though that your PR visa and any RRV will have been cancelled on the day of your citizenship ceremony. You need to get an Aussie passport and you need to use that to enter and leave Australia. Even if there has been a computer error eventually you will be refused boarding. Save yourself the trouble and get a passport now,

That would explain it. I did think it odd that Emirates or Qantas didn’t pick it up, or border control.
They made it very clear to us in person and in writing that we needed an Australian passport after our citizenship ceremony.