Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

UK Graduate wants to emigrate - What do I need to do

UK Graduate wants to emigrate - What do I need to do

Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

JamesSamson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Graduate wants to emigrate - What do I need to do

Hi

I've just finished a bachelor of science degree in financial computing at a top 50 university in the UK. I obtained a 2.1. Last summer I spent several months travelling throughout Australia and realised how much I'd like to live there permanently.

So is it possible for me to do this and if so how? I don't believe I would qualify for anything on the SOL, so other than a sponsorship from a company over there I'm not sure how I would get in.

Though I have a cousin who works at google in aus, I don't have any immediate family living out there.

I was considering going over there on a student visa and studying a relevant masters (engineering/social science)at a good Australian university to find employment in the mining sector, but this would be costly.

Also there's the option of working for an international organization here in London that has a base in Australia, but this a long and indirect route.

Really appreciate any advice

Many thanks,

James.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Graduate wants to emigrate - What do I need to do

Your options are very limited as a new graduate. As you have identified you are not going to qualify for skilled migration, if you have not already used it then you could go over on a working holiday visa but even then your chances of securing skilled work and then a sponsorship are also low.

I think you need to focus on building a career and revisit this in a few years to be honest. The system is not designed for new grads, but you are young and Australia is not going anywhere.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bermudashorts

Thanks your response.

This is what I was expecting to hear. Shame the only realistic option I have is staying in the uk and building a career here for couple of years before having any chance of emigrating. I'd much rather be living in sunny Perth than london, such a better quality of life there.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesSamson
Hi Bermudashorts

Thanks your response.

This is what I was expecting to hear. Shame the only realistic option I have is staying in the uk and building a career here for couple of years before having any chance of emigrating. I'd much rather be living in sunny Perth than london, such a better quality of life there.
You realise it's 2° here today, right?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bermudashorts

Thanks your response.

Sigh.

Your quality of life is down to you, not the country you happen to be in, not when you are comparing two first world countries anyway.

I have found my quality of life to be much the same on a day to day basis, although the adventure of living in another part of the world has enhanced my life experience. Enjoy every stage of your life, enjoy these next few years whilst you are establishing yourself in the UK and then later come over here and enjoy that too.

I am currently sitting in my house in Sydney and am absolutely freezing too, this house is impossible to warm up!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Haha Dorothy I didn't realise it was that cold. I read somewhere that Perth has 300 days of sunshine compared to the 90 something the uk has. I swear when its sunny I just feel great, like seasonal affected disorder.

Yes Bermudashorts, I understand what you're saying. Quality of life in the UK is technically very high, safety, healthcare etc. But I feel I have exhausted everything the UK has to offer. It's like you said it would be the adventure of living in another part of the world, that would really appeal to me. Did you move out to Australia alone, would you advise it?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Haha Dorothy I didn't realise it was that cold. I read somewhere that Perth has 300 days of sunshine compared to the 90 something the uk has. I swear when its sunny I just feel great, like seasonal affected disorder.

Yes Bermudashorts, I understand what you're saying. Quality of life in the UK is technically very high, safety, healthcare etc. But I feel I have exhausted everything the UK has to offer. It's like you said it would be the adventure of living in another part of the world, that would really appeal to me. Did you move out to Australia alone, would you advise it?

It drops low at night, but daytime winter usually not lower than 10 or 12. Problem is Australian houses don't often have proper heating (or any heating) so it can be cold at night. I disagree with BS on quality of life to a certain degree, but the QOL that a location can give you is still contingent on what you want out of life. If you are genuinely happier in warm sunny places then WA is going to help, but there will be trade offs - distance from family being the main one, plus adapting to a new culture can be hard, etc.

If you are serious then don't let anything stop you. Work out the best way to make this happen, however long and arduous than may be, and work towards it, whether it be employer sponsor, WHV for an adventure, whatever!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calliope
It drops low at night, but daytime winter usually not lower than 10 or 12. Problem is Australian houses don't often have proper heating (or any heating) so it can be cold at night. I disagree with BS on quality of life to a certain degree, but the QOL that a location can give you is still contingent on what you want out of life. If you are genuinely happier in warm sunny places then WA is going to help, but there will be trade offs - distance from family being the main one, plus adapting to a new culture can be hard, etc.

If you are serious then don't let anything stop you. Work out the best way to make this happen, however long and arduous than may be, and work towards it, whether it be employer sponsor, WHV for an adventure, whatever!
I am serious calliope, I want to live in oz. But I'm realistic at the same time, if all the advice is saying it's an unrealistic dream, to try again in a couple of years time, then I can't really pursue it. I was hoping someone would me some advice on how I can make this happen right now. I don't mind long and arduous, I'm a hard worker and I'm willing to try anything.

Last time I was in oz I was there on a WHV and did a couple of weeks working in a gold mining lab. The problem I found was that no one was looking to hire someone on a WHV for anything long term, which could amount to a sponsorship.

Thanks for the post!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 11:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

But I feel I have exhausted everything the UK has to offer.
Good lord, have you? You must be incredibly old. I lived there for over 40 years and didn't even scrape the surface.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good lord, have you? You must be incredibly old. I lived there for over 40 years and didn't even scrape the surface.
I was going to say the same..
Old Jul 10th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mister176 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I was in oz I was there on a WHV and did a couple of weeks working in a gold mining lab. The problem I found was that no one was looking to hire someone on a WHV for anything long term, which could amount to a sponsorship.
A few months ago I was like you keen to come out to Oz asap. Then I got into a relationship and the initial desperation went out of the window, so I just followed the process at leisure. Without knowing, I was granted 176 in under 2 months! So I would say you never know what's just around the corner so always stay open minded.

The UK definitely has MUCH MORE to offer than Aus, that's a FACT. These may be things you don't know how to appreciate right now or have taken for granted but London is one of the best places in the whole wider world to launch a career straight after uni. Opportunities are right on your doorsteps with the right education and aspiration.

My advice would be to get onto a good graduate scheme in London, work your way up for a couple of years at least. Once you have gained the right UK professional qualification, coming out to Aus is only a matter of filling out a few forms and sitting back and letting the Oz goverment do the work for you. The new SkillSelect system should benefit Brits.

Having said that, be mindful of what career/profession you pursue, make sure it is in line with Australia's long term skill shortage/demand. For example, I was planning on joining my cousins in freezing Canada but Accountant was taken off the list of skills in demand by the Canadian government 2 years ago, so I will be heading down to sunny Oz.

Remember no pain no gain and good luck