Wikiposts

UK English graduate- visa prep help

Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Thomas.dave94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK English graduate- visa prep help

Hi there! I'm new here and feel after reading many of your detailed responses that I've been wasting a lot of time banging my head against a brick wall in other forums.

In short, Me and my partner want to move to Australia. I'm nearing the end of my BA Hons English literature and creative writing course at a top UK university. I plan to use this to be a secondary education teacher which I know is on the skilled migrants list.

I'm aware it'd be best for me to complete my PGCE in the UK to avoid further costs.

When can I apply for the skilled migrants visa?

What experience will I need?

I'm fairly confident that I can get a pretty good score on the English competence test, all being well of course.

My partner, we will be married, (same sex), though we have lived together for 3 years still too. What visa will he need? Is he added to my skilled migrants visa?

We were planning to take with us around £10000, what are others' experiences with this, financially?

Any help and advice will be truly appreciated! Thankyou in advance!

Last edited by Thomas.dave94; Feb 14th 2016 at 11:34 am. Reason: Title clarification
Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK English graduate- visa prep help

I would certainly hope a graduate with an English degree can pass a simple literacy test like IELTS.

But I think you are a bit of a way of being eligible for skilled migration, you would need to finish your course, finish PGCE or whatever it is and get some practical work experience before you can apply. I cannot remember how much work experience you would need, but I don't think it is long, a year would I think be fine. If you google teacher skills assessment you can look this up.

There would be no problem adding your partner to your visa application when you are ready.

We probably spent about £30k on the move, but this included shipping furniture and pets, business class flights and a nice city centre serviced apartment for five weeks. I am sure it could be done much more cheaply. On the other hand we had jobs to go to, be aware that teaching jobs are very hard to secure in Australia.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 14th 2016 at 12:34 pm.