Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Old May 14th 2022, 11:46 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 3
Ceebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice or even someone with a similar experience. I’m a biomedical scientist from the UK and I am looking to move to Australia.

I’m of the understanding that the first step really is the IELTS exam, which I’ve done. I got full marks on everything except the writing which I got 7.5 for. I’m really disappointed with it, because I obviously wanted a minimum of 8.0 for additional visa points. That said, if necessary I can do it again and try to gain an extra 0.5. I would ideally like to not have to though.

What I’m struggling to find out is if my AIMS assessment IELTS results has to be the same as that, that I would apply for my visa with. Ie can I submit for a skills assessment with AIMS with the 7.5 writing now and then later down the line redo the IELTS to try and gain additional points for a visa if I manage to get an 8.0, without me having to resubmit for another skills assessment?

I’m also aware that I’ll have to sit the AIMS exam which is a bit daunting, as I’m a blood transfusion scientist. Does anyone know if there is ever exceptions to the rule? Has anyone ever submitted a skills assessment and been told they are qualified to be a medical scientist without the exam having to be sat? I’m secretly crossing my fingers that it might be the case. It’s a long shot, I know!

Following IELTS, AIMS assessment and the AIMS exam, I’m assuming then I will be able to get things moving properly. Is that correct?

Does anyone know how Australian laboratories feel about taking on a UK trained biomedical scientist as a laboratory assistant initially and helping them get through the AIMS exam, then giving them a medical laboratory scientist position once they’ve passed?

I realise this is a long post, so thank you in advance for any help or feedback you provide in relation to this matter.

Thank you!
Ceebs is offline  
Old May 15th 2022, 5:43 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,297
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

You are pretty much all correct, except about ILETS. You need to have it before you submit your expression of interest. You might want to look at doing the PTE test instead as many find it easier.

I am also a big believer in getting a registered migration agent involved as they can be invaluable.
verystormy is offline  
Old May 15th 2022, 6:39 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 3
Ceebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
You are pretty much all correct, except about ILETS. You need to have it before you submit your expression of interest. You might want to look at doing the PTE test instead as many find it easier.

I am also a big believer in getting a registered migration agent involved as they can be invaluable.
Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if I can submit my skills assessment and try improve my IELTS after that, without another assessment from AIMS? I might in the future try one more attempt with the IELTS but if I’m going to have to go for a points tested visa, I’ll probably look into the PTE if I fail to get an 8.0. I did appeal it, as I thought they might be willing to find half a mark, I was wrong.

I’m also presuming I can’t submit an EOI until the exam is successfully passed either?

Cheers!
Ceebs is offline  
Old May 15th 2022, 6:55 am
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 28,072
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Originally Posted by Ceebs View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if I can submit my skills assessment and try improve my IELTS after that, without another assessment from AIMS? I might in the future try one more attempt with the IELTS but if I’m going to have to go for a points tested visa, I’ll probably look into the PTE if I fail to get an 8.0. I did appeal it, as I thought they might be willing to find half a mark, I was wrong.

I’m also presuming I can’t submit an EOI until the exam is successfully passed either?

Cheers!
I think you can submit a different test for points.

Some assessments require academic IELTS, whilst a general test is all that is required for points (although you can use the academic if you prefer - I did).

old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 15th 2022, 7:16 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 3
Ceebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I think you can submit a different test for points.

Some assessments require academic IELTS, whilst a general test is all that is required for points (although you can use the academic if you prefer - I did).
Okay dokey, thank you!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me that the other three parts of the IELTS are relatively straight forward, yet, they are very strict and not lenient with the writing. It’s a tad annoying!
Ceebs is offline  
Old May 15th 2022, 7:32 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 28,072
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Originally Posted by Ceebs View Post
Okay dokey, thank you!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me that the other three parts of the IELTS are relatively straight forward, yet, they are very strict and not lenient with the writing. It’s a tad annoying!
They are all relatively straight forward - google IELTS writing 8.0 examples. It should explain what they are looking for.

There is a difference in what they are looking for between general and academic.

ETA - I got 7.5 in reading on first test (did it straight after a night shift). All 9.0 on second. I was an industrial sparky / electrical tech in the UK. I did Academic test both times as quicker to get a place

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 15th 2022 at 7:35 am.
old.sparkles is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.