British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/uk-biomedical-scientist-looking-move-australia-943972/)

Ceebs May 14th 2022 11:46 am

UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice or even someone with a similar experience. I’m a biomedical scientist from the UK and I am looking to move to Australia.

I’m of the understanding that the first step really is the IELTS exam, which I’ve done. I got full marks on everything except the writing which I got 7.5 for. I’m really disappointed with it, because I obviously wanted a minimum of 8.0 for additional visa points. That said, if necessary I can do it again and try to gain an extra 0.5. I would ideally like to not have to though.

What I’m struggling to find out is if my AIMS assessment IELTS results has to be the same as that, that I would apply for my visa with. Ie can I submit for a skills assessment with AIMS with the 7.5 writing now and then later down the line redo the IELTS to try and gain additional points for a visa if I manage to get an 8.0, without me having to resubmit for another skills assessment?

I’m also aware that I’ll have to sit the AIMS exam which is a bit daunting, as I’m a blood transfusion scientist. Does anyone know if there is ever exceptions to the rule? Has anyone ever submitted a skills assessment and been told they are qualified to be a medical scientist without the exam having to be sat? I’m secretly crossing my fingers that it might be the case. It’s a long shot, I know!

Following IELTS, AIMS assessment and the AIMS exam, I’m assuming then I will be able to get things moving properly. Is that correct?

Does anyone know how Australian laboratories feel about taking on a UK trained biomedical scientist as a laboratory assistant initially and helping them get through the AIMS exam, then giving them a medical laboratory scientist position once they’ve passed?

I realise this is a long post, so thank you in advance for any help or feedback you provide in relation to this matter.

Thank you!

verystormy May 15th 2022 5:43 am

Re: UK biomedical scientist looking to move to Australia

You are pretty much all correct, except about ILETS. You need to have it before you submit your expression of interest. You might want to look at doing the PTE test instead as many find it easier.

I am also a big believer in getting a registered migration agent involved as they can be invaluable.

Ceebs May 15th 2022 6:39 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13114925)
You are pretty much all correct, except about ILETS. You need to have it before you submit your expression of interest. You might want to look at doing the PTE test instead as many find it easier.

I am also a big believer in getting a registered migration agent involved as they can be invaluable.

Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if I can submit my skills assessment and try improve my IELTS after that, without another assessment from AIMS? I might in the future try one more attempt with the IELTS but if I’m going to have to go for a points tested visa, I’ll probably look into the PTE if I fail to get an 8.0. I did appeal it, as I thought they might be willing to find half a mark, I was wrong.

I’m also presuming I can’t submit an EOI until the exam is successfully passed either?

Cheers!

old.sparkles May 15th 2022 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Ceebs (Post 13114932)
Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Do you know if I can submit my skills assessment and try improve my IELTS after that, without another assessment from AIMS? I might in the future try one more attempt with the IELTS but if I’m going to have to go for a points tested visa, I’ll probably look into the PTE if I fail to get an 8.0. I did appeal it, as I thought they might be willing to find half a mark, I was wrong.

I’m also presuming I can’t submit an EOI until the exam is successfully passed either?

Cheers!

I think you can submit a different test for points.

Some assessments require academic IELTS, whilst a general test is all that is required for points (although you can use the academic if you prefer - I did).

Ceebs May 15th 2022 7:16 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13114935)
I think you can submit a different test for points.

Some assessments require academic IELTS, whilst a general test is all that is required for points (although you can use the academic if you prefer - I did).

Okay dokey, thank you!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me that the other three parts of the IELTS are relatively straight forward, yet, they are very strict and not lenient with the writing. It’s a tad annoying!

old.sparkles May 15th 2022 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Ceebs (Post 13114940)
Okay dokey, thank you!

Seems a bit ridiculous to me that the other three parts of the IELTS are relatively straight forward, yet, they are very strict and not lenient with the writing. It’s a tad annoying!

They are all relatively straight forward - google IELTS writing 8.0 examples. It should explain what they are looking for.

There is a difference in what they are looking for between general and academic.

ETA - I got 7.5 in reading on first test (did it straight after a night shift). All 9.0 on second. I was an industrial sparky / electrical tech in the UK. I did Academic test both times as quicker to get a place