Two visa applications?

Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Richardwh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two visa applications?

Apologies if this has already been covered before. I have just submitted a 175 visa application as a medical diagnostic radiographer, and am under the impression things are going to move very slowly - more like years than months. Is it possible to sumbit another application concurrently for a work permit for a specifc employer and move to australia using this while the permanent residence visa procceses? From speaking to a locum agent in WA, I as given the impression that work permits are proccessed fairly quickly. I was reluctant to apply for a sponsored visa at first as I'd gone down that route before in canada and found it too restrictive.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two visa applications?

Originally Posted by Richardwh
Apologies if this has already been covered before. I have just submitted a 175 visa application as a medical diagnostic radiographer, and am under the impression things are going to move very slowly - more like years than months. Is it possible to sumbit another application concurrently for a work permit for a specifc employer and move to australia using this while the permanent residence visa procceses? From speaking to a locum agent in WA, I as given the impression that work permits are proccessed fairly quickly. I was reluctant to apply for a sponsored visa at first as I'd gone down that route before in canada and found it too restrictive.

Any ideas?
There's no such thing in Aus as a "work permit"- sounds like you are looking at a 457 visa.If you can find a sponsor then yes, its perfectly OK to have both applications in at once
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply
Yes a 457 visa was what I had in mind. From what I understand though it's very similar to the work permit I had for canada in that it would only let me work for a specific employer. May be the best option though. Do you know if 457 visa holders have problems getting credit cards or obtaining mortgages? In canada I wasn't able to get a credit card unless I paid a 'collateral' bond equal to the limit on the card.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

To get a credit card on a 457 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have employment. The credit limit might be small to start off with but they seem to increase that very quickly if you repay it regularly. We kept getting offers to extend our credit to up to $15,000

For mortgages, it will depend on the lending institution (some won't lend to non permanent residents), your income, your deposit (some require at least a 20% deposit), and you will need to be approved by the Foreign Investment Review Board. You can't buy an investment property but you can buy your principal place of residence.

I may be wrong on the above and I'm sure others will quickly put me right...
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Go Global is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome to BE

Always good to welcome a fellow radiographer.
A few practicalities on living on a 457 visa.
Yes you will be limited to that employer but it has become easier to transfer between employers if your temp visa is within date.Could run into difficulties due to timing of transferring but it is possible OH moved from QLD to NSW.
I assume you are UK trained and have AIR accrediation.
There can be big differences between pay and conditions between employers.
Also you will need to registrar in each state you work in there is no nation scheme as HPC the AIR is a bit like SOR.
If you work in NSW and have kids you will be expected to pay for public school,same goes for ACT but they will waive fee if your profession is on new SOL.
We bought a house on a 457 back in 2007 pre GFC we had 20% and had to have application approved by FIRB as previous poster stated.
Which locum agency have you been using?
If you've got any other questions post away or if they are boring rads questions PM me.

Good luck

GG

Last edited by Go Global; Oct 15th 2010 at 12:35 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Yes I'm UK trained and have AIR accreditation. I'm with jennie reeves locum agency in the UK. Work has dried up recently, and I'm basically unemployed now. I've been in touch with choice one in WA, who were going to search for a sponsor. My plan was to get a 175 visa becuase I was intending to go into radiography lecturing after a while, which I'd imagine would cause problems on a 457 visa as it's a change of professions, not just employer.

Bit of a general question here, what's the radiography profession like in aus?

Thanks for the info on credit cards/mortgages BTW
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Go Global is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a number of agencies over here.
Try Global Health Source based in Perth as well.
I've known them since 2001 off and on.Spot on with paperwork etc.
I would recommend them.Nice folk as well.
Radiography is a little different here.
Very little role development as yet but that's changing.
Standard views will surprise you.Lat chests for most things and oblique everything gen up your projections and bring kitty.
Consider trying to discuss LAFHA with agency it can be done on 457.
Search out the other aus migration forums for the lowdown this.
I've been only doing bits and bobs since being in NSW mainly short term locums just because it suits our family life more.

GG
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Global
Consider trying to discuss LAFHA with agency it can be done on 457.
GG
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you could only apply for LAFHA if you are planning on leaving Oz at some point (or at least that you MAY leave) and that as soon as you have applied for perminant residency you can no longer claim it. So if the OP already has a PR application in then they won't be able to claim.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
To get a credit card on a 457 shouldn't be a problem as long as you have employment. The credit limit might be small to start off with but they seem to increase that very quickly if you repay it regularly. We kept getting offers to extend our credit to up to $15,000

For mortgages, it will depend on the lending institution (some won't lend to non permanent residents), your income, your deposit (some require at least a 20% deposit), and you will need to be approved by the Foreign Investment Review Board. You can't buy an investment property but you can buy your principal place of residence.

I may be wrong on the above and I'm sure others will quickly put me right...
Hi,

Have heard that there are changes to rules for temporary residents getting mortgages so would check this out.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you could only apply for LAFHA if you are planning on leaving Oz at some point (or at least that you MAY leave) and that as soon as you have applied for perminant residency you can no longer claim it. So if the OP already has a PR application in then they won't be able to claim.
LAFHA is available to anyone. It's negotiated between the employer and employee. When my husband moved to Perth from Adelaide he discussed it with his employer but decided on the paid accommodation in its place.

So long as the employee is living away from his/her usual residence for work they can get LAFHA.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
LAFHA is available to anyone. It's negotiated between the employer and employee. When my husband moved to Perth from Adelaide he discussed it with his employer but decided on the paid accommodation in its place.

So long as the employee is living away from his/her usual residence for work they can get LAFHA.
Yes, I think that is the exact point. Once you have applied for PR you are showing that you are planning on that being your usual residence so can not claim... so I have read.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yes, I think that is the exact point. Once you have applied for PR you are showing that you are planning on that being your usual residence so can not claim... so I have read.
No,that is not correct. We were permanent residents at the time. Until your PR application is approved you are still temporary residents with your home in another country. Even if you are PR in Australia if you work away from your home you are entitled to it. PR or citizens for example who make their home in Sydney but work in Melbourne could get LAFHA.