British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Turist Visitor Visa – Health issues of My Mum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/turist-visitor-visa-%E2%80%93-health-issues-my-mum-767706/)

withorn Aug 9th 2012 2:06 am

Turist Visitor Visa – Health issues of My Mum

We are settled in Australia & acquired the Citizenship & want to invite my parents for 6 months on visit visa.

My Mum has suffered from minor heart ailment in the past though not serious & has diabetes and spondylitic.

Just concerned, how it going to impact the visa application once she goes thro’ health examination.

We shall take a comprehensive health insure to cover though.

One friend said that they might not get more than 3 months of visa.

Other said they just need to health insurance to cover the diagnosed ailment if any?

Confused.

Appreciate if folk can share their experiences & understanding.

Antney Aug 9th 2012 2:22 am

Re: Turist Visitor Visa – Health issues of My Mum

Originally Posted by withorn (Post 10217769)
We are settled in Australia & acquired the Citizenship & want to invite my parents for 6 months on visit visa.

My Mum has suffered from minor heart ailment in the past though not serious & has diabetes and spondylitic.

Just concerned, how it going to impact the visa application once she goes thro’ health examination.

We shall take a comprehensive health insure to cover though.

One friend said that they might not get more than 3 months of visa.

Other said they just need to health insurance to cover the diagnosed ailment if any?

Confused.

Appreciate if folk can share their experiences & understanding.

I don't think health conditions are considered for an ETA (Tourist Visa) which is valid for a 3 month stay. The conditions might be different for a long stay visitor visa, but I can't understand why they would be as your parents are only visiting Australia.

I would definitely suggest that you take out travel insurance for them covering medical costs just in case they are ill whilst they are here.

Dorothy Aug 9th 2012 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Antney (Post 10217793)
I don't think health conditions are considered for an ETA (Tourist Visa) which is valid for a 3 month stay. The conditions might be different for a long stay visitor visa, but I can't understand why they would be as your parents are only visiting Australia.

I would definitely suggest that you take out travel insurance for them covering medical costs just in case they are ill whilst they are here.

The OP's parents are likely from a non-ETA visa country, so need a 676 visa.

kezzabird Sep 9th 2012 10:35 am

I was just wondering was this issue cleared up? I am looking for same info, we are getting married next year and have invited a few older relies from blighty. The tourist visa application mentions medicals, naturally they will all have travel insurance, can't understand why they would need medicals for a tourist visa???

Dorothy Sep 9th 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 10271355)
I was just wondering was this issue cleared up? I am looking for same info, we are getting married next year and have invited a few older relies from blighty. The tourist visa application mentions medicals, naturally they will all have travel insurance, can't understand why they would need medicals for a tourist visa???

Are they applying for 676 tourist visas or will they come on ETAs?

kezzabird Sep 10th 2012 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 10271393)
Are they applying for 676 tourist visas or will they come on ETAs?

Just a basic tourist visa, they are coming for 4 weeks. But are 60, 65 and 70 years of age :unsure:

Jilliebee Sep 10th 2012 1:38 pm

My parents are in their 60s and have never had to do a medical to get an ETA visa when they come over. Have your relatives been asked to get one done or are you just wondering if they will need one?

kezzabird Sep 10th 2012 9:18 pm

They have been over a number of times and never had to do a medical before, but when they went to the travel agents to enquire about flights the other day, the travel agent said that Australia had changed their policy and the visa application mentions a medical and where to get one??? It did say DO NOT get a medical unless asked to do so, I'm just panicking a bit as some of my relies have health issues.

Pollyana Sep 10th 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 10273948)
They have been over a number of times and never had to do a medical before, but when they went to the travel agents to enquire about flights the other day, the travel agent said that Australia had changed their policy and the visa application mentions a medical and where to get one??? It did say DO NOT get a medical unless asked to do so, I'm just panicking a bit as some of my relies have health issues.

I would get them to apply online themselves (or get a friend to help if necessary) then you will know whether Aus are actually requesting it or whether the travel agents are being difficult. I have heard of meds being requested before on an ETA but only once and I think the person had a lot of medical issues.

Jilliebee Sep 10th 2012 10:46 pm

My mum got her ETA visa online yesterday. She is 66 and no mention of medical. Just going to book her flight now - yeah! Think the travel agent may be a tad confused as to visa requirements for tourists??

Dorothy Sep 11th 2012 2:19 am

My 86 year old mother came over 2 years ago and didn't have to do medicals for her ETA either. I agree - it sounds like the travel agent is being difficult and the OP's rellies should just apply online themselves.

campervanfan Sep 11th 2012 8:35 am

just did mine the other day too.....almost instant & no health requirement- travel agents/estate agents-what's the difference ? they all peddle in confusion & guesswork :rofl: do as suggested & go online yourself.

Pollyana Sep 11th 2012 9:04 am

DIAC can request a medical if they want to - possible reasons could include if the person has been turned down for a longer term visa for medical reasons. However it isn't essential. Bypass the travel agent and just apply online.