Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Oz as tourist with 309 application pending

Wikiposts

Travelling to Oz as tourist with 309 application pending

Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of
Default Travelling to Oz as tourist with 309 application pending

We applied for 309 in June 2011. After much discussion with my fiancée who is now back in Sydney(forced due to tier 5 expiry) I have decided to travel to Australia on my current etourist visa, valid till march. Visiting friends and relatives is allowed on this.

I really could do with being there as we have a wedding to finish planning which is in April, and she could really do with a hand setting up our place to live, I have to drive our car up from tassie to Sydney. And there's the small case of me missing her.

Does anybody know of anyone that has ever been stopped from doing this or turned away. Are the above valid reasons to travel? Will I be ok only having about $1500 but free accomodation with my spouse. Also I don't really want to waste money on a return flight.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Oz as tourist with 309 application pending

Originally Posted by martin1978
We applied for 309 in June 2011. After much discussion with my fiancée who is now back in Sydney(forced due to tier 5 expiry) I have decided to travel to Australia on my current etourist visa, valid till march. Visiting friends and relatives is allowed on this.

I really could do with being there as we have a wedding to finish planning which is in April, and she could really do with a hand setting up our place to live, I have to drive our car up from tassie to Sydney. And there's the small case of me missing her.

Does anybody know of anyone that has ever been stopped from doing this or turned away. Are the above valid reasons to travel? Will I be ok only having about $1500 but free accomodation with my spouse. Also I don't really want to waste money on a return flight.
No-one can predict whether Immigration will let you in but its highly unlikely that they will stop you.
Make sure you tell DIAC you are visiting Aus while waiting for the 309 to be granted, just give them the dates you'll be there
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No-one can predict whether Immigration will let you in but its highly unlikely that they will stop you.
Make sure you tell DIAC you are visiting Aus while waiting for the 309 to be granted, just give them the dates you'll be there
So really I am just as likely or unlikely as any other tourist. Thank you.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:55 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

That was our plan too. We applied in June 2010, booked flights for Nov 2010, advised Immigration our flight details, and our visa was actually granted the day before I flew. So fingers crossed same happens for you hey!

Not sure how much difference it makes, but we were advised by an agent to book a flight out of Australia too (doesn't have to be a flight back to UK), as it may help your case that you are not planning on overstaying.

We booked a fully refundable one way ticket to New Zealand. As I did not need to offshore for visa grant, I was then just able to cancel it and get a full refund!

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Is it true that airlines have started refusing permission to board recently when you are not in posession of an onward/return ticket.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
Is it true that airlines have started refusing permission to board recently when you are not in posession of an onward/return ticket.
Not that I've heard. The airline's concern is that the country you are heading for should accept you - hence you need a valid visa. If the country you are heading for has a policy of only accepting tourists with an onward booking then the airline would have to insist on it, but Australia doesn't have this policy.
Many people on here travel without onward tickets - tourists and WHV holders included.

If in doubt though check with your airline.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks polyanna. I think all this waiting around for visas is just making me paranoid. My CO is back from leave tomorrow so should get a reply to my email in the next few days.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

I received an email this morning from my CO saying it is fine to travel on my tourist visa but I have to leave when she is ready to grant the 309.