Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Travel overseas after Australian citizenship ceremony before getting passport

Travel overseas after Australian citizenship ceremony before getting passport

Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

sanch.alex86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel overseas after Australian citizenship ceremony before getting passport

Hi,

I recently moved to New Zealand to work (after my citizenship approval but before ceremony). Now, I am invited to attend citizenship ceremony (2 weeks later on 24th January 2019). Since it is difficult for me to get an extended leave from work at the moment (to stay in Australia until I get my passport), may I know if it is possible to travel to Australia and attend the citizenship ceremony? Then, once I get citizenship certificate, travel back to New Zealand on a foreign passport (let's say a day after ceremony) and apply for Australian passport in Australian high commission in New Zealand?

Regards,
Alex
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel overseas after Australian citizenship ceremony before getting passpor

Yes.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Travel overseas after Australian citizenship ceremony before getting passpor

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes.
Thank you.
One think I forgot to mention that I used my Australian permanent residency to come to New Zealand. So, once I attend the citizenship ceremony, I heard that the PR visa will be void/canceled. In that case, am I able to check-in at the airport from Australia to New Zealand after my ceremony?
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The simplest thing to do is to make an appointment with the passport office for an emergency passport. This can arrange a passport in hours. I had my ceremony on a Thursday night, had a pre arranged meeting at the passport office for 8:30am Friday morning and by 12 lunch time had a passport as I was leaving the country the Saturday.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
The simplest thing to do is to make an appointment with the passport office for an emergency passport. This can arrange a passport in hours. I had my ceremony on a Thursday night, had a pre arranged meeting at the passport office for 8:30am Friday morning and by 12 lunch time had a passport as I was leaving the country the Saturday.
Thanks. Not sure if I am eligible for an emergency because I moved to the New Zealand recently.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get an expedited passport application. You can start it on line then once you have certificate apply. You should be able to collect it in a couple of days.
You are correct that your visa will be cancelled so you would otherwise be arriving on a UK passport with no visa for NZ. They should be able to check and if you have your certificate with you you might be OK but be prepared for delays at custome and arrive at airport to check in early so they can verify your status before you fly.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Get an expedited passport application. You can start it on line then once you have certificate apply. You should be able to collect it in a couple of days.
You are correct that your visa will be cancelled so you would otherwise be arriving on a UK passport with no visa for NZ. They should be able to check and if you have your certificate with you you might be OK but be prepared for delays at custome and arrive at airport to check in early so they can verify your status before you fly.
I do not have a UK passport.
I just called New Zealand immigration and was told that I can enter New Zealand on a foreign passport and Australian Citizenship Certificate. She also put a note on my file/passport on their system about this so there would be no problem at the time of arrival. Hopefully it will go smoothly at the airport during check in.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Just an update on my case:

I traveled to Australia and attended my citizenship ceremony and received the certificate. One day after, I was able to travel back to New Zealand with my foreign passport and never asked for either visa or certificate in Melbourne and Christchurch (NZ).

Thanks everyone for your helps.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanch.alex86
Just an update on my case:

I traveled to Australia and attended my citizenship ceremony and received the certificate. One day after, I was able to travel back to New Zealand with my foreign passport and never asked for either visa or certificate in Melbourne and Christchurch (NZ).

Thanks everyone for your helps.
That is good to know. May well have been different if you had not contacted the appropriate authorities as it looks like they did put an alert on the system for you.

Congratulations on the Citizenship, will you also be getting NZ citizenship at some point?
Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl

That is good to know. May well have been different if you had not contacted the appropriate authorities as it looks like they did put an alert on the system for you.

Congratulations on the Citizenship, will you also be getting NZ citizenship at some point?
Thanks a lot.
Probably not for NZ citizenship as I want to move back to Australia in future.