Travel on a bridging visa

Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:01 am
Just Joined

samishah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel on a bridging visa

Hey folks,

I completed my 475 requirements in August and applied for the 887. Once the application was submitted online, got the email saying I was now on a bridging visa. I had two questions regarding this:

1) My 5 year old daughter's passport was close to expiry so we just got her new one made. How do I update the immigration department about the new passport details so they get included in our 887 processing?

2) I'm originally from Pakistan and so am anticipating a leeeeengthy processing time for the 887. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except a close relative back in Pakistan is in the final stages of cancer and I'd like to travel back home to see him one last time. However, I've heard that international travel on the bridging visa is discouraged, and especially in the current political climate, I'm paranoid about a trip to Pakistan somehow further delaying the 887 processing. Does that make sense?

Advice?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel on a bridging visa

Originally Posted by samishah
Hey folks,

I completed my 475 requirements in August and applied for the 887. Once the application was submitted online, got the email saying I was now on a bridging visa. I had two questions regarding this:

1) My 5 year old daughter's passport was close to expiry so we just got her new one made. How do I update the immigration department about the new passport details so they get included in our 887 processing?

2) I'm originally from Pakistan and so am anticipating a leeeeengthy processing time for the 887. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except a close relative back in Pakistan is in the final stages of cancer and I'd like to travel back home to see him one last time. However, I've heard that international travel on the bridging visa is discouraged, and especially in the current political climate, I'm paranoid about a trip to Pakistan somehow further delaying the 887 processing. Does that make sense?

Advice?
To update passport details you need form 929.

Has the original 475 visa expired?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for telling me about from 929, just checked it out! Should I fill it out and upload it to the same place I submitted my 887 application on the immi site?

The 475 doesn't expire for another 10 months.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samishah
Thanks for telling me about from 929, just checked it out! Should I fill it out and upload it to the same place I submitted my 887 application on the immi site?

The 475 doesn't expire for another 10 months.
Then although you have a bridging visa in the background, your 475 is still in force and you would be travelling on this visa.

Processing times for 887 is estimated as 6 months - Skilled Migration Visa Processing Times

If your daughter already has her new passport, complete the form and upload as before, or forward to your CO I think
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot old.sparkles! It's a relief to know that I can still travel, just might try going back to see my cousin for what might be the last time.

I saw the processing times for 887 as listed, but sadly from conversations with other Pakistanis, it seems like 18 months is actually pretty much the standard. Which sucks but there doesn't seem to be much anyone can do about it.