Travel before citizenship ceremony

Old May 24th 2014, 2:17 am
Just Joined

gillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travel before citizenship ceremony

Hi All,

Its mentioned in the Australian Citizenship-Travel during Application Wiki page
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ng_Application

that "Longer trips may be a problem. You usually only get a few weeks notice of a citizenship ceremony."

I want to go to my home country to join my spouse. I am able to come back as soon as I hear anything about my ceremony. Will going out of Australia stops my processing for assigning me a Ceremony date? Do I need to be present in Australia in order to get a ceremony date? Will this travel hurt my citizenship process in any way? I cant find this information anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old May 26th 2014, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel before citizenship ceremony

No, you are fine to travel
Old May 27th 2014, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

gillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of lightgillyb is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for reply. I checked with Immigration about travel, they said I can travel but they wont send invitation to my address abroad or email me. They are not even able to let me know ceremony date on phone as well. Feeling like stuck in the deadlock.
Old May 27th 2014, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyb
Thanks for reply. I checked with Immigration about travel, they said I can travel but they wont send invitation to my address abroad or email me. They are not even able to let me know ceremony date on phone as well. Feeling like stuck in the deadlock.
When you apply for citizenship, they do ask you to declare your intent to stay. So I guess they are not going to make it easy for people that leave the moment they lodge their application. From what you have said, I think you are going to have to stay until you have the ceremony.
Old May 28th 2014, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Minimum wait is about 3 months, so i think its safe to go for travel and asking someone to check my mails in case i get an invitation.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
When you apply for citizenship, they do ask you to declare your intent to stay. So I guess they are not going to make it easy for people that leave the moment they lodge their application. From what you have said, I think you are going to have to stay until you have the ceremony.

Last edited by gillyb; May 28th 2014 at 5:33 pm.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum wait is about 3 months, so i think its safe to go for travel and asking someone to check my mails in case i get an invitation.
So there was never a problem then ...
Old May 28th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

There was problem, but since i started this thread I talked to immigration several times and they said you can travel but make sure to return back before ceremony. I wanted to come back when i get invitation, but now it seems that i will come back after couple of months irrespective of if i get invite or not.

I was concerned about the processing getting stopped due to the fact that I am out of country. based on verystormy's reply and few more experiences shared by people in similar situation it seems they don't stop processing if you are outside Australia ( also in one of the old threads about same topic, someone mentioned he went for vacations and when came back he got invitation letter in mailbox).

So hopefully its safe to travel.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So there was never a problem then ...
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

There was problem, but since i started this thread I talked to immigration several times and they said you can travel but make sure to return back before ceremony. I wanted to come back when i get invitation, but now it seems that i will come back after couple of months irrespective of if i get invite or not.

I was concerned about the processing getting stopped due to the fact that I am out of country. based on verystormy's reply and few more experiences shared by people in similar situation it seems they don't stop processing if you are outside Australia ( also in one of the old threads about same topic, someone mentioned he went for vacations and when came back he got invitation letter in mailbox).

So hopefully its safe to travel.
Can't anybody check your mails at Australian address and let you know whether you got the invitation letter ? If can, then you can come for the ceremony and no issues.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Many councils post the dates of future ceremonies on their websites so that should give you an idea of when the ceremony will be. I think in the majority of cases the most you will have to wait is 2 ceremonies from the date your citizenship application was accepted.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes, thats the plan, I mentioned it above.

Originally Posted by muditha
Can't anybody check your mails at Australian address and let you know whether you got the invitation letter ? If can, then you can come for the ceremony and no issues.

Thanks for this information. I already checked with my city council website. 1 ceremony day is already passed since i was approved. Hopefully i will get invite soon.
Originally Posted by spottydog
Many councils post the dates of future ceremonies on their websites so that should give you an idea of when the ceremony will be. I think in the majority of cases the most you will have to wait is 2 ceremonies from the date your citizenship application was accepted.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:08 am
Just Joined

exotichead is an unknown quantity at this point

HI gillyb

im in a similar situation where i need to go to my home country to see my spouse. Im waiting for my ceremony date. i have checked with diac website and several forums and found conflicting information. Im still in limbo whether to stay or go for vacation and come back once the letter arrives. I do have a friend who can check my mail while im away from australia.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 12:29 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

DIBP Actually has nothing to do with the ceremony date, they pass on the approved applicants to your council and you council allocates the ceremony... So pointless to contact DIBP once approved...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

This is not true, DIBP allocate the applicants to a ceremony. they send the list to council and then council sends invitation to attend ceremony to the candidates on the list.

Originally Posted by teza
DIBP Actually has nothing to do with the ceremony date, they pass on the approved applicants to your council and you council allocates the ceremony... So pointless to contact DIBP once approved...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

exotichead is an unknown quantity at this point

so is it ok to travel while waiting for your ceremony ?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

I think its okay to travel and let DIBP know about your travel plans as well. I am already in USA. Please talk to DIBP and then decide. i will update this thread if I get Invite to ceremony.

Originally Posted by exotichead
so is it ok to travel while waiting for your ceremony ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.