British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Transfer Visa to a new Passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/transfer-visa-new-passport-887469/)

qualitystreet2017 Nov 15th 2016 2:54 pm

Transfer Visa to a new Passport

Hello guys,

My immigration was completed by an agent & they used their account to apply for the immigration on-line. My visa was already issued. Now, after some years, I want to transfer my visa to a newly issued passport. This task I want to do myself.

Can I make a new on-line immigration account? The on-line immigration account which was used before belonged to the agent & I don't have access to it.

Appreciate guidance from members :thumbup:

Pulaski Nov 15th 2016 3:01 pm

Re: Transfer Visa to a new Passport

You don't transfer visas when you get a new passport. The validity of a visa is not contingent on the validity of the passport to which it is attached. Therefore you need to carry your new passport and your old passport with the visa in it.

Pollyana Nov 15th 2016 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by qualitystreet2017 (Post 12105700)
Hello guys,

My immigration was completed by an agent & they used their account to apply for the immigration on-line. My visa was already issued. Now, after some years, I want to transfer my visa to a newly issued passport. This task I want to do myself.

Can I make a new on-line immigration account? The on-line immigration account which was used before belonged to the agent & I don't have access to it.

Appreciate guidance from members :thumbup:

If you don't have an Immi account then you can use Form 929 from the Immi website, and either email it or mail it to your nearest DIBP office. They will udate their records and you can check on VEVO to make sure it has been done.

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/929.pdf

qualitystreet2017 Nov 15th 2016 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12105705)
You don't transfer visas when you get a new passport. The validity of a visa is not contingent on the validity of the passport to which it is attached. Therefore you need to carry your new passport and your old passport with the visa in it.

I don't want to carry old passport with me; I want to transfer the visa sticker. Your guidance would be appreciated in this regards.

Pollyana Nov 15th 2016 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12105705)

Australia does not put a physical visa label into passports anymore, its all electronic. So while carrying the od passport is a good idea, the new passport details can also be sent to Immigration who will then update the electronic records and make life easier when travelling.

Pollyana Nov 15th 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by qualitystreet2017 (Post 12105710)
I don't want to carry old passport with me; I want to transfer the visa sticker. Your guidance would be appreciated in this regards.

You cant get a new sticker, they do not issue them anymore. Just follow the instructions in my post above and use 929 to send the new details to DIBP.

Pulaski Nov 15th 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by qualitystreet2017 (Post 12105710)

The law doesn't care what you want, a visa sticker cannot be transferred to a new passport. I have seen many visas from many countries and it is very common for people to carry two, or more, passports because of the visas they have held for many years.

The only alternative would be to apply for a new visa, which might cause problems as you already have a visa.

Pollyana Nov 15th 2016 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12105727)
The law doesn't care what you want, a visa sticker cannot be transferred to a new passport. I have seen many visas from many countries and it is very common for people to carry two, or more, passports because of the visas they have held for many years.

The only alternative would be to apply for a new visa, which might cause problems as you already have a visa.

The OP cannot get a new visa sticker. Australia does not issue them any more.
Nor does he need to carry multiple passports. He just needs to supply DIBP with the details of his new passport. The electronic records will then be updated linking the existing visa to the new passport.
He should not apply for a new visa. Totally pointless.

Pulaski Nov 15th 2016 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12105735)
The OP cannot get a new visa sticker. Australia does not issue them any more.
Nor does he need to carry multiple passports. He just needs to supply DIBP with the details of his new passport. The electronic records will then be updated linking the existing visa to the new passport.
He should not apply for a new visa. Totally pointless.

My advice is generic, while I suspect that your guess that the visa is an Australian one, is correct, the OP didn't actually say.

BritInParis Nov 15th 2016 10:21 pm

As mentioned Form 929 to attached your electronic visa record to your new passport is the only way to go.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12105744)
My advice is generic, while I suspect that your guess that the visa is an Australian one, is correct, the OP didn't actually say.

Well this is the Australian visa subforum... :whistle: ;)

Dorothy Nov 16th 2016 1:33 am

But the OP was asking for specific advice :rolleyes:

DML Nov 16th 2016 6:12 am

It is dead simple. Fill the form in with the details of the new passport and the passport on record gets updated. If you're able to use Vevo, the online service, you can check when it switches over from one passport to the next.

Pollyana Nov 16th 2016 8:43 am

I may be teaching you to suck eggs here but in a situation like this generic advice is pretty useless. Different countries have different rules. Australia does NOT ask its visa holders to carry their old passports. It is possible to enter and eave the country dong that but it almost certainly means a long delay at Immigration.

As for the OP not stating that the visa is an Australian one, well its a reasonable assumption as this is the Australia forum and it is a very common question. He even talks about the Immigration account, which is used to apply for the visa in the first place.
When someone posts in the US forum you guys who are regulars in there presume it is a US visa, same with Australia.

Pollyana Nov 16th 2016 8:43 am

Originally Posted by DML (Post 12106330)
It is dead simple. Fill the form in with the details of the new passport and the passport on record gets updated. If you're able to use Vevo, the online service, you can check when it switches over from one passport to the next.

:goodpost:

Pulaski Nov 16th 2016 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12106418)
I may be teaching you to suck eggs here but in a situation like this generic advice is pretty useless. Different countries have different rules. Australia .......

You're missing the main points, that we DO agree on - the visa cannot be transferred and applying for a new one is pointless. And to be brutally honest, does it really matter if he carries an extra passport or not? No.

:getcoat: